Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my car a couple of days ago when the Check Engine light started blinking . My car lost power but didn't stalled. I was near my house so I drove for a few miles instead of calling a tow truck . The next Day , I found it it was a misfire on cylinder 2 and needed the ignition coil replace (CODE P0302 ). I got replaced the ignition coil at my local shop and drove to work. Ten Miles Later , The CEL came back on. The car seems to be driving normally . I took it today to Autozone and They Got a new CODe : P0420 : Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold B1. Does this mean I need a new CAT ? or does anyone know any alternative fixes ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
CAT might have gotten hot due to the excess unburned fuel and maybe damaged.

Or maybe just gunked up. I would try blowing it out a bit... find a nice long freeway hill and go wide open throttle at a pretty high RPM for as long as you can. Otherwise might need a new CAT (if your state requires a smog check). I'd get one out of a junkyard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
CATALYST sensors will light up a cel if the cat is operating below 95% efficiency threshold. it could be your 02 sensor which you can clean( remove,spray it with wd-40 if is stuck or pb blaster, then soak in gasoline for about 8 hours or more), or a leaky injector pushing too much unburned fuel possibly damaging the CAT. The Italian tune up can help clear it up, but i would do an analysis of your oil test first from a lab and see their results. If the oil smells like gas it's possible you have a leaky injector, that could be one cause, if not, try a water/meth injection with a battery powered spray pump on fine mist right on the intake manifold brake booster line while the engine is fully warmed up. Use only blue colored winter formula windshield fluid with 2 bottles of HEET(gas line antifreeze/dryer mixed into the winter formula). Then rev it up to 3k or so, hitting it with a mist of the blue mixture intermittently so you do not run the risk of hydrolocking, go through 1/3rd of the bottle (gallon size). use a piece of small lumber and your power seat adjustment on the gas pedal to get it to hold at 3k rpm, or have a buddy keep the revs up. if you are still throwing the p0420, it might be time for a new cat. If not, next get out and rev it up on the road buddy, for 30 minutes and do full highway runs to get her back to operating temperature. Do not forget to change your oil after water/meth treatment, it steam cleaned the combustion chambers, but it will leak down past piston rings into the oil sump, check your oil after that and change it. Good luck brother

·
Registered
17 Posts
In general it is a PITA code to diagnose. Worst case ( and usually) means you need a new catalytic converter, but it could be any combination of an O2 sensor, MAF that needs cleaning, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine. The code went away on its own for a year then finally stayed on all the time. It needed a new cat and new o2 sensors. But had to have OEM sensors. The aftermarket ones made all kinds of stalling and goofy idle problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
E_Class
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing