Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, i have all kinds of noises that have gotten worse over the past 2 weeks.

i reported my clicking noise before - coming from front left, clicking/ticking noise gets faster as speed goes faster. dealer said they can hear it but said cv boot, axle, etc. are all fine.

now i have 2 new rather loud noises - sounds like they are coming from rear left. one noise is a metallic sharpening noise coming on no matter when; be it coasting, on the gas, or braking. its off and on but its gotten worse

the other noise is a loud whine when i put the car in reverse; as a test, i've put the car on a hill, put it in neutral and rolled back and the whine is there...

i'm at 61000 miles and fresh out of warranty... any ideas would be appreciated.

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Are your brakes in good shape? The "sharpening" noises sound like a brake pad squealer contacting the rotor. Also, it could be a brake dust shield rubbing on the rotor. I have a 6MT so extreme whining in reverse is normal. I'm not sure what would cause this in a 5AT though.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are your brakes in good shape? The "sharpening" noises sound like a brake pad squealer contacting the rotor. Also, it could be a brake dust shield rubbing on the rotor. I have a 6MT so extreme whining in reverse is normal. I'm not sure what would cause this in a 5AT though.
i passed safety inspection (its a hawaii thing) from dealer and 3rd party shop. i'm assuming brakes are good.

the metal sharpening noise occurs regardless of whether i'm on the brakes or coasting/accelerating.

i'm familiar with the reverse noise on an MT car; the noise i have is much loader than what an AT car has and it happens even when i'm rolling back in neutral...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ended up being uneven wear on the left rear brake pad... I've never heard such screeching before but now i know how it sounds on the tsx.

I've never heard brake screeching even when accelerating/coasting...

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Yeah, those squealers are really obnoxious. If it wore unevenly, be sure and check that your caliper is properly functioning. If the slider pins are seized up, the outside pad won't do anything and the inside pad will wear out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts