Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i need help. I replaced my battery about 4-5 months ago because it died on me after i replaced the battery i started receiveing the check charging system periodically. Then after awhile the check charging system was on all the time so a few weeks pass by and then my car dies so I replaced the alternator. Now the check charging system light comes on as I slow down. I just want to reach out to the tsx community and see if there is anyone who has had this issue themselves. Thank you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have the same exact problems. I would highly appreciate some expertise on this from Acura experts.

The Check Charging System often comes on when I brake at 15-40 mph then pings off almost immediately. My battery usually drains after 4-6 months. I changed the alternator because of this but it has continued to happen.

Many thanks for future replies!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm new to the TSX, but not new to the platform.

If battery and alternator are good, check your grounding points and connections. I know that is a painfully obvious response, but it catches all of us off guard at some point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So....still struggling.
1. Taken out bluetooth thing
2. Changed alternator
3. Changed battery
4. Changed the whole positive to alternator to starter wire
5. All fuses fine

And still having issues. I'll check the grounds as I've missed your reply somehow. I now have a bonus message of 'Check EMISSIONS SYSTEM' which is new but could be linked to changing alternator.

I am begging somebody to help. Pleaaaaaase haha.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Update:
Loose connection on new starter sub wire harness (gray six pin connector). My own fault. Car now putting out 13.7-14.2 V when running, yay!

However, alternator whining! Unsure why.
Secondly, when engine is running and car is stopped (in neutral)...the battery voltage drops to 4,5 or 6 V when the cooling fan comes on!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
You may have exhausted the battery due to the poor connections. Standard car batteries aren’t really meant to cycle in charge.

First step would be to have a load test done to check the health of the battery. But thats only a fair test if it sat on a charger to tender it to a full charge

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have pretty much the exact same symptoms.

1) Battery went dead. Replaced battery. Battery was maybe 4 years old. Ah, it was just it's time to go. Nope.
2) Dash was lit up like a pinball machine. Pretty much every possible light was flashing. VSA, emissions, charging, airbag etc. etc.
3) Battery ends up dead again. Charge battery.
4) Replaced charging harness (pos battery cable assembly). No change.
5) Replaced alternator (new OEM one $$) and negative battery cable. Disconnect bluetooth module.
6) All the dash lights go off for a bit, yeah, it's fixed! Driving it around. Everything seems fine. The emissions light pops on, but no other lights. Ok, maybe we're good. Wrong, car dies on the way to work. Battery is dead.

So I thought step 5 had it fixed, nope.

Another odd quirk it has/had was that when you turned on the low beams, they wouldn't come on, but if you kicked on the AC, they would then come on.

Any ideas?

g

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had same problem when I dropped in car and it was my grounds the were not connecting properly even when tight so I got bigger wire and re did the grounds started right up after

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've just put up a second fight with this on my '08 TSX.

My week went as follows:

Monday morning 1/2 through my commute:
1) Check Charging System Light
Head home at lunch to avoid breakdown in traffic. Car cuts all power on the highway. Restarted OK and got within 5blocks of home before cutting completely, would not start. Towed home (AMA thank god).
2) Replace alternator with new OEM Tuesday
Drive to work Wednesday, with intention of taking to Acura Mechanic friend after work for an A3 service & investigation, 2min away from work:
3) Check Charging System light
4) Take to Acura, Alternator and Battery showing problems with GR-8 test
5) Replace battery since Alt is new (no replacement/warranty alt on hand)

Driving home, within 500m of Acura
6) Check charging system light
7) Service % Drops to 0 even though it was reset while at Acura.

Drive home with no issues, while showing CCS light
8) Warranty Alternator and replace with new OEM last night, quick drive (15min) shows no lights
Drive kid to daycare this morning, on the way home from Coffee stop
9) Check charging system light.
Get home, turn off/on
10) Emissions light, CCS light, service % down to 0 (repeated 3-4 times)

Acura friend and his coworkers stumped, none have heard of this happening
BT module was disabled a few months ago

I took the following steps and haven't had a light for the rest of the day.

Checked voltage and new alt with battery charger, battery was reading 14.3V, alt read good according to the charger. That's good.
Removed negative wire from battery, steel brushed the **** out of it and the mounting point + screw. It was quite dirty all around.
Checked all relays and fuses under the hood. The VSA Motor and Option relays weren't completely seated.
Idled for about 45min in my driveway while I detailed my headlights for corrosion and fogging.

Can keep you updated but after 3 drives today totaling about 30minutes, the issue hasn't surfaced yet.

What we think the original issue was

Bad battery ate alternator(only about 1 year old), and ate the new one by being shitty and spawned some gremlins.

Update:

Was good over the weekend and yesterday. Popped back on today on my way in to work. Going to check the relays at lunch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am also struggling with an 08 TSX. Some of it is self inflicted though :(

Sounds eerily familiar. One thing I found mentioned is that the charging harness can supposedly go bad. It's ~$100 part. I don't think that was the problem with mine, but I replaced it anyways. That and the battery ground cable. Put in a new OEM alternator.... it's looking like the new alternator would have fixed my problems, but I missed plugging on something on the new harness. In the process of troublshooting, I bridged two things with the multimeter probe that should not have been connected. FML.

There's a load detector built into the main power distribution box that supposedly can go bad (called the ELD). It can lead to a dying battery. When the voltage starts to get low, the car's computer(s) gets wonky and start freaking out hence all the seemingly unrelated dash lights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Currently having a similar issue.

Check Charging light, car dies, wont start. Replace alternator. Lasted one day, then dies again. Was sold a bad alternator. Install new alternator, battery is toast. Replace battery.

Just took a trip to Atlanta and back from NC with no issues. Read up on the hands free blue tooth drain and went ahead and disabled it. Got a check charging light for a split second again at low speeds the other day.

Can't tell if just maybe I hit a bump in the road. Like others here I've been reading about the positive battery harness going bad and considering that as a next step.

Sound like we're all having the same problem though. Funny that it seems we're having it at the same time though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm currently at a place where the Check Charging System issues are gone, but now my fuel pump doesn't get power until I toggle my key 5 times for Valet mode. Runs fine and starts reliably this way but it's not great. I'm thinking it's ECU or car starter troubles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
Neche
Acura TSX Forum
TSX Club is the perfect forum for Acura TSX fans and Owners, where you can discuss concerns about reliability or how to upgrade your TSX with mods and accessories.
Full Forum Listing