Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my TSX has a few dings, few scratches but nothing that makes me want to do a whole paint job to fix it. I would like to get some shine out of her. My paint overall is alright but would it be worth to even do it?

I read you have to wax it right after too. What kind of wax job? I usually give my car a nice wash and use Meguiar's detail spray wax but I assume a full buff job which I'm nott so good at :laugh: Thanks for any input!

-Matt

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it is worth the care despite the few scratches and dings. I would clay bar it and then use some Scratch X to remove any of the scratches. Then, I would use Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0 to give it a good wax. I have used this product on numerous cars and I was very happy with the results. I made the mistake of not waxing after clay barring and got all the road contaminants and brake dust plastered back on the car so I had to re-clay bar it. After every wash, I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Detailer spray and it leaves a nice shine and feel to the car. Hope this helps! Good luck! :)

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts
Even if your paint condition isn't at its prime, it should still be cared for to prevent premature oxidation, fading etc. Keep that itch wax'd at the very least!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I'm with wrong05tsx. I guess what it seems like is you want your car to look nice but don't want to put too much time into it so you're probably looking at a 15-20 footer (car looks great 15-20ft away vs 5ft away). Claybar to prep the paint (this will take the most time) and then polish it or just wax it (I prefer sealant for daily driven vehicles). Some people have different ideas when it comes to claybarring. Some people like to claybar twice a year which I find is too excessive and tires out the paint over time. If you aren't looking to find some serious wax and are looking for standard consumer wax, I recommend Meguiars NXT 2.0 tech paste.

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
clay-barring, pending you use common sense will not hurt your car (it can if you don't use clay lube or re0use clay that fell on the floor, etc.), just maybe your wrists and hands since its your first time/first time on car lol.

Since your a novice to this, I would suggest picking up clay magic clay bar (comes with lube, as far as I know clay magic owns the patent and its the cheapest) and some Collinite 845 insulator wax, I have it and keep it always as a backup wax. Very easy to apply, protects well up to 8 months. One of the industry agreed BEST synthetic waxes for the money in terms of longevity and shine.

Remember, clay-barring and waxing does not remove swirls, polish/compounding, which cuts into your clear coat, will.

EDIT: Meguiars NXT is ok-ish stuff..honestly for Autozone over the counter stuff I would look into Meguiars show time Hi-tech yellow wax instead.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Do you need to get swirls out as well? If so, a bit of Poor Boy Super Swirl Remover 2 or 2.5 using a Porter cable would be advisable. I recently got a 2007 and the previous owner used sponges to wash it so it had a light layer of swirls along with some oxidation on it. I went with the following:

Meguiars Clay Bar
Poor Boy SSR 2.0
AutoGlym HD Wax
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax 2.0

It was a 6 hour job but well worth it - the paint was as slick as glass afterwards:

I've now got some super fine Sonus clay as well for the cosmetic touch ups (it claims not to remove wax) and I've since added 2 more layers of Autoglym on top.

Edit: I also like the Autoglym because it smells awesome.

·
, Regional Meet Leader, SF Bay Area
6,942 Posts

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
^Oh know you di-int, BAM!

I call it the Four Star Glaze sandwich (Four Star UPP, Danase Wet Glaze 2.0, Four Star UPP)

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
But any ways, even if you car has dings and scratches, taking care of the paint now will prevent any damages later on.

Might be a weird comparison but it's kinda like having crooked teeth. Sure it might not look pretty, but that doesn't mean you stop brushing and flossing.

·
Registered
347 Posts
^Pretty sure almost all clays will not remove wax. It's not abrasive
It depends:

meguiars.com: FAQ - Does clay remove wax?

6. Does clay remove wax?

Yes, while clay is designed to remove above surface bonded contaminants, clay will also remove some wax protection from the surface. We strongly recommend following the claying process with a coat of wax for maximum gloss and protection.

Mike Phillips from Autogeek says:

Hi Dave,

The answer is "Yes". Claying removes anything on the surface including your wax. After you clay, the minimum you should do is apply a coat of wax so the paint is sealed and protected.​

Source: Will the Clay Bar remove Wax - Car Care Forums: Meguiar's Online

It seems like the medium grade stuff removes some or all of the wax while the super fine stuff doesn't or removes very little. I could feel the difference between the Sonus super fine and the Meguiar's medium that I use but I couldn't say for sure what the difference was.

·
Registered
69 Posts
wong/cyn.......HOLY CRAP, your cars look amazing. well done.

·
Registered
39 Posts
before you clay your car i would always advise a good de taring then rinse then clay , you can use the likes of megs quick detailer which will not remove wax or fairy liquid in warm water in a squirty bottle which almost certainly will remove wax , however i find to get the best base for a sealing and wax to use fairy liquid as you are going to wax it anyway.. swirl x and the likes can be quite harsh and leave dull patches or marring in the paint so you might want to follow up with a polish like 3m ultrafina or light cut compound , also to hard a clay on a non lubed surface will marr the paint (dull it) ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts