Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had no previous issues in this area. I got in the car to head home from work last night and found that it wouldn't crank. No clicking, nothing. Gages light up as usual. I checked the battery, 12.7 volts. Perhaps it is the starter relay, though I have not yet located it.

I also checked the clutch safety switch with an ohmmeter and it is fine. I'm in the process of removing the ECU in the off chance that there is corrosion inside.

It does have a Viper alarm system. I plan to remove it this weekend (I don't care for the idea of having the wiring messed with on any vehicle and alarms definitely qualify as "messing with the wiring"). Ignition switch? I have yet to try my other key. The immobilizer light is not flashing though. Managed to get it home by push starting it.

Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
How is your immobilizer bypass hooked up? A spare key was used or is the module one of those new ones that are all programming based? Because those go whack too..

Point incase, this happened to me 4 years ago and my car was stranded for a week. Never again. Lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mileage is 130K, but several months ago I had the starter out and replaced the copper contacts/brush holder assembly (was trying to fix the slow crank speed behavior that is common to TSX's).

I am not certain how the immobilizer bypass was set up (previous owner had the alarm/remote start installed and I haven't really looked into it).

Aside from any alarm system complications, the factory service manual suggests four possible causes:

-wires between relay & ignition switch & between relay & starter (this wiring is intercepted by the alarm)
-ignition switch
-clutch interlock (safety) switch (just checked it, tests out correctly)
-starter relay

I looked through the factory service manual and now know where the starter relay is located in the underhood fuse panel. I plan to swap it with a relay of the same type and see if it makes any difference.

Manual also suggests connecting a jumper to the starter solenoid contact and touching that wire to the positive terminal on the battery to test the starter. Although I really don't believe that it is a problem with the starter, it's a basic check and so I plan to perform this test this weekend before I go any further.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it fixed. Turns out that it would make a single click when I turned the key. I thought it was totally silent (I am partially deaf). So it was a faulty starter as some surmised. When I replaced the brush holder assembly I did not replace the plastic plunger (see pic below) which protrudes through the brush holder assembly and as a result the disc shaped push clip apparently popped off and was clinging to the permanent magnet on the side of the case. Thank God I was able to find the new, unused plastic plunger that came with the brush set, and I located a new disc clip in my inherited trays of fasteners (my grandfather-in-law was cool like that).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.