Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm considering SSM, NBP and CG after pondering over my TSX decision a while. At first, I was leaning towards NBP or PWP w/parchment but my TSX will be primarily a business car. I'll be putting 2500+miles on it a month, flinging briefcases and laptop cases all over the place all the time so I thought the parchment wouldn't survive as well as the ebony. I do feel the parchment/wood looks great, more luxurious, I just wish the wood was a little of a darker shade. So now, I'm thinking I should go with an ebony interior and SSM, NBP and CG are the choices that appeal to me(no blue, uggh). I don't like the aluminum strip that much but have seen pictures where it was replaced with a darker wood strip. That looks very good with the ebony interior BTW. Maybe I can change my aluminum strip out for a dark wood one for a few hundred $$'s. I can almost eliminate NBP for the same reasons as above since I'll be beating the heck out of the car with it rarely being in garages and having to use commercial washes mostly. Also, I live in Florida and I'm worried about fading/heat. So that leaves SSM and CG. My wife already has a silver Odyssey and I thought I'd try to get something different. The silver is very easy to take care of(I owned a silver Integra earlier as well) though. In the brochure pictures, the CG looks like a great color but I haven't seen it in person. I don't care for dolphin/blueish type grays and prefer an actual deep, darker, pearl grey(like the TL which I have seen). What's your take on CG over SSM? Is the CG more dolphin/blueish? Have you enjoyed your CG choice?

Thanks for any input,

Scott

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
I have CG/Ebony, and yes indeed I'd take it again.

It wasn't my first choice, at all, but I was desperate to get the car, and there were only two colors that I could get fast: CG or black. So I took the CG. If all the colors had been readily available, I probably would have gone for the Arctic Blue, or really rather the Meteor Silver which is kind of blue but I don't think it's available in the U.S. -- and I probably would have been happy with either of those too. But it took me only about 2 minutes to love the CG.

It's an elegant color, and very interesting too, in part because it looks so different at different times, depending on the lighting, maybe even depending on the person's mood? Someone should do a study. :D

And all the different appearances are great.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
I'd never take anything else.

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
CG all the way.

I don't know how CG compares to Anthracite on TLs but
I would describe it as dark gray rather than light gray. With the word "Carbon" in CG, I would assume it's dark enough for you as well.

You are right on the mark about SSM and how easy it is to take care of. With SSM, I wouldn't have to wash it as often, but then again as sick as it sounds, I really do enjoy washing/waxing my car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies everyone,

Larch, yes the meteor silver is available in the US and I have seen it a few times (2 at a Sarasota dealer right now). It has a light/baby blue color to it. IMO, I don't care for it all all but I'm not fond of just about any shade of blue cars. I've seen the SSM and it wasn't perfectly clean(looked slightly dull) but I like that color for the most part. My wife's Odyssey in silver looks great when clean. It's a bright/whiteish silver. I don't mind washing my car but in my later years and with my job/family duties, I don't have much time to baby a car like I did when I was younger. I've read some threads that the CG can look blueish/dolphin blueish at times and that is something I wouldn't care for. Also, I guess availabilty is a big factor and a dealer close to me (within 100 miles) has 2 SSM's w/ebony available. I can't find a CG anywhere in FL or even one coming in the near future. I've got $27K cash burning a hole in my pocket and I'm hoping if I wave that cash in the dealers face for everything including tax, tag, etc., he'll toss me the keys to one of the SSM's. I know that's cutting it close on price but it will be a clean, cash deal with no hassle or test drive needed (I've driven them before). Still I'd like to see a CG in person just to make sure it's not more appealing to me than the SSM.

Thanks again for all of the input,

Scott

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
Regarding your aluminum to wood trim swap, I'm not sure how you are planning to go about it but there might be more to it than just buying Acura wood trim kit.

The Acura trim kit comes with only 9 parts:
http://www.hondacuraworld.com/Merch...Product_Code=08Z03-SEC-210&Category_Code=ATSX

Where as this other Non-Acura site has whopping 27 parts:
http://www.wooddash.com/category/ACURA_Dash_Kits_TSX

I just happen to run into that site and they seem to have a good variety of wood trims. I've never used them so this is not an endorsement of any sort:
http://www.wooddash.com/category/ACURA_Dash_Kits

Oh and I couldn't help but to add these pictures to sway your decision on getting a CG:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Most of the time when you see any blue in the CG it's the sky reflecting.

Not the best pics but they show what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks again for the input.

Whatchamacallit, I like that top pic(the one from the brochure) but is it an actual pic or some PS/Illus./doctored up type pic? The color looks real good there. On the dash kit, here's a link to what I am talking about:
http://www.***********/bbs/showthread.php?t=3747

I think the dark wood looks great, especially with the ebony. I'm only considering replacing the aluminum strip along the dash and on both doors, although the wood looks great around the shifter as well(I'm going auto/no nav BTW). Maybe someone with parchment/light wood may want to buy my aluminum stripping after I swap it out with the darker rosewood/burl strip. Looks like those woods are options in Japan so I don't know where to get the parts in the US or how hard it will be to swap out. If I go CG or SSM w/ebony, I definitely want that darker wood. IMO, it looks great.

Thanks again for the input,

Scott

Edit:
One other question. Is the Satin Silver on the TSX the same as the Satin Silver on the US Accord and/or the TL?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
tony4311 said:
Most of the time when you see any blue in the CG it's the sky reflecting.....
Probably indeed most of the time, Tony -- but I can vouch, not always.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled into an underground garage, and the guy is writing down my car info, and he asks me, "Blue?" :dunno:

I also sometimes get "Green?" and "Black?"

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
AsahiToro said:
.....Still I'd like to see a CG in person just to make sure it's not more appealing to me than the SSM.....
Absolutely, Scott -- you gotta see it, even if you don't get it. This color begs to be seen.
And I'm not someone who usually much cares about car colors.

About the Satin Silver: Dunno, but for what it's worth I had the '03 TL-S in silver, and the TSX satin silver is a little different and IMO much nicer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Larch,

I'll keep a lookout for a CG TSX. I know I like the SSM but if I see a CG later and like it better, it would bug me some that I didn't go CG. I need to buy this car fast(within a week or two) so that may force me into a SSM since I can find a couple of those at dealers I can get to. The SSM/ebony with the darker wood added later should make me very happy and be a great ride. Also, maybe a little speaker upgrade action, some window tint and some XM radio that I'll add later will give me everything I need. Factory bluetooth like the TL would be great as well but I have a Jabra bluetooth earpiece that can get me by.

Thanks again for all of the input,

Scott

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
AsahiToro said:
I like that top pic(the one from the brochure) but is it an actual pic or some PS/Illus./doctored up type pic? The color looks real good there. On the dash kit, here's a link to what I am talking about:
http://www.***********/bbs/showthread.php?t=3747
Oh I'm sure it's computer enhanced. But I agree, that is one nice piece of artwork. It's almost like they mixed in some stainless steel or nickel into the body color.

The dark wood dash kit might be hard to get. TSX only offers light wood kit and the dark wood kit from Japan/Euro Accord might have some issues since they drive on the wrong side. Or the other option is going with Non-Acura wood kits.

Hey, maybe you could try to get those parts from Japan and drive the first successful transplant-receipient TSX in the country. Just kidding. Keep us informed which color you are getting.

·
Oops. I, uh, did it again
39 Posts
I'm coming into this a l bit late but here's another aspect of the CG: sophistication. It's way more refined than silver or the girly baby blue, and a little less heavy than black.

The color is so sharp and sleek. (Can you tell I love it?) It should be perfect for your business application.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK,

I found out that a CG/ebony no nav auto is coming in any day now at my local dealer. He has a SSM/ebony coming in a couple of weeks later. I still haven't seen the CG in person but I think I'm convinced it's what I want. The dealer is going to charge me a $400 admin fee and won't describe what it is exactly. What the hell is that? LOL. Problem is that all but one of the Acura dealers I have been going in have some kind of admin fee. Oh well, admin fee or not, I'm offering the guy $27500 out the door for the car cash and I want a cargo net and trunk tray thrown in. He can break up whatever profit/admin fee he wants his way and I don't care. If he won't go for that, then the hell with it and I'm going down the road and buying a silver Accord EX V6 (w/trunk tray/cargo net/rear lip spoiler) for $26K out the door(got that offer in writing waiting). I like the TSX more and I'm willing to spend more for it but the thing isn't my dream car. This is just an everyday business car that I'll beat the hell out of mostly and put a ton of miles on it. IMO, the TSX is the most car for the money and it's worth some more. I'm close enough though that the 05's are probably going to be coming out that I'm uneasy spending much more than a grand over invoice for the TSX. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I can get that deal. I don't mean to sound bitter but buying a frigging car is a pain in the arse and I'm worn out looking for the car that I want for the price I want. Thanks for everyone's input.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
Take the accord offer in with you. Put it on his desk and tell him what you want with the tsx and if he can't meet it your getting the accord. Time him and see how long it takes him to say ok :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Tony,

Funny thing is that the Acura dealer is right across the road from the Honda dealer and the guys know each other(not the same dealer ownership though). I leased an 04 Honda Odyssey from the Honda guy last month and he treated me well. He knows I'm dead serious about getting this car and that I have the dough. The Acura guy is actually a Sales Manager so you would think he would recognize the easy deal and grab it. I realize he could sell it for more probably but I'm an easy done deal, cash and I don't need a test drive, free coffee, etc., anything. Just give me the dang keys and I throw him $27500 cash. He makes a profit, I get a car. I really want the TSX but I'm not spending over $1500 more for it than the Accord. Other people's mileage may vary but for my use for this car, $1500 extra over the Accord is my limit. The Accord is a damn nice car for that price.

Thanks again for your input,

Scott

·
Just a little nutty
664 Posts
AsahiToro said:
The dealer is going to charge me a $400 admin fee and won't describe what it is exactly.
I love how dealers invent new names to fees that fatten their wallet.

It wasn't clear from your post but I'm guessing you put down a deposit for the car coming in. (It gives you first dibs to negotiate when it arrives).

Not sure what your state tax % is but your out-the-door offer of $27500 for a non-nav TSX is very reasonable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Whatchamacallit,

Nope, I didn't put a deposit down yet but the dealer says he will call me ASAP when it comes in. I drive by the dealer everyday and saw on his sheet that it was due there today so it should show up any day now. My state sales tax is 6% so I know I'm cutting it close but it's a good deal for both of us. If I try to get skinnier I may lose out. The SSM is due in a couple of weeks later that I can fall back on but I'm not budging from $27500 OTD on either. The SSM looks great in person. I have seen it and I know it will be easy to take care of so if I end up with that one I won't be upset unless CG just blows me away colorwise. In fact if my wife's van wasn't silver I'd have no problem at all with SSM as my first choice. I'm just trying to change up the garage/driveway look some with a different color. :D

Thanks for you input,

Scott

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,344 Posts
AsahiToro said:
Funny thing is that the Acura dealer is right across the road from the Honda dealer and the guys know each other(not the same dealer ownership though).
Scott
lol thats even better. You can even point to where you're going if they don't meet your deal and then watch you walk across the street. Don't take your car across the street just walk. It'll give them a chance to grab you and cave in. They say walking out the door is the best way to make them give in. Watching you walk across the street to spend the cash is even better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts