Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I bought my '06 TSX new and it's been one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. At over 160k miles, it's still running great. I've been looking for ways to extend the life of the car by making upgrades here and there and bring some new tech into this old car.

I really wanted CarPlay since it came out a few years ago. But installing an aftermarket CarPlay head unit isn't practical for TSX models with navigation since the entertainment stack is integrated into the dash.

About a month ago, I came across and had an installer put in a headless CarPlay unit from Naviks that uses the car's 8-inch factory navigation screen as a CarPlay display. It turns out the nav system in the TSX has a second video input, and, with some extra hardware, I'm able to switch the nav screen display between the factory nav user interface (map, A/C controls, audio, display brightness, etc.) and the second video input feed. The extra hardware comes with a switch, but it's a push button that's a little clunky, so I had an installer replace this push button with a Honda fog light switch that fits neatly into one of the blank switch panels to the right of the "VSA Off" switch, and gives it more of a stock look. Pushing the "fog light" switch toggles the nav screen display between the factory nav UI and second video input (CarPlay):

Since the touch events on the screen are recognized only by the car's factory nav UI, I can only control the CarPlay UI with the CarPlay unit's remote, which I mounted on the steering wheel. This isn't ideal since I'd prefer to control CarPlay by touching the screen, but the remote works well enough to get around the CarPlay UI. I can bring up Siri by holding down the center button on the remote and then speak into the CarPlay unit's mic that I mounted by the gauge cluster just behind the steering wheel. Pressing the arrow buttons moves the CarPlay UI's focus state. For the center button, clicking it once translates to a tap on the currently-selected focus state, double-clicking it brings CarPlay to the previous menu, and holding it down invokes Siri.

The video resolution on the factory nav screen isn't the best by any means (it's an analog, non-HD display, after all) and the color reproduction is pretty mediocre compared to smartphone screens, but the nav screen is good enough to read the displayed content:

To more easily change audio tracks and pause the audio while driving, I use a Bluetooth remote with tactile buttons that I mounted by the steering wheel. Once paired, this remote automatically connects to my iPhone whenever I get into the car, which is nice.

Using the larger nav screen to display apps like Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps is nice, and, of course, so much more useful than using the stock DVD-based navigation maps:

I unpaired my iPhone from my car's HandsFreeLink Bluetooth profile to use the Phone app in CarPlay, which allows me to see the caller's name and call duration.

Overall, CarPlay on this unit from Naviks (which appears to be a re-branded version of a product called Carlinke/Carlinkit made by a Chinese company called Huizhou Vlink Technology) works fairly well in day-to-day use. But, annoyingly, it does crash and restart occasionally, and so far I can't tell if the crashes are due to the CarPlay unit's firmware or the iOS device. I'm using an iPhone Xs with iOS 12.0.1.

Still, I'm pretty happy that the factory nav screen now has some added usefulness. Despite the low resolution of this screen and the not-quite-ideal way of navigating the CarPlay UI using the D-pad remote, it's a "good enough" upgrade that I've gotten rid of my phone mount. Anyway, just wanted to share this experience for anyone else out there who may be interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't believe this can be done on a TSX w/o nav (or will it be quite complicated/expensive). The video interface hardware that makes it possible to display a secondary video input like CarPlay assumes the factory nav screen already exists and was designed for the factory nav system's rear ports.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't believe this can be done on a TSX w/o nav (or will it be quite complicated/expensive). The video interface hardware that makes it possible to display a secondary video input like CarPlay assumes the factory nav screen already exists and was designed for the factory nav system's rear ports.

Ok but there's no reason I couldn't swap in a factory NAV head unit, right? Like, it'd fit right in the dash and connect up behind it without a whole new dash?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok but there's no reason I couldn't swap in a factory NAV head unit, right? Like, it'd fit right in the dash and connect up behind it without a whole new dash?
By comparing pictures of first-gen TSX interiors with and without nav, it looks like you could swap in a factory nav unit, but I don't have any experience with doing that (or know anyone who's done this). I'd be curious to see the result!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
By comparing pictures of first-gen TSX interiors with and without nav, it looks like you could swap in a factory nav unit, but I don't have any experience with doing that (or know anyone who's done this). I'd be curious to see the result!
It's a very involved process.

A few people did it and there was an eBay Seller several years ago making a harness to simplify the wiring. If you search here and A*curazine, you should find the threads.

·
Registered
239 Posts
It's a very involved process.

A few people did it and there was an eBay Seller several years ago making a harness to simplify the wiring. If you search here and A*curazine, you should find the threads.
Thanks for the follow up!

I did look into this and concluded the cost and hassle of doing so outweighed simply continuing to use my existing iPod adapter to the stock non-NAV head unit (with a 30-in to Lightning cable adapter) for a music connection, and a magnetic dash mount to use my phone as a GPS when I need to do so.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I bought my '06 TSX new and it's been one of my favorite cars I've ever owned. At over 160k miles, it's still running great. I've been looking for ways to extend the life of the car by making upgrades here and there and bring some new tech into this old car.

I really wanted CarPlay since it came out a few years ago. But installing an aftermarket CarPlay head unit isn't practical for TSX models with navigation since the entertainment stack is integrated into the dash.

About a month ago, I came across and had an installer put in a headless CarPlay unit from Naviks that uses the car's 8-inch factory navigation screen as a CarPlay display. It turns out the nav system in the TSX has a second video input, and, with some extra hardware, I'm able to switch the nav screen display between the factory nav user interface (map, A/C controls, audio, display brightness, etc.) and the second video input feed. The extra hardware comes with a switch, but it's a push button that's a little clunky, so I had an installer replace this push button with a Honda fog light switch that fits neatly into one of the blank switch panels to the right of the "VSA Off" switch, and gives it more of a stock look. Pushing the "fog light" switch toggles the nav screen display between the factory nav UI and second video input (CarPlay):

Since the touch events on the screen are recognized only by the car's factory nav UI, I can only control the CarPlay UI with the CarPlay unit's remote, which I mounted on the steering wheel. This isn't ideal since I'd prefer to control CarPlay by touching the screen, but the remote works well enough to get around the CarPlay UI. I can bring up Siri by holding down the center button on the remote and then speak into the CarPlay unit's mic that I mounted by the gauge cluster just behind the steering wheel. Pressing the arrow buttons moves the CarPlay UI's focus state. For the center button, clicking it once translates to a tap on the currently-selected focus state, double-clicking it brings CarPlay to the previous menu, and holding it down invokes Siri.

The video resolution on the factory nav screen isn't the best by any means (it's an analog, non-HD display, after all) and the color reproduction is pretty mediocre compared to smartphone screens, but the nav screen is good enough to read the displayed content:

To more easily change audio tracks and pause the audio while driving, I use a Bluetooth remote with tactile buttons that I mounted by the steering wheel. Once paired, this remote automatically connects to my iPhone whenever I get into the car, which is nice.

Using the larger nav screen to display apps like Google Maps, Waze and Apple Maps is nice, and, of course, so much more useful than using the stock DVD-based navigation maps:

I unpaired my iPhone from my car's HandsFreeLink Bluetooth profile to use the Phone app in CarPlay, which allows me to see the caller's name and call duration.

Overall, CarPlay on this unit from Naviks (which appears to be a re-branded version of a product called Carlinke/Carlinkit made by a Chinese company called Huizhou Vlink Technology) works fairly well in day-to-day use. But, annoyingly, it does crash and restart occasionally, and so far I can't tell if the crashes are due to the CarPlay unit's firmware or the iOS device. I'm using an iPhone Xs with iOS 12.0.1.

Still, I'm pretty happy that the factory nav screen now has some added usefulness. Despite the low resolution of this screen and the not-quite-ideal way of navigating the CarPlay UI using the D-pad remote, it's a "good enough" upgrade that I've gotten rid of my phone mount. Anyway, just wanted to share this experience for anyone else out there who may be interested.
Really Amazing! I want a carplay and I see mixed reviews on Amazon and other site, any advice for carlinkit 3.0?

·
Registered
7 Posts

i want to do this to 05 tsx, where do start? what model naviks or carlinkit/ setup went into this?? i always search this up but on naviks website i only see one where it allows the hdmi or phone mirroring. also ive seen this
video but its acura Tl and it appears to be a different setup then a Tsx.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts