Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been dealing with this problem for about a month now and its getting really aggravating. A while back i noticed my cv boots were both torn so I decided to get my axles replaced. After taking it to a shop and getting them replaced the car started to shake at about 20 mph and went away after 30mph, but then again after 60mph +. So i figured they were bad axles and took them back to the shop to have them replaced again. So the shop "supposedly" changed the axles again, but when I got the car back, it was the same problem. So third time i bring it back and demand they replace them again because it has to be the axles. So third times a charm right, wrong! They even said they took it to an acura dealer down the street and the dealer said it shakes due to it being lowered. BTW i am on tein basics for suspension mods, nothing else. I had the car inspected for balanced wheels, bought new tires, and even had someone check out all other suspension components with nothing wrong. Now can someone please give me some insight, because if the car wasnt shaking prior to bringing into that shop and now it does wouldnt it have to be axles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
where is the shake coming from? the steering wheel or do you feel it in your seats, and by the sounds of things and what you have replaced, it could be you have a wrapped rotor, check your brakes

·
Speed Density
72 Posts
They shouldn't charge you if they can't fix it right. Plus, they are suppose to test drive it and if it still shakes they need to fix it before giving back to you.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where is the shake coming from? the steering wheel or do you feel it in your seats, and by the sounds of things and what you have replaced, it could be you have a wrapped rotor, check your brakes
the shaking is coming from the seats. The brakes were just recently replaced and there are no signs of warping at all.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i brought it to another place that pretty much works on all custom cars being lowered and what not. So they said it looks like the intermediate shaft was not removed when they installed the axles. they said it looks like where the axle meets the intermediate shaft it was pulled out with force causing to damage the intermediate shaft. So tomorrow Im going to raise my car just to put a sock in the mechanics mouth, and bring it back to have the intermediate shaft replaced

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorrry if i wasnt clear in my earlier post. The car is shaking only under accleration when going 15-25 mph and when going uphill it is reallly bad. I checked the tie rods and ball joints, everything is fine. Also, I am running my stockies. Tires are good, and wheels are balanced. The passenger side axle is leaking grease and the thing is brand new, the mechanic claims because its so low the pressure of the axles is too much causing it to leak grease. I am going on Monday to raise hell, its obvious these guys dont know what the fu** they're doing.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What brand of an axle did you get? I replaced my OEM ones with EMPIs - highway shake went away, but a new one just below 40 km/h (25 mph) has appeared. I've seen other posts where people had a similar problem with EMPIs.
Do you mean an intermediate shaft by "passenger side axle"? I had ATF leaking from a new right axle seal cause the mechanic didn't install it properly.

·
, Moderator, Performance
2,513 Posts
thats why its better to learn how to do your own work bc than YOU know for SURE what was done and that it will only be done once. and really axles are so easy on the TSX it takes about an hour for both sides at most.

Sounds too me like you should have bought OE axles. the IE shaft isnt really supposed to be separated(which is why it comes with a new set of OE axles), hopefully they didnt bend the IE bearing.

GL

GL

·
Tex_2_Cali
1,081 Posts
i have the same problem. I had shaking on the highways. Replaced with aftermarket axles and now i get shakes between 15-25. Only on accelerations

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am going back tomorrow to have them change out the intermediate shaft and put in another two axles. The intermediate shaft has some play in it and im willing to bet they bent it when changing out the axles. I will keep you guys updated to see if that fixes the problem.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Do explain. You're saying the aftermarket axle is longer than OEM and that causes vibrations only at ~20 mph, and has no other effects?
Yes some aftermarket axles are longer than the oem ones. Happened to me on my civic and had to get the axles made at a shop.

Do you still have the oem ones?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What aftermarket axles are reliable enough to match OEM spec as much as possible without breaking the bank. I am having a problem with these cheap chinese made axles. Ive heard raxxles is good, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
127 Posts
ekjose, still got the OEM axles, I guess i could check to see if the length is exactly the same or not.

vehicle596, so what's the brand of the axles you got?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here's a vid of my old civic with the aftermarket axles. If you noticed the boots are suppose to be somewhat stretched out but they are jammed in together. If yours look like they are jammed then your axles are too long.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts