Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After braking hard and letting off the pedal a bit when coming to a stop i hear a clunking/popping noise from the front end.

No loose bolts. CV boots OK and no clicking while turning. No sound when accelerating just after hard braking. Can't feel it in the brake pedal and can't feel it in the steering wheel. While going straight or before entering a turn. New front pads tonight also.

Any ideas?

:fro:

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
Recently I developed a subtle "clunk" from the front right when going over small bumps like driveway edges or railroad tracks. Not long after, I noticed the same noise (I think) that you are experiencing. When I brake really hard and the front dampers compress, everything is fine but as soon as the car is stopped and I release brake pressure, I get a clunk/pop from the front right. I assume these noises are linked. This past weekend I removed the passenger front strut and began could not reproduce ANY noises from the chassis parts/bushings etc.

I pretty much concluded that the damper is causing the noise but I didn't have a spring compressor on-hand to properly pin it down.

I'm running the stock suspension but they have 90k miles on them and I live in Boston (no smooth roads) so it's not a surprise if the dampers are starting to make noises.

What about you? I see you're running the supercup kit. How many miles are on them and what are your road conditions like?

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about you? I see you're running the supercup kit. How many miles are on them and what are your road conditions like?
Roads for the most part are ok. Id say about 20k on the kit. Never thought of looking at the shock assembly. Maybe they arent seated properly anymore.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you ruled out a motor mount?
Haven't noticed any other symptoms of a bad motor mount.

Replaced FSB end links and lubed the bushings. Sound is still there.

Bout to pull the front strut assembly.

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did a couple things this morning.

-Pulled the front spring/strut assemblies and all looks well

-Pulled front caliper pins and re lubed them

-Checked tightness of all bolts, exhaust hangers, etc

But I did notice the lower control arm shock absorber bushing on both sides have some tears in them. They aren't deep by any means.

Driver side

Passenger side

What do y'all think?

·
That's Doctor
231 Posts
I honestly don't see anything wrong with your bushings. I'm tempted to pull the upper control arms and see how the bushings are holding up.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
are you guys on coils that dont have a lower height adjustment? because if your spring rate is too loose when the car hits bumps it will cause the spring too "pop"

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did a couple things this morning.

-Pulled the front spring/strut assemblies and all looks well

-Pulled front caliper pins and re lubed them

-Checked tightness of all bolts, exhaust hangers, etc

Does the clunking noise still exist after you re-greased the front calipers sliding pins?

·
PhisaggiN
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are you guys on coils that dont have a lower height adjustment? because if your spring rate is too loose when the car hits bumps it will cause the spring too "pop"
I'm on the Neuspeed cup kit

Does the clunking noise still exist after you re-greased the front calipers sliding pins?
Hard to say because the caliper pins were sliding smoothly and were still greased. After a small drive this morning I didn't notice anything from the front, but now notice something from the back. WTF. Checking rear endlinks tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is there any update with this? I am having the same symptoms (thump/clunk sound coming from the front when I brake hard). I also can generate the same sound when I accelerate hard after hearing the noise from breaking. It sounds/feels like it's coming from the front, driver-side suspension somewhere, not too far past my feet. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Check your Upper ball joints... I just replaced both upper control arms / ball joints and got an alignment and it is a whole new car! The ball joints were not in terrible shape but there was some play that caused slight vibration and clunking noise when going over small bumps and when accelerating and braking. My car has 128k miles, 2004 tax 5at.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow .....same exact thing happened to me and it happened to be the upper control arm bushing but I changed both the upper control arms drivers and passenger side and the problem is now gone and the cars handling and comfort are back to the way like I first drove off the dealers lot, very smooth ride.. btw....my car now has 218k miles I didn't know control arms can make soo much difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

·
GTSX-05PWP
1,613 Posts
Wow .....same exact thing happened to me and it happened to be the upper control arm bushing but I changed both the upper control arms drivers and passenger side and the problem is now gone and the cars handling and comfort are back to the way like I first drove off the dealers lot, very smooth ride.. btw....my car now has 218k miles I didn't know control arms can make soo much difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727
Can you guys explain more of your symptoms prior to changing out the upper ball joints...did the vehicle have a unstable feel driving down a straight road? I get the same popping under hard braking. I've changed my compliance bushings to no avail its helped reduce vibration under braking but my car still has a very unstable feel down a straight road.

BTW; did you guys change the upper control arm's or press out the bushings?

·
Shouldaboughtahonda!
286 Posts
Wonder if this has any relation to the inner axel joint failure a lot of 04s are seeing? I have symptoms of both of these problems and am cautious to take it to a local shop without more education lol. Seems my 04 has every problem known to the tsx world so far... :(

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
38 Posts
You guys with this problem can also just change the bushing but my mechanic friend told me not to cheap out on this so I got upper control arms with built in ball joint not very expensive I got mine from autopartswarehouse.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts