Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i have this problem for a while now, and today i just went to autozone to get this code checked out. I bought a yellow bottle of "Something", and put it in my gas tank to clean up any dirty stuff in my engine. I ALWAYS use 92 Premium gas. The CEL comes on and off, it has been off for a long time for about 3 months and yesterday just came back on.

there was 4 things that could be faulty..

1: A/F Ratio Concern
2: Air leak near H02S (Heated Oxygen Sensor) Bank 1
3: Ignition System Concern
4: Faulty Catalytic Converter

Not sure what to do, i did some research and most of the people fixed their issue by adding a Defouler for their "Aftermarket Header/Cat.

I have a stock header/Exhaust, and the only engine mod i have is SRI and Pulley. I know my Intake is not the issue because back then I had my stock airbox and the CEL still came on.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me? Im thinking that its about time i replace my Spark Plugs if that helps... what else should i clean/check? thanks!

PS
I noticed that my car smells like fart at the rear after i floor the gas pedal. the smell is not noticeable unless you go smell right at the ass of the car.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Is the light always on or does it come on and off?

Start with the easy/cheap fixes and go from there. Wish I could give more insight on your issue. Good luck.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
updated 1st post, yes the CEL comes and goes. it has been gone for a long time but it just came back yesterday.

I do have one question you may be able to help me with, when it comes on does it affect the vehicle performance? like the ECU adjusting the car to run rich/lean etc?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Marketplace
5,412 Posts
Sounds to me like its either #2 or #4, seeing how there is exhaust fumes involved. I check this out right away as there are carbon monoxide in the exhaust fumes, which can be fatal if inhaled for a period of time.

Since the CEL comes on and off, it sounds to me like its the cat. If there was an air leak (#4) i'd imagine that the CEL would be on all the time.

·
Slow but turns
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for that, i also noticed that during the cold weather, i can see a lot of my smokes coming out of the rear end of my exhaust when i accelerate from a stoplight. when i see other cars theirs dont come out as much, im not sure if thats the case for me having an intake but definitely something ill checkout on.

i only have 1k miles left of warranty on my car so ill bring it to the dealership and have them take a look at it

·
Registered
663 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread...did you ever got this problem fixed? And what did you do?

I have the same code...my cel came on about 2-3 weeks ago then it turned off three days later...two days ago it came back on then off last night...what could it be?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sorry for bumping an old thread...did you ever got this problem fixed? And what did you do?

I have the same code...my cel came on about 2-3 weeks ago then it turned off three days later...two days ago it came back on then off last night...what could it be?
Looking for codes a few weeks ago came across a list of Generic OBD II codes.
It lists this one as: P0420 - Catalyst System Low Efficiency

1 - 10 of 10 Posts