Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never felt more like MacGyver - in the last week or two I've been trying to address every issue with my car, along with a few mods on the cheap. Today I finished it all!!!

:ninja:

Pedals - these have homemade black sheetmetal inserts behind them to hide the OEM pedals

Shortened my door locks

Replaced my 5 interior lights with blue LEDs

Added a cheapo front lip

:idea::idea::idea:

In addition to these, I've also recently:
* Replaced my APP sensor, which was breaking
* Replaced my dome light module, which was broken
* Replaced my passenger's side door actuator, which was broken

This last item took about 1.5 hours total, I just finished this morning, the install wasn't too bad so long as you read up on the DIYs around the internet. Even cooler was that now that all 4 locks work, my trunk unlocks again with the button. This didn't work before I replaced the door lock actuator, they must be wired in such a way that the circuit has to be complete in order for the trunk to work. So that was a nice surprise!

Here's a pic halfway through this dreaded evil:

Anyhow all this stuff was on my list for the last few months....now it's finally all done, I don't know what to do with myself.

·
VP of Infinite Infinity
1,791 Posts
Your door locks are shortened. How do you open the door without power from the inside (E.g., in an emergency)?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your door locks are shortened. How do you open the door without power from the inside (E.g., in an emergency)?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
There is a small trim disc that surrounds the lock knob, shown in the pic. If I had an emergency, such as a wreck, plunging into icy waters, or needing to escape quickly in the event of the zombie apocalypse, and didn't have power functioning to the locks, I would simply pop off the trim piece mentioned. It can be easily removed with a fingernail. Then a good 1/2" of the knob is exposed to allow unlocking.

I thought of this and that's why I left them a bit higher than flush.

I lowered them because I was tired of my arm being jabbed on it when I had the window rolled down on a nice day.

·
pedal damn it
2,901 Posts
Nice work MacGyver but always inform ur passengers about the door lock trim piece bcuz if ur ever knocked unconscious and ur life was in their hands, ...ur DOOMED!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How did you guys shorten the door locks? I hate getting my are poked.
There is a thread somewhere here or on the other site about it if you want details. Basically you just unscrew it (04 - 05; 06+ has a different mechanism iirc), drill the thread hole a bit deeper, cut off part of the bottom, and replace. Measure all accordingly of course. The hole goes all the way through the knob but the threads only go an inch or so so you will need to drill a bit deeper so that the lock rod can thread deeper into the knob once you screw it back on. You might not even need to cut the knob, I had it all apart yesterday for the actuator swap and I recall there being plenty of room.

For your 07 you might need to remove the door panel as I remember it being held on differently than my 04.

EDIT here's the link:

http://www.tsxclub.com/forums/1st-gen-general-car-topics/47738-shorter-door-lock-knobs.html

Reactions: juri

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.