Acura TSX Forum banner

81 - 101 of 116 Posts

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
From memory, I think they are 18x9 +35 with 20mm and 25mm spacers in the rear. 215/40/18 tires.
Volk ce28n honda time attack.
Good memory. Those are the correct specs. I think spacers might have been 15mm and 20mm.

Been a long time since I have been on here to post. Check back and read on some posts here and there. Still have even more plans for her but life keeps getting in the way. I am making the first change to her in a long time right now. After showing for so many years and the car being more show than anything else I took the car to the dragon back in November 2016. I had an absolute blast with it. I had planned to do some upgrades after that but not long after I had some serious issues with my V Wagon which ate all my car mod money until pretty much now.

I want to build the car more now for the mountains and maybe even eventually take it to the track. So out with the skinny stretched 215/40-18 tires on the 18x9 and in with some meaty 255/35-18 tires.

255/35-18 Nitto Invo. Really wanted to do some Yokohama AD08R but was trying to stay within a budget for the time being to see home much I enjoy the car in this configuration. If I love it I will switch out for those at it is pretty much never driven in the rain and only on weekends so having a soft track focused tire won't be the end of the world.

Old vs New

Some nice straight sidewalls

Old setup on the car still in the background as I only had two of the tires mounted for now as I wasn't sure they would fit and really didn't want to do any fender work.

Raised the car up 1/2in to get them to fit and even be able to turn the wheel.

Thinking I will probably raise it another 3/4in so I have space for suspension travel with the beefier tires. Hopefully this will be enough.

For the rears I have to finally install my extended studs I bought years ago to replace the factory studs I cut so I could use bolt on spacers. I will also be removing most of the negative camber I had been running to fit wide wheels with stretched tires so I can run the rears mostly flat now instead.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
​​​​​​​
From memory, I think they are 18x9 +35 with 20mm and 25mm spacers in the rear. 215/40/18 tires.
Good memory. *Those are the correct specs. *I think spacers might have been 15mm and 20mm. *

Been a long time since I have been on here to post. *Check back and read on some posts here and there. *Still have even more plans for her but life keeps getting in the way. *I am making the first change to her in a long time right now. *After showing for so many years and the car being more show than anything else I took the car to the dragon back in November 2016. *I had an absolute blast with it. *I had planned to do some upgrades after that but not long after I had some serious issues with my V Wagon which ate all my car mod money until pretty much now. *

I want to build the car more now for the mountains and maybe even eventually take it to the track. *So out with the skinny stretched 215/40-18 tires on the 18x9 and in with some *meaty 255/35-18 tires. *

255/35-18 Nitto Invo. *Really wanted to do some Yokohama AD08R but was trying to stay within a budget for the time being to see home much I enjoy the car in this configuration. *If I love it I will switch out for those at it is pretty much never driven in the rain and only on weekends so having a soft track focused tire won't be the end of the world.

Old vs New

Old setup on the car still in the background as I only had two of the tires mounted for now as I wasn't sure they would fit and really didn't want to do any fender work.

Raised the car up 1/2in to get them to fit and even be able to turn the wheel. *

Thinking I will probably raise it another 3/4in so I have space for suspension travel with the beefier tires. *Hopefully this will be enough.

For the rears I have to finally install my extended studs I bought years ago to replace the factory studs I cut so I could use bolt on spacers. *I will also be removing most of the negative camber I had been running to fit wide wheels with stretched tires so I can run the rears mostly flat now instead. *

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
​​​​​​​
Good memory. *Those are the correct specs. *I think spacers might have been 15mm and 20mm. *

Been a long time since I have been on here to post. *Check back and read on some posts here and there. *Still have even more plans for her but life keeps getting in the way. *I am making the first change to her in a long time right now. *After showing for so many years and the car being more show than anything else I took the car to the dragon back in November 2016. *I had an absolute blast with it. *I had planned to do some upgrades after that but not long after I had some serious issues with my V Wagon which ate all my car mod money until pretty much now. *

I want to build the car more now for the mountains and maybe even eventually take it to the track. *So out with the skinny stretched 215/40-18 tires on the 18x9 and in with some *meaty 255/35-18 tires. *

255/35-18 Nitto Invo. *Really wanted to do some Yokohama AD08R but was trying to stay within a budget for the time being to see home much I enjoy the car in this configuration. *If I love it I will switch out for those at it is pretty much never driven in the rain and only on weekends so having a soft track focused tire won't be the end of the world.

Old vs New

Raised the car up 1/2in to get them to fit and even be able to turn the wheel. *

Thinking I will probably raise it another 3/4in so I have space for suspension travel with the beefier tires. *Hopefully this will be enough.

For the rears I have to finally install my extended studs I bought years ago to replace the factory studs I cut so I could use bolt on spacers. *I will also be removing most of the negative camber I had been running to fit wide wheels with stretched tires so I can run the rears mostly flat now instead. *

·
Registered
730 Posts
That looks great! Those are 18x9 +35 without the spacers this time around? 255/35 is definitely the route I'm going for tires too. Never liked super thin sidewalls, no fun to drive.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
That looks great! Those are 18x9 +35 without the spacers this time around? 255/35 is definitely the route I'm going for tires too. Never liked super thin sidewalls, no fun to drive.
Yeah they were always 18x9 +35 without the spacers. When I was running stretched tires I ran 15mm front and 20mm rear to make them +20 and +15 effectively.

Once I raise the car up a little I might actually be able to run a 5mm spacer up front and probably a 10mm in the rear.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've been trying to figure out which wheel I want to go with. Want to be either at a 18x9 or 18x9.5 but since I have RL calipers I need something with a low enough offset/spoke design to fit, but also need something with a high enough offset to still fit 255s. The struggle.

Your setup looks so great!

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
When I had done some reading on here before ordering the tires and saw that someone was running 255/35-18 on a 18x9 +40. At the time my wheels were on the car and for some reason I remebered their specs as being the same as those so I ordered the tires. When I took them off to have the tires mounted I realized they were actually +35 offset and was worried they were going to rub but actually they fit perfect.

I would imagine a +35 offset would clear the RL calipers would it not?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I would imagine a +35 offset would clear the RL calipers would it not?
It really just depends on the spoke design. For many wheels, it's not quite enough. There's no absolute formula for knowing what will clear unfortunately. I know rough ranges but again I want to run as high an offset as possible to tuck in some width of those 255's.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So it only took 3 months but I finally got around to changing out my rear cut studs for the ARP extended ones I bought years ago. I had kept putting this off for fear it was going to be a pain in the ass. Ended up not being difficult at all.

New ARP studs. Opened and put in the freezer as it is supposed to make pulling them in easier.

The soon to be trash cut studs. Cut them years ago to take the easy route and use bolt on spacers. If I knew it would have been this easy I would have just went this route first.

Remove the two bolts holding the sliding caliper on.

Then remove the two bolts holding the caliper bracket on.

Once that is off you can remove the caliper

I could really use some new hubs it seems. This is what you get for starting out with your car up north.

Remove the three screws holding on the dust shield

My makeshift press. I read this on another forum about using a balljoint press to press out wheel studs. It works really well. I started using a ratchet to do it but later switched to using my cordless impact which made it go really fast.

The old junk all removed

Had to take a break to run to the store for some large nuts and washers for the next part. So grabbed a shot of the car up on the stands.

Large washed, two large nuts that are bigger than the stud, another washer, and then a nut the same thread pitch as the lugs. I torqued it all on slowly while watching from the back to see when it was fully pulled in. Started again using a ratchet but quickly switched to my cordless impact.

All pressed in

Everything back together

Moved onto testing out the suspension and jacking the wheel up to see how it would sit. Ended up raising the back of the car 5/8 of an inch to clear the larger tires.

All finished.

255 meat all around now. Widest tires I have ever run on the car before was 225. So these are a significant increase for me.

I think I have some more space I can play with in the rear. I think I can pull some camber out and allow the wheel to be 2-3mm closer to the rear fender. Maybe even 5mm possibly. Will test some 5mm spacers as some point to see what I can do.

Have some additional new parts coming for the car for the first time in a long time. Hopefully I will receive them and get them installed before my fall trip to the Dragon.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
That looks PERFECT!!! I agree I think you could take a wee bit of camber out the back to flush em up just a hair. Great update!
Thank you. Yeah there is too much camber in the rear in my opinion compared to the front. If I had to guess I would say I am somewhere between -1.75-2.5 in the front and somewhere between -2.75-3.5 in the rear. It has been so long since I have had it aligned last that I don't even remember.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Dang.... you're still at it. Nice!!!
Yeah I am still around here from time to time checking in. Make small changes to the car setup once and a while. Have a whole bunch of plans for one final rebuild but home owner life and the Cadillac disaster last year really put a hold on all that. I won't ever leave here fully. The car will stay forever with the time an effort I have put into it.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
So I am sure making this post everyone is going to miss this information. I have some new parts for the TSX but I have not gotten around to installing them. Hopefully, I will get around to it by years end.

In the meantime, I did add a new member to the garage.

To own an NSX has been a dream of mine for a long time. I had posters of one on my wall growing up. A friend of mine has owned this car for the last 8 years. I have told him for a good while if he was going to get rid of it to please let me know. He decided it was time to move on from it a couple months ago and so I decided to see if I could make it happen. This Friday I took delivery of it. From far the car looks absolutely perfect. There are some things that need some TLC and the car doesn't have a perfect history but that is what allowed me to be able to pick it up. That being said it drives amazingly, runs strong, and has perfect alignment. I wasn't looking for a collectors car as I am going to drive it as much as possible. I have already put 250 miles on it in the first weekend.

​​​​​​​

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
So finally got around to install my J's Racing wing that I have had laying around since about July.* I was waiting for my dad to bring down my extra trunk lid from my storage unit up in PA so didn't have that till about Oct/Nov and then the holidays and all.* I wanted to use the spare trunk so I had a way to revert in case I decided*against this long term.* My trunk on the current car had been installed after the egging of my car years back.* This won't be the finished look because I still need to vinyl wrap the trunk since it is in bad shape with eggshell scratches and just the generally faded paint over the years.* The paint on the car was never a full respray but everything was resprayed during about a two-year period and blended on the doors between the egging and the deer accident.**

The dog bed was put in the garage so I had a safe soft spot to lay the trunks and wing during the install

Trunk lid liner removed.*

Lights came out next

While removing the lights I found on of the pins had cracked off as it was still stuck in the sheet metal once I removed the light.* Nothing a little glue can't fix I hope.**
​​​​​​​

Trunk latch removed

License plates light trim and lights were removed next.* Figured out the body shop had put these back together wrong.* They had the lights under the trim for some reason.* Noticed over the years the clear plastic has yellowed a bit so I will be purchasing new lenses for these lights.* Might use it as a chance to upgrade to LED too.

Trim, lights, and trunk button removed

Onto the wires

Old trunk installed

Taped up the trunk even though scratches really wouldn't be a big deal I didn't want to accidentally gouge anything and ruin the mostly smooth surface I had for wrapping.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

This wing is used and the hardware is a little rough.* Looking into getting custom titanium mounting brackets made.* If can't get those done for the right price then I will have the existing ones powder coated.

Tried the wing both forward a bit and then all the way back.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Chose to do all the way back.* First alignment.* Measure once, then twice, then thee more times.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Final location verified.* Getting ready to drill.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Drilled pilot marks with the brackets still tapped on.* Then removed brackets to finish the holes.

First set of holes finished.* The two holes furthest toward the trunk bend would need to have the sheet metal enlarged to fit a socket through to bolt the spoiler on.

Other side
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

First bracket bolted on.* In the second shot you can see the enlarged hole.* That was probably one of the most nerve racking parts having to drill the first layer but not the second.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Wing installed.* Trunk won't go fully back together till I have time to vinyl wrap it.* It was too cold yesterday for the vinyl to adhere properly.* It would have also been a huge undertaking to get both done in the same day so glad I decided to make them two separate projects.* It will also allow me to order the extra parts I need.

Consequences of a open garage to work on.* A surprise shower on a completely clean NSX.

Want to get some better hardware too that is exact right length bolts so you don't see the extra threads.* Might also use some penta security nuts as those will give a nicer finished look and also make it impossible to steal the wing off the car.

81 - 101 of 116 Posts