Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
tsxclub said:
Just curious..
Audi TT 1.8T
BMW Z4 2.5
Mazda Miata (MX-5)*
Mercedes-Benz SLK 2.3SC
Nissan 350Z
Porsche Boxster*

I would say that the Mazda and Porsche are stretches. The Mazda is about $8000 less, but doesn't even come close in performance. The Porsche is probably way to expensive to really be considered in the same class.

There are other convertibles available (like the Eclipse Spyder, Mustang, etc.), but I think they are really soft-top versions of coupes instead of being a true roadster.
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

sjlee said:
Audi TT 1.8T
BMW Z4 2.5
Mazda Miata (MX-5)*
Mercedes-Benz SLK 2.3SC
Nissan 350Z
Porsche Boxster*

I would say that the Mazda and Porsche are stretches. The Mazda is about $8000 less, but doesn't even come close in performance. The Porsche is probably way to expensive to really be considered in the same class.

There are other convertibles available (like the Eclipse Spyder, Mustang, etc.), but I think they are really soft-top versions of coupes instead of being a true roadster.
WOW didnt know the Z4 is in the same class I would take the Z4 over the S2k any day..

Mercedes SLK is also not bad but I hate the way the car looks.

Are you sure the Z is in the same class?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,255 Posts
How about the RX-8.....Used to own rx7...Now that was a fun car....

toyota mr2
toyota celica gt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

tsxclub said:
WOW didnt know the Z4 is in the same class I would take the Z4 over the S2k any day..

Mercedes SLK is also not bad but I hate the way the car looks.

Are you sure the Z is in the same class?
Why wouldn't you think the Z4 is in the same class? Both are very close in price as well as power and size.

BMW
MSRP: $33,600
2.5L I6 (184HP/175ft-lbs) - not the 3.0L

Honda
MSRP: $32,800
2.2L I4 (240HP/162ft-lbs)

The only difference would be the fact that BMW is a luxury brand, while Honda is a more common brand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
johnej said:
How about the RX-8.....Used to own rx7...Now that was a fun car....

toyota mr2
toyota celica gt
They don't make the MR2 anymore, and the Celica is a hard-top hatchback, not a roadster (soft-top, among other traits). The RX-8 is a sport coupe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
dabuda said:
if i was in the market at this price range i would also look at:

- RX-8
- G35 coupe
- 330 CI
- STI
- 350Z
Price is only one component. We're talking about a two-seater roadster, not a sport coupe.
 

·
, Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
10,086 Posts
Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

sjlee said:
Audi TT 1.8T
BMW Z4 2.5
Mazda Miata (MX-5)*
Mercedes-Benz SLK 2.3SC
Nissan 350Z
Porsche Boxster*
Great list.

And Dabuda's list does seem to represent other cars that might be looked at by an S2000 person, even if not cars in the same class.
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

sjlee said:
Why wouldn't you think the Z4 is in the same class? Both are very close in price as well as power and size.

BMW
MSRP: $33,600
2.5L I6 (184HP/175ft-lbs) - not the 3.0L

Honda
MSRP: $32,800
2.2L I4 (240HP/162ft-lbs)

The only difference would be the fact that BMW is a luxury brand, while Honda is a more common brand.
What would you take the Z4 or the S2k ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
johnej said:
mr2 spyder
Ah, that's right, forgot about that one. It seems to be more in line with the Miata, than the S2000... in terms of price and performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

tsxclub said:
What would you take the Z4 or the S2k ?
Between the Z4 2.5i and S2000?

Definitely the S2000. It'll eat it alive and run circles around it. Even the 3.0i version of the Z4 is just barely faster than the S2000, but the S2000 will still outhandle it.

Car and Driver did a comparison with most of these cars back in August 2003. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846&page_number=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
954 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

tsxclub said:
WOW! how much do they want for this car now?
If I had to guess, the SLK200 will be in the low $40s, the SLK350 will be close to $50k, and the SLK55 will be over $100k.
 

·
, Administrator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars in same class as Honda S2k?

sjlee said:
Between the Z4 2.5i and S2000?

Definitely the S2000. It'll eat it alive and run circles around it. Even the 3.0i version of the Z4 is just barely faster than the S2000, but the S2000 will still outhandle it.

Car and Driver did a comparison with most of these cars back in August 2003. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=15&article_id=6846&page_number=1
Thanks for the link will read it tonight very interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Top Gear did a comparison between the S2k, Z4 and Boxster. In case you haven't seen it, it's a very funny British automotive show. Sorta like Motorweek, but with a wickedly nasty sense of humour. The comparo basically involved the three hosts choosing their favourite car and dissing the other ones.

What they said:

Z4: It rides like crap because it's an American car (built in SC). Then started making fun of it talking with "American" accents. There's nothing funnier than British guys pretending to be Americans.

Boxster: C'mon, the only reason anybody gets one of these is because they can't afford the 911.

S2000: Too many revs, not enough cylinders, too many gears. It's cheaper than the others because it needs to be.

Definitely worth getting BBC on cable for this show.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top