Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have a 04 6MT. The clutch on the car started to slip recently, so I think it's time for a new clutch! I've reading about what clutch to get and there's a few postings about a lighter flywheel. So is it worth it to change out the OEM flywheel for something lighter? Also I'm looking to get a clutch that's a bit more firm on the pedal than stock, any suggestions? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I'd suggest the Exedy Stage 1 clutch, part no 08806. I personally don't prefer lightweight flywheels. They require more finesse when taking off (more liable to stall out) which is a pain for daily drivers. Even if you do decide you want a lighter flywheel, the Exedy light weight flywheel (HF02) is way too light (it's 8.9lbs).

Generally speaking, for most people's driving small displacement engine, a using a stock flywheel is most effective. A light-weight flywheel does allow the engine to rev up faster, but also allows the engine rpm's to drop faster (this is a disadvantage when shifting and when launcing). For that reason light-weight flywheels are mainly used for road racing and/or autocross purposes because it allows the vehicle to accelerate more quickly when exiting corners. For drag racing, a vehicle (especially if it is heavy) is usually slower off the line with the light-weight flywheel because of the lower inertia of the flywheel (a heavier flywheel stores more energy which is useful for launching).

I'd suggest an OEM RSX flywheel if you want a lighter one (it's 16lbs, vs the OEM TSX unit which is 18lbs). It's a good compromise. If you do get the Exedy kit, buy an OEM Honda throw out (release) bearing for $50 as the one that is included in the clutch kit isn't all that great. I am not 100% certain which flywheels are compatible with the Exedy Stage 1 clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Generally speaking, for most people's driving small displacement engine, a using a stock flywheel is most effective. A light-weight flywheel does allow the engine to rev up faster, but also allows the engine rpm's to drop faster (this is a disadvantage when shifting and when launcing). For that reason light-weight flywheels are mainly used for road racing and/or autocross purposes because it allows the vehicle to accelerate more quickly when exiting corners. For drag racing, a vehicle (especially if it is heavy) is usually slower off the line with the light-weight flywheel because of the lower inertia of the flywheel (a heavier flywheel stores more energy which is useful for launching).
That is incorrect, A lighter fly wheel helps with shifting as the RPMs are able to drop faster. It may be "more difficult" to drive for the average drive since you must always shift quickly. But it also puts less wear and tear on the syncros. Your shifts become quicker and you are off the power for a smaller amount of time.

I personally run the exedy stage 1 with their light wheel flywheel and it is my favorite mod on the car. You need to get used to it, and its defiantly a bit of a pain in traffic but it makes the car much more fun to dive.

That being said if you sit in traffic alot and your foot tends to get tired I would recommend the RSX-S wheel.

·
Registered
247 Posts
That is incorrect, A lighter fly wheel helps with shifting as the RPMs are able to drop faster. It may be "more difficult" to drive for the average drive since you must always shift quickly. But it also puts less wear and tear on the syncros. Your shifts become quicker and you are off the power for a smaller amount of time.

I personally run the exedy stage 1 with their light wheel flywheel and it is my favorite mod on the car. You need to get used to it, and its defiantly a bit of a pain in traffic but it makes the car much more fun to dive.

That being said if you sit in traffic alot and your foot tends to get tired I would recommend the RSX-S wheel.
Then we are agreed. My point (which is the same as yours) is that you have to shift more quickly. If you cannot or do not wish to, it could be a disadvantage. I guess I'd rephrase it "it may be a disadvantage"...

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
This is my plan once it comes time to replace the clutch...slowly ordered some of these parts (but may never use them lol):

*Comptech lightweight steel flywheel (10.5lbs)
*Exedy Stage 1 kit
*Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
*New OEM CMC/SMC
*oem dot 3 clutch/brake fluid

Lots of people run the exedy 8.9lb flywheel and love it. I'm sure that will be a great choice as well.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Then we are agreed. My point (which is the same as yours) is that you have to shift more quickly. If you cannot or do not wish to, it could be a disadvantage. I guess I'd rephrase it "it may be a disadvantage"...
Thats not a disadvantage though? Even if you wanted to shift slowly, you just need to blip the gas in between shifts to match the road speed.

If your not used to a lighter flywheel it may make it harder technique wise. But at no point should it be considered a disadvantage during shifts (maybe it can be considered a nuisance to an inexperienced driver), as that is one of the main reasons why a lightweight flywheel is chosen for Auto X or a shorter road course.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, some great info here. I decided to go with Exedy stage 1 with their lightweight flywheel. This should turn out to be a fun one, thanks again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts