Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally I have time to post the “carputer”, rear view camera, and tv tuner install on my tsx

First, i purchased the S-Video Navi TV Tuner from avelectronic… they just released the s-video version…it costs more- but WELL worth the money for the s-video input

i had circuit city do all the wiring for the unit…. But that’s just because I don’t want to mess up the car, besides if they screw something up, I can blame them : - D

I used zip ties to hold the TV tuner just under the navi DVD drive… works well… circ city put it on top of the DVD drive, but I couldn’t easily access the inputs… yes I realized that I blocked access to the actually DVD drive – in terms of removing and inserting a new navi disc – but how often do you need to get in there? Once a year at the most… all of 2 minutes to attach more zip ties if you have to pull these off

The fm modulator wire… it works well for an fm modulator, and is connected directly to the back of the navi

The switch to turn on and off the tuner is underneath the dash – driver’s side – far under the vsa and sunroof buttons. If I had to do this again, I would have the switch mounted in the slot next to the VSA button… makes it easier to get to

The IR detector for the remote is by the passenger door…. Out of plain sight
The remote is like the size of a credit card, slightly thicker – the picture is next to chap stick so you can compare the size

I am also using the gyration mouse and keyboard – the keyboard is about the size of a laptop keyboard, and the mouse can be used in the air without any wires. All transmitted with the RF signal.

The rear view camera, I also got from avelectronic, has the camera built in the frame, which works very well – I like it… it takes a little while to get used to and comfortable with, but it helps – and yes it works at night… although not as great because of the poor lighting… when you go in reverse the camera automatically turns on and displays on the navi screen

The computer is the shuttle XPC barebone I purchased from newegg.com
40gb hard drive, 1ghz athalon, 512 MB RAM, dvd drive, sound card is built in the board, there is also a video card built in the board; but I used my own 128mb video card – with s-video out. Wireless LAN card

I am using the power supply that came with the computer, but I am waiting for one (backordered) from opussolutions.com – it is a dc-dc supply specifically for car use, will automatically turn on and off the computer when the ignition is turned on and off. For now I am using an inverter.

I use the computer to play dvds, surf the web – when I am somewhere where there is a wireless network – now realistically you arnt going to be driving down the street and have access to the web, and you arnt going to sit in your garage using it… but infront of a starbucks or something.

I also use it to play my mp3’s.

The case is mounted to the car with a couple screws and spacers.

That’s about it – let me know if you have any questions.

http://67.18.48.66 for pictures

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Awesome write up, and pic's!
Thank you very much for posting!
Joker - who'd love this set up in his TSX :thumbsup:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no prob... i think its great.. id do it again, but probably get a smaller case...just because i like the idea of having extra trunk space - although the opus solutions power supply - they have a supply designed specifically for this case...so.. hmm... it would be a tough decision

·
Registered
6 Posts
VP911,

That is the ultimate add-ons i have seen so far. Would you mind telling us how much it the whole project cost?

Thanks,

Sam

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
****ing awesome

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the tuner was $595

the rear view camera was $275 (i cant tell you if i think it has been worth it yet.... ill let you know after i have more time to use the camera...... the tuner is WELL worth it)

the computer was $400 incl shipping...but that is only using the standard video card, an upgraded one is $50 more or so

the keyboard and mouse combo was $100... although you can probably find it on ebay for around $50... but if you dont plan on typing in the car, then just get the mouse...

you may think that you will type in the car..but it is VERY unlikely because the screen is too small

the installation at circuit city was $150 for the tuner...which if you know where to get the power from, probably not necessary... pretty easy to do when i think about it...but i just want to be able to hold somebody accountable if anything happens.. :p

the power for the computer was $35 install, and they also mounted the computer...but if you have a power drill and screwes you can do that...

the camera install was $70

So in the end the project is around $1600, but can be cut down $400 if you dont have somebody else install, dont get the keyboard and upgraded video card. I dont know how many people would like to have the rear view cam, but i wanted it... so thats another $275 you can save

Would I do it again? Yes, without a doubt - i like the idea of having my family room in the car so i can take a break on long trips :D

If you do all this... BE CAREFUL while driving... haha im sure you already knew that... if you think cells phones are bad...wait till you get this...

I suggest, for anybody who wants to do this, setup a group buy, it will surely save you money, if not on the product, but at least shipping.

Now keep in mind the prices above - I already had the wireless network adapter, which saved me around $40, i have not yet gotten the opus power supply which will be $200

i built my computer...which saved a lot of money because the few companies that have small computers charge a couple thousand for a decent machine..where mine was only $400.

If you have the money for a laptop, and can find a way to SAFELY mount it... i would do that over the desktop, just because you can pull it out if you need.

Good luck

·
Registered
332 Posts
Nice job. Those Shuttle cubes are nice, since you can use standard components in them instead of expensive laptop versions. Might I suggest you use a front-end like myHTPC and you can dispense with the mouse and keyboard altogether. I runs entirely with a 4-way controller. You may want to try ZoomPlayer as well, since it "plays" better with remotes and keyboard commands than Windows Media Player.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi... i have been considering mediaengine so far...

my problem is, i use napster - to legally buy and listen to music, but you cannot take napster tracks and play it in media player or any other program because of the way they did the licensing....

where can i find the programs you were talking about? something i would still like to check out

also, do you happen to know of any adapters for the board so i can use a PCMCIA card in it? i have seen a few in the past...but nothing recently

thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
vp911 said:
.....If you do all this... BE CAREFUL while driving... haha im sure you already knew that... if you think cells phones are bad...wait till you get this.....
Glad you mentioned that. :D

About the whole thing -- GREAT job, Vik! This is something that so many people have wondered about, and now it's all right here. Great great job.

This isn't something that I would get. I'm basically a one-thing-at-a-time guy, which means that when I'm driving, I mostly just want to drive. And in a broader sense (heh heh I said broad :D ) I do have concerns about how much unsafer the roads might become if everybody who's driving will have not only cell phones and CD's and occasional BJ's :D but also DVD's. But I imagine it'll all sort itself out.

And a lot of people WILL want to get it.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,003 Posts
Outstanding Mod and Install vp911!

I admire your creativity and ingenuity, truly imaginative!

Moved to "Do It Yourself" forum

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
jackspat2 said:
Wow. Great Job there buddy.
Hey Jack!! Welcome to the site :wavey:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
jackspat2 said:
It's good to see some familiar faces (or names) around here. Thanks for the warm welcome!
No prob... I saw your name...and went "hey, I know that guy" :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts