Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 TSX won't start sometimes(randomly) and happened 2 times yet.

1st time : everything is working and sounds good, but the car will just crank and crank while displaying ''Check emission system'' on the MID. I saw my engine head breather was disconnected from my injen intake so I reconnected it and tried to start it after 10 minutes : car started and no more check engine.

2nd time : car won't start and is cranking while displaying the ''Check emission system'' again, but the engine head breather wasn't disconected this time. Cranked for 5 second, didn't work. Tried again and it started and the check engine was gone.

What the heck is this? A faulty sensor that randomly works? I didn't have the time to check the check engine light and can't check it out since it's gone. Happened to someone else? Which sensor could cause the car to refuse to start?

UPDATE:

Car has done it 2 more times and won't turn over all the time now.

But I got some new symptoms when it won't start:

-CES(check emission system) is on but ECU seems to loose memory and won't give me the code.
-ECU loose some of it's memory(AVG speed, fuel range, avg consumption)
-Car WILL start if I unplug the battery making it forgetting the check emission system code

Seems the car won't turn over because it will polute(bad sensor or connection somewhere)

The only thing I did on my car is the 04-08 ECU TSX recall, and the problem has been going on since then. Acura said everything was ok and put the ECU cover on...but now it's acting weird with this check emission system stopping the car to start.

Help?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do you mean the car will start if you unplug the battery? Do you mean once the error is there you unplug the battery and then replug, then crank it and it will start?

Exactly, but I think it was starting by chance, because now even if I unplug the battery, the ECU forgot everything(radio code, etc etc) but the Check Engine comes back immediately and blocks the car to start.

It's simple, when the check engine is on = car won't start
check engine if off = car will start

I'm ****ed..

· Registered
28 Posts
Could be the ECU itself, could be faulty sensor or a short in the wiring. I think you're best bet is to check wiring thoroughly. Swap out the ecu with another one if you can just to see if that works. If that don't work. Then you got all the electrical equipment to diagnose. By the way have you checked basics like, engine oil, coolant level, timing chain, belt pulleys etc?

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be the ECU itself, could be faulty sensor or a short in the wiring. I think you're best bet is to check wiring thoroughly. Swap out the ecu with another one if you can just to see if that works. If that don't work. Then you got all the electrical equipment to diagnose. By the way have you checked basics like, engine oil, coolant level, timing chain, belt pulleys etc?
I think Acura didn't unplug the ECU itself to see if the connection were corroded or not, I'll talk to them tommorow.

Faulty sensors : which one could cause the car refuse to start in the emission system?!

didn't check the coolant level, engine oil or timming chain, but the car is running A1, no weird sound when it starts. Drove the car for 2 hours yesterday without any problems.

· Registered
28 Posts
I think Acura didn't unplug the ECU itself to see if the connection were corroded or not, I'll talk to them tommorow.

Faulty sensors : which one could cause the car refuse to start in the emission system?!

didn't check the coolant level, engine oil or timming chain, but the car is running A1, no weird sound when it starts. Drove the car for 2 hours yesterday without any problems.
To be honest mate, i have never really tinkered with the electrical stuff on my CL9 neither have i actually dismantled a K24/K20. I dont even how many sensors it has. I reckon you're best bet is a Acura Workshop. I can only guess which or what. I like carbys better for that reason, they breakdown in the middle of nowhere one can fix it with a mere set of basic tools. These cars however a PITA to diagnose especially when the ECU is unresponsive. You need a Workshop Manual and all the gizmos along with that. Speaking of Workshop Manual here is a link to that: Acura TSX | Car Service Repair Workshop Manuals

P.S Check both fuse boxes for a blown fuse, you never know it might just be a fuse.

Shewan

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank for your answer guys!

I'm gonna check the fuel pump relay/fuse tomorrow, but can a relay or fuse cause intermittent problem?

EDIT: There was a recall from Acura about bad fuel pump relays on some Acura TSX, I'm gonna replace it tommorow and hope that it was the culprit!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Major update:

Found the EXACT problem.

The green immobilizer light is flashing and blocking my fuel pump from starting(that's why I'm not getting any check engine code from my ECU)

****ing Acura dealership ****ed up my car when they did the recall. wow, I'm gonna show up angry tommorow.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They said that they don't disconect the ECU when they check if there's rust on it.

I dropped the car off at Acura, they should rob me a good 400$ to see what's wrong/change the immobilizer receiver/reprogram the keys...fml.

· ( o)( o)
964 Posts
You're out of your mind if you let them charge you...

It simple:
-Took the car there for ECU issue recall
-They touched the items
-Now the items are messed up

Don't pay a thing!

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You're out of your mind if you let them charge you...

It simple:
-Took the car there for ECU issue recall
-They touched the items
-Now the items are messed up

Don't pay a thing!
If they want me to pay, how the heck can I make them accept to let me go without paying? I'm gonna talk with the service manager if something is wrong, but I have the feeling that it'll be hard to work out.

· ( o)( o)
964 Posts
Yea talk to a Serv. Manager. The GM... whoever... point it is... they were in that area. Touching those items... do the math... something was fiddled with...

· -
1,791 Posts
Major update:

Found the EXACT problem.

The green immobilizer light is flashing and blocking my fuel pump from starting(that's why I'm not getting any check engine code from my ECU)

****ing Acura dealership ****ed up my car when they did the recall. wow, I'm gonna show up angry tommorow.

It's possible but very unlikely that the immobolizer system is acting intermittently. It's a simple system, all electronic with no moving parts.

1. Have you tried using a different ignition key? ie. a different RFID/Chip key.

2. The dealer likely removed one of the battery terminals prior to doing the ECU recall. Check both battery terminals to make sure they are clean and tight.

3. The next logical step would be check/reseat the ECU connectors on the passenger side of the ECU/footwell.
The dealer was in there installing the ECU cover for the recall.
The ignition cylinder immobolizer in the steering column is connected to ECU via the TSX dash harness.

Allowing the engine to crank but not start is how the 1st Gen TSX immobolizer system is designed to work when it doesn't see a valid RFID/Chip key in the ignition.

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1. Yes, didn't work
2. They said they did nothing but put in the new cover
3. I unplugged myself the ECU, but car still didn't start

I've got some update : Acura can't even communicate with my ECU and the mechanics said that the next step was to change the ECU, I hope it's covered by the warranty.

· ( o)( o)
964 Posts
1. Yes, didn't work
2. They said they did nothing but put in the new cover
3. I unplugged myself the ECU, but car still didn't start

I've got some update : Acura can't even communicate with my ECU and the mechanics said that the next step was to change the ECU, I hope it's covered by the warranty.
Don't even listen to that nonsense... :slap:

They're clowns

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.