Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

Having an issue with my 2006 TSX. The Check Charging System warning came on last Friday. I continued to drive the car resulting in the airbag, VSA, and all sorts of other warnings to come up, the dashboard then turned off as the car was dying. Eventually, the car died completely because the battery was fully drained. I had the car towed to a shop that looked at it on Monday morning and they said once it was recharged it was perfectly fine. They could not reproduce the problem or determine the issue. They checked and cleaned all connections and the battery and alternator both tested good. So I took the car and drove it fine for 2 days until I got the same thing today. Turning the car off and then back on did not solve the problem, I still had the battery and check charging system lights. However, I had the feeling that disconnecting the battery would fix the problem and it did. The problem is intermittent and will kill the entire battery after running the car for about 5 minutes. The problem also only occurs at first start up, not during the middle of a trip. Any ideas on what might be causing this??

Forgot to mention the original alternator died last year and i replaced it with an Autozone one. So the current one is a year old.
Thanks for any help!
-Mark

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,647 Posts
So one of the locals had all of the dash lights come on just as you did. But did not drive the car long enough to kill it. From what everyone has said it is the alternator going out. Another local had the same thing and it stopped for a little while like your but it came back and it was his alternator.

So with that being said I think it is your alternator going out. Sometimes they don't just go out completely. They show signs like what yours is doing, but it will eventually go all the way out. It could have checked good because it was working right at the time they checked it. But it's not anymore and it's killing your battery.

Just my opinion from what I have been told.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Obert,

Thanks for the information, I had my suspicion it was the alternator, but the fact that resetting the battery fixed the problem gave me reservations. Because it is an aftermarket Autozone part, I think I will just swap it anyway.

Thanks,
Mark

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,647 Posts
Obert,

Thanks for the information, I had my suspicion it was the alternator, but the fact that resetting the battery fixed the problem gave me reservations. Because it is an aftermarket Autozone part, I think I will just swap it anyway.

Thanks,
Mark
Maybe disconnecting the battery just reset the lights. But they will probably just come back on. Make sure the battery gets recharged all the way to. And let us know if replacing the alternator takes care of the problem. It sounds like it should :)

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alternator replaced

So I replaced the alternator today ($290 from dealer) and let me just mention that it was not easy with the fans and AC lines in the way. But I have not seen the problem since I changed it out this afternoon. In the end only time will tell if the error comes back on when I start it. I will let everyone know how this came out.

·
, Admin, Marketplace
2,147,483,647 Posts
So I replaced the alternator today ($290 from dealer) and let me just mention that it was not easy with the fans and AC lines in the way. But I have not seen the problem since I changed it out this afternoon. In the end only time will tell if the error comes back on when I start it. I will let everyone know how this came out.
Well at least you know you have a good oem alternator.

Did they check anything before the dealer replaced it ?

·
I love my CL9!
4,068 Posts
Is $290 for a new one or a remanufactured one? Also, did you have any sort of smell before the alternator died?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue

I have the same exact issue with my 2008 TSX. I had my battery and alternator replaced about 5 months ago. Both are reading full power. It only happens to mine on really cold mornings for some reason.(around 25 degrees or lower) Its only been occuring for a little over a week now. My mechanic can't figure it out. He thinks it is a relay either at the fuse box or in the dash. Do you really think its the alternator instead???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact issue with my 2008 TSX. I had my battery and alternator replaced about 5 months ago. Both are reading full power. It only happens to mine on really cold mornings for some reason.(around 25 degrees or lower) Its only been occuring for a little over a week now. My mechanic can't figure it out. He thinks it is a relay either at the fuse box or in the dash. Do you really think its the alternator instead???
Hey, experiencing same exact problem. I've recently replaced my alternator within past few months. Did you just end up doing the same (replace alternator) again or was it a relay ?!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts