Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how do you actually use a chamois properly?

How do you also dry the chamois with it mildewing?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Best bet for a drying towel are the Waffle Weave Microfiber towels. They absorb water better than anything I've used and they are washable.

George

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
I have Microfiber rags, personally I perfer my old School Chamois, I have one thats 20 years old, works like a charm still, little beat up around the edges, but my favorite still

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
i bought a microfiber towel..its blue..damn it i forget the brand..haha and im too lazy to go to the garage..but it works like a charm! chamois in my opinion dont collect as much water as my huge ass towel

·
Registered
954 Posts
narci said:
I was wondering how do you actually use a chamois properly?

How do you also dry the chamois with it mildewing?
I'll actually try to answer your question.... :D

Before using the chamois, rinse it off and wring it out. This will not only make sure that it is damp, but also clean off any debris that might be on it from storage.

There really isn't a "proper" method to using one, but it helps to know that the chamois isn't used for drying your car completely, but rather to make sure that no water spots show up. The idea is to soak up/spread out the water over the surface of the car so that it evaporates "cleaner". I like to wipe in a front-to-back motion on my car. In addition, on large surfaces (like the hood, roof or trunk), I like to spread out the chamois (like a blanket on the bed) and pull it across the surface. When the chamois gets really soaked, wring it out and continue.

Also, if you accidentally drop it, make sure that you rinse it off completely... as you might have picked up a few small grains of sand/dirt which will scratch your car.

After you've used one a few times, you'll start to get the idea of how it works. Good luck.

*EDIT: Oh, forgot to answer your other question... I just hang up the chamois and let it dry. If you can't hang it up, just lay it flat in the sun. The key is to let it air out and dry. If you ball it up or fold it, that's when it will mildew.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks sjlee, thanks for the info.

I've never used a microfiber cloth, whats a good one and where would one buy one?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Oh forgot to mention "The Absorber" is some synthetic Chamois... works pretty good too

·
Registered
46 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
Oh forgot to mention "The Absorber" is some synthetic Chamois... works pretty good too
I swore by real chamois until I purchased an Absorber. I recommend buying at least one!

·
Registered
954 Posts
How much for an Absorber and where can I get one?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just read up on The Absorber. Peole say it's good except there no 'nap' on it. I'm not sure what a 'nap' is but they said that since there's no 'nap' it will use the dirt picked up and scratch the paint.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts