Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TSX 2009

Hello Everyone,

My steering makes a light click sound when I turn the steering to the right. I did some research and found out the steering column might need to be replaced (there is a TSB on it too, electric power steering)

So the dealership is charging close to $1500 as I am out of warranty.

My question is should I get it fixed or can i just eave it as it’s not a loud click it’s very minor (the sound is more noticeable during winters)

Any suggestions?

Thank you

·
Registered
320 Posts
Do you hear the noise closer to the steering wheel, towards your feet or outside the car with some of the noise and clicking feel transmitting into the cabin?

My parent's Jeep has a similar issue (I know, hard to compare these vehicles) but it is the "cancel" mechanism for the turn signal switch. It makes a very plasticky click which comes from the upper part of the steering column

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
My 2011 wagon does the same. Its a light sound, more noticeable upon return. There are some warranty issues with it. I haven't gotten around to take it to the dealer though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not sure if its the "cancel" mechanism or the steering wheel coloum, but has to be one of those two.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I found a TSB numbered 10-048 relating to your issue.

If it is the same popping or clicking, apparently a bearing in the steering column was "mis-set" and will require replacement of the steering column. If you're still in warranty, I would act on this. If may not be fully covered or set all but hopefully Honda/Acura will work with you on the cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes i saw that TSB as well but I am not under warranty and i have herd the issue comeback after a couple of months. hence my question weather its worth getting it fixed?

·
Registered
320 Posts
My only concern is if the bearing could eventually wear and fail causing the column to bind which would be dangerous (obviously).

Also, if it failed without binding, there could be excess lateral play added to the steering shaft which could damage clock springs, turn signal switch and other vital parts. Until one actually fails this is only speculation but possible based on my experience.

Other than that, it's just a nuisance.. In a "luxury" car..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking to take it to the dealer to get it diagnosed it at least . i think its a $140 charge for it

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think the steering rack is the issue. Any word on this ?
It would take a small bit of time to pinpoint the noise but if the steering shaft was removed from the rack, that would isolate each component. Then if moving the steering wheel still produced the clicking noise, it's in the column.

Likewise, the wheels can be turned slowly by hand to feel anything unusual in the rack.

DISCLAIMER
- The column isn't as "loaded" when disconnected from the rack
- The rack is not subject to the same stress if the wheels are off the ground
- DO NOT attempt this unless you are experienced. Accidentally forgetting where "center" is with the steering wheel can destroy the clock springs (wiring for Airbag and steering wheel controls) resulting in injury from accidental airbag deployment or other damage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i took it to the dealer and yes its the steering coloum, they said its not a safety hazard if you don't get it fixed.

Although if Ii do decide to get it fixed outside of warranty its $1300 :-(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts