Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How to clean your engine

For really dirty engines (cars with high mileage/usage) spray degreaser liberally on the firewall, valve cover, and anywhere else there
is heavy soil. It is okay to spray the engine with water, but try to cover the alternator and ignition coil, wires, etc. Also dry it off with compessed
air or a terri towel (or even an old chamois) and let it dry for a bit (depends on temp) if you don't want to get it wet then use a damp cloth with a degreasing
cleaner (Simple Green, or Castrol SuperClean work very nicely), let it sit, then spray with soapy water
in a spray bottle, and wipe off the excess.

BUT Since your TSX is new...all you have to remember is...
If you wipe your engine bay and top of hood down with a rag every time you wash your car, you will not need to worry about
cleaning your engine ever again (unless your engine spews oil)

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
I would suggest NOT using Castrol SuperClean. It's a petroleum based degreaser and over time will damage hoses and whatnot.

I would also suggest warming up your car a bit before you degrease. Helps to loosen the grease...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I did a little engine bay detailing yesterday. i don't want the dirt to build up. I love a super clean engine.

·
, Moderator Emerita
17,179 Posts

Yeah, he's spoiled! hahahaa :laugh: I get him washed and detailed once every two weeks...Well, sometimes once a month. It depends how dirty he gets hehehe

·
Registered
24 Posts
Every time I wash my car, I have a separate chamoise for the engine compartment, door sills, trunk edges and so forth. I like to keep it as clean as possible. Okay, maybe i'm a little too anal about keeping those areas clean..

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
2x per month????
so far, i've had my TSX for a little over a year, and its been washed on average 1x week at least.
This week it has been washed twice and waxed once.
My neighbors think i'm crazy, because in the winter time, i'm out there in my snowboarding gear washing my car.

·
, Moderator Emerita
17,179 Posts
*looks up at my old comment above* I think I may have posted that in the WRONG thread! hahahaa Has nothing to do with cleaning the ENGINE! What was I thinking! I was such a NOOB! :newbie: hahahahaha :laugh: I think I was suppose to post this in the car washing thread! Oh well! :p

Yeah, I clean my car (as in wash and detail) 2x a month because my car doesn't get THAT dirty or I'm not totally OBSESSED with having a SUPER clean car! hehe I know when my car needs cleaning! Okay...sorry for going off topic.....carry on gentlemen! :grinno:

·
Registered
539 Posts
I usually power wash (soap/rinse/spot free rinse) about 4-5 times a year at the neighborhood U-wash-Um. Then I drive the car for about 10-15 minutes on the hwy to dry the engine bay. It is easier to spot potential problems and fluid leaks when the engine bay is clean.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
so is it completely safe then to just pressure wash the engine?? i'll be doing it on a day off where I don't need to drive so it'll have half an afternoon and overnight to dry.

I've always been too nervous to try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pictures Please :)

Ok, I love pictures! Can someone please post a before and after engine cleaning pictures in this thread adding what they have used and the process for cleaning? This would be great help for me!! Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts