Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the gov't is trying to give out $ to entice people into trading in older cars for more fuel efficient cars. They want to help the environment & boost auto sales. Currently, the plan does not help those who do not have a car to trade in, nor does it really help us TSX drivers bc we would have to purchase a vehicle that gets 10 mpg more than what we have now ... which limits us to like hybrids.

For now, here is how the House version of "cash for clunkers" would work:

-- For passenger cars: The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New passenger cars with mileage of at least 22 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new car is at least 4 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new car is at least 10 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500. So a person trading in a 2000 Subaru Legacy, for example, that gets 22 mpg, for a Ford Fusion Hybrid, which gets 37 mpg, would get the maximum benefit.

-- For small trucks and SUVs: The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New small trucks or SUVs with mileage of at least 18 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 2 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck or SUV is at least 5 mpg higher than the old vehicle, the voucher will be worth $4,500. Thus, someone with an old Ford Explorer that gets 16 mpg could trade for a Ford F Series pickup that gets 18 mpg and get $3,500.

-- Large light-duty trucks: The old vehicle must get less than 18 mpg. New large trucks (pickups and vans weighing 6,000 to 8,500 lbs.) with mileage of at least 15 mpg are eligible for vouchers. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 1 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $3,500. If the mileage of the new truck is at least 2 mpg higher than the old truck, the voucher will be worth $4,500.

-- Work trucks: Consumers can trade in a pre-2002 work truck (defined as a pickup truck or cargo van weighing 8,500 to 10,000 lbs.) and receive a voucher worth $3,500 for a new work truck in the same or smaller weight class. There will be a finite number of these vouchers based on the market share of this vehicle class. There are no Environmental Protection Agency mileage measures for these trucks. However, because newer models are cleaner than older models, the age requirement ensures that the trade will improve environmental quality. Consumers can also "trade down," receiving a $3,500 voucher for trading in an older work truck and purchasing a pickup or van weighing between 6,000 to 8,500 lbs.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
in my experience these advertised mpg numbers are pretty far from accurate, did the govt not catch onto this or is it all just a cash grab...i'd opt for option 2

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
This program only is a temporary patch to the slump in car sales. What will they do next year or thereafter after people who use this voucher to by a new car? How about people leasing cars? If this gets popular like it did in Germany then we'll be seeing a lot of cars get scrapped, which in turn isn't environmentally friendly and emits greenhouse gases.

I oppose this program because its a waste!:thumbsdow

·
Registered
6 Posts
how do they plan on measuring the mpg of the older car?? how are they going to account for the way the older car has become less efficient??

my car wont even pass emissions anymore... id be happy to trade up to something like a 2004 tsx, and i deffinitely wouldnt refer to it as a clunker!! it would be the nicest car ive ever owned LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts