Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, my headlights work perfectly but the inner face of the headlight is becoming clouded and is quite unappealing, i will post a picture to show everyone what i mean, but does anyone know how to clean or fix this problem?

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
Youtube it. That's how I learn to clear out head lights.

It's gonna require some sanding so make sure to pay attention. I usually use 1000 grit sand paper to remove heavy oxidation. Then I use a 2000 grit sand paper to reduce the marring. Then I buff it out with polish and the lens should be clear again.

If all of those doesn't sound too familiar, then please research it before tackling it.

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
I used the 3M kit that you can find at an auto parts store. You'll need a cordless/corded drill and it will do the rest. Kit worked very well. Some one before me tried removing the cloudy look with some sand paper and it looked like crap. The 3M kit made it look very nice.

·
Registered
786 Posts
OR, you can go to the dealership and request that they give you new headlights because its a recall. They will run your vin number to see if it was replaced.... I don't have warranty, but I had the front headlights, middle control lights, pw steering hose all replaced for free!!!.. GL

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I used the 3M kit that you can find at an auto parts store. You'll need a cordless/corded drill and it will do the rest. Kit worked very well. Some one before me tried removing the cloudy look with some sand paper and it looked like crap. The 3M kit made it look very nice.
Hmmm, interesting that the 3M kit comes with sand paper. I think that's much better than Meguairs where they only give you the polishing pad and PlastX

·
Registered
280 Posts
pretty east! just buy a kit or as stated above sum 1500 grit and 2000 grit sand paper. tape off the border of the lights so u don't sand ur paint and soke the sand paper in water. then wet sand the lights. wet the lights first then start sanding with the wet sand paper starting wit 1500 grit maintaining a wet surface as u go along. p.s ur light will look like crap at this point no worries though. then follow the same steps with the 2000 grit" make sure to scuff up the surface evenly. last step is to use a compound and buff out the scratches u created. u can do it by hand or if possible with a buffer which I recommend and poof new lights!! for better results finish with a polish to add the extra fresh look! good luck!! this is just my 2 cents

·
The other white meat...
743 Posts
Hmmm, interesting that the 3M kit comes with sand paper. I think that's much better than Meguairs where they only give you the polishing pad and PlastX
Yeah, 3M kit is really nice. The instructions are very easy to follow. I like it due to it using sand paper. Then to finish it off, it includes the foam buffer pad and 3M restore polish.

I've tried just using the plastX kit on another vehicle and the 3M kit beats it hands down. It's the best $20 fix on the market.

·
Registered
375 Posts
OR, you can go to the dealership and request that they give you new headlights because its a recall. They will run your vin number to see if it was replaced.... I don't have warranty, but I had the front headlights, middle control lights, pw steering hose all replaced for free!!!.. GL
how true is this?

·
Controlling Destiny
334 Posts
Restored my headlights. Figured I'd post up a few pics. No kit used, just a few differents grades of sandpaper and some 3M polish. Major difference.

·
LED Addict
874 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
proof? i would think the dealership will pass it off as a "wear and tear" item... otherwise, i'd ask my dealer too. only the right side headlight is cloudy for me. i'd be interested in this route as well if its true.

·
LED Addict
874 Posts
Today i went to a dealership close by to find out more about this situation. I went in and described my problem (my passenger side is getting condensation). The employee there told me there isn't a recall on it but just a service update. So what they do is they replace the 2 clips so it prevents the headlight to get more condensation. He told me since you already have the condensation inside, by putting these clips will make it stay in there and won't dry away. So he told me to come back when its little hot outside so all the condensation is gone from the headlights and then we can put those clips in for you.

My question is, Is what he told me true or did he makeup an excuse?
Its november and the only time it will get hot now is in April here in Canada so how am i suppose to get the condensation out before that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts