Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yeah so my family just got back from going to dinner, and they said when they got on the highway the car shut off. The lights went off everything shut down. Luckily they made it safely onto the shoulder and it started back up but WTF how can this happen to a car with like 7000 miles on it? One thing I should mention is that we bought the car with 2000 on it from the dealer. What do u guys think?

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Could you provide us with some more details? Maybe describe any noise, vibration, or other symptoms before, during, and after the occurance (if any).

A complete shutdown (of both mechanical and electrical components) like that is unusual. It's usually one or the other. When you said it had 2000 miles, do you mean it was a floor demo from the dealership or was it purchased as a used car?

·
Registered
43 Posts
my old audi did that. i would be driving and it would shut off. no warning signs no weird noises. just like someone just turned the key to the off position.

never figured out what the problem was...the car was leased, so i just turned it in at the end and bought the tsx.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I had a grand prix that did the same thing, only when turning right, and not all of the time. The dealer replaced the ignition switch and that seemed to solve the problem..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I took the car to acura and had them take a look at the car. Everyone there was extremely nice, and i got to sit in comfortable leather couches and watch satelite on a big screen tv. They also had computers for surfin the internet on. ANyway... the guy told me there were no known power failures on the TSX but he searched for alert codes or something. He did say that having heavy keys could cause the car to accidently turn off. And while my dad was driving he did have a rather large set of keys with him. So they found nothing, but I did get a free car wash out of the deal.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
mcknight said:
......He did say that having heavy keys could cause the car to accidently turn off. And while my dad was driving he did have a rather large set of keys with him. So they found nothing, but I did get a free car wash out of the deal.
Well, I think that's a new one on us -- probably a new one on anybody.
Hard to understand.

I've seen a lot of people who have like millions of keys on the same ring as the car key (I assume that's what you mean?) -- I've never had anything except the car key with my car key.

BTW you're taking it awfully well. Let's hope what happened was a 1-time thing.

If not, I think you can expect more than a car wash next time. :ikno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts