Acura TSX Forum banner

61 - 79 of 116 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Thanks. My dad loves the car primarily for the gas mileage. It is a little cramped compared to what he is used too since his last car was a Tahoe and current other is a Suburban. However, the almost 3x better gas mileage he loves.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I can't drive my car completely to work because I have to go over a single lane speed bump going through a security gate. To date I have only taken it 4 times including yesterday and today. The first two times I said it would be the last cause it scrapes something underneath so bad it feels like you are going to get stuck. However, the first two times I couldn't pin point exactly what it was scraping on.

I finally think I have figured it out though. It is 3 different things.

One, it is scraping on the head of 4 bolts that almost appear as they are serving no purpose on the car but I find that a little hard to believe.

The 4 bolts I am referring too are the two on each side that would bolt up the back end up the Cusco 4 point brace. Really would like to figure out if they are needed and if they are maybe I can find some that are flat with an recessed allen key instead.

Two, it is also apparently so low and the speed bump so large that it is scraping a 2-2.5ft long section of the underside main uni-body rails. These rails actually sit lower than the main section of the exhaust and the side skirts if you can believe that.

You can see the bolts again in this picture but also the 2-2.5ft behind those bolts is where I am scraping as well.

Three, the one rear exhaust hanger is weirdly welded onto the bottom of the exhaust instead of from the top and the one point of it appears to also be scraping. I plan to look into finding some shorter exhaust hangers to alleviate that problem but most of the exhaust hangs extremely tucked up in the exhaust tunnel. I believe this is partly due to the fact I am running a k20 header which is shorter. With all these clearance issues I still don't scrape the bumper, side skirts, or diffuser at all.

I probably will need to get some paint on truck bed liner in grey to paint the under side where I scrape so it doesn't create rust problems. I either need to get a titanium skid plate made or raise the car up I guess as two short term solutions. Long term the ideal solution would be a full corner cup kit setup however that might not be the best idea since I would like to start tracking the car beginning next spring.

Finally, I need to find some quality exhaust springs cause when I was looking under the car yesterday I noticed one of the ones from Home Depot I had gotten had already come off. I hope it came off on my property but who knows.

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
Hey colts, what clutch are u running and how is it holding up with the power your car is making?
Is the isf still more fun? :dunno:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
wow, glad you rebuild this beast again. one of the best tsx out there for sure!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Picked up a GoPro Hero3 this weekend. Here is my little basic video I made last night just cause I wanted to test the sound quality. I think I had the camera a little close to the exhaust. It was probably only like 1-1.5ft away and I probably should have put it on the other side of the bumper as it might have recorded a bit much drone from being so close to the mic.

·
Jon Daily Boulevard
5,554 Posts
Picked up a GoPro Hero3 this weekend. Here is my little basic video I made last night just cause I wanted to test the sound quality. I think I had the camera a little close to the exhaust. It was probably only like 1-1.5ft away and I probably should have put it on the other side of the bumper as it might have recorded a bit much drone from being so close to the mic.
Pretty sweet. Is this the "black" GoPro? I been thinking about getting one myself but am still undecided between the base "white" or top "black" model.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Pretty sweet. Is this the "black" GoPro? I been thinking about getting one myself but am still undecided between the base "white" or top "black" model.
This is the black

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #71

·
....its fate....
1,276 Posts
From memory, I think they are 18x9 +35 with 20mm and 25mm spacers in the rear. 215/40/18 tires.
Volk ce28n honda time attack.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
So I have been having starting issues with the TSX for the past 6 months I would say. I had about a week back in June of last year that the car wouldn't start. It finally started just in time for me to take it to Honda Day in Charlotte. So I kept driving it on and off no problem. Well back in November I tried to start it and nothing. Kept trying once a week for about a month. I am in the process of moving right now and obviously needed the car to run to move it so finally gave in this weekend and replaced the starter.

For anyone that is thinking of supercharging their TSX I recommend just replacing the starter at the same time. You can get one for $100-$150 at most and having to take everything back out with the terrible manifold design is a bitch.

I didn't document the entire process but took a couple pictures along the way.

Fuel lines and rain tapped up.

Blower off but this is where it had to stay throughout the process because I didn't not want to drain the aftercooler system to disconnect it.

Cleaned up the gas inside the manifold from all the failed starts. Also tried to get some of the oil buildup out as well.

This bolt here is the reason I say to replace the starter ahead of time. It is so hard to get at. There is also another bolt that is a pain that holds the blower on but it is only an issue if you have an aftercooler setup.

Manifold finally off. At this point I called it a night because my gf and I were headed to a party for the evening. All taped up so nothing gets in anywhere.

The culprit. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts after I got it off before putting the new one on just to have them test it and be sure it was the issue. On their test bench it would barely spin at all.

Replacement installed

Tearing this apart to fix was also my first actually look at my aftercooler because the shop that did my MT conversion installed the aftercooler/high boost setup for me as well.

After she started I got her moved over to the garage at the new house.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Yup, changing a starter with a supercharger is a lot more work than normal, haha. When I changed my starter I decided to change the alternator as well, just to avoid ever removing the sc core again.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Yup, changing a starter with a supercharger is a lot more work than normal, haha. When I changed my starter I decided to change the alternator as well, just to avoid ever removing the sc core again.
That would have been a good idea actually. Never thought about it. However, I want to get a new alternator and new power steering pump and have them polished. On my future mods list.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
That would have been a good idea actually. Never thought about it. However, I want to get a new alternator and new power steering pump and have them polished. On my future mods list.
I somewhat believe it's possible to remove the alternator without removing the SC. But it probably will require a lot of patience and the right tools to get into the really tight spaces. Try it out and see first, I don't think it will hurt to try. But I just couldn't do it without losing patience so I waited until my starter arrived and replaced both at the same time.

61 - 79 of 116 Posts