Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my TSX 2 weeks ago.. only have 700 or so miles on it now.

I've driven a manual most of my life, but shifting into first or second seems abnormal... as if I have to let up slower on the clutch than other cars

Question is... is this normal? Is the clutch just maybe not *worn in* yet? To me it should be just much easier when new.

Maybe its the throttle? When you let up on the gas when in gear, then tap back on it it seems jumpy.. maybe this is what's causing the issue.

Any other experiences along these lines?

·
your mom goes to college
120 Posts
i know i have kinda the same problem, but im not sure...when i shift from 1rst to 2nd and i redline, i tend to hear a grind...lol i know im raping the transmission but wondering if anyone has the same problem. or if im just a very crappy driver.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

I know this is such the topic of discussion, but three weeks before I got the TSX, my SO bought a new Legacy GT/5 speed... so we now have the two most compared vehicles these days... haha!

Anyway keep me posted about the clutch.. I know its hydraulic but are there any ajustments the dealer can perform on it?

·
Registered
67 Posts
i just my tsx 3 days ago. and i'm having that trouble with 1st to 2nd. it's not a smooth transition. my friend says that i'm coming off it too late...or too slow...or too fast. i think you have to rev match so that you can have a smooth shift. ie. apply gas as you come off the clutch.

dont take my word for it...i'm just learning just like everyone else. maybe we should get the experts in here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
GFP14 said:
i just my tsx 3 days ago. and i'm having that trouble with 1st to 2nd. it's not a smooth transition. my friend says that i'm coming off it too late...or too slow...or too fast. i think you have to rev match so that you can have a smooth shift. ie. apply gas as you come off the clutch.

dont take my word for it...i'm just learning just like everyone else. maybe we should get the experts in here.

Since you are shifting up, you cannot rev match.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Noel said:
But, you can double clutch.
?? Not on a TSX. If you understand a modern manual transmission you understand how you never need to rev-match or double-clutch an upshift.

Just shift smoother if your jerking around. It takes time to get used to.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree with joerockt. I don't drive a MT but have been reading LOTS about them. Double clutching is not required in modern MT's. I guess it could help you with your problem but wouldn't you rather just practice and get better?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have had the same issues you guys describe with mine. I have found that you need to be very gentle and sometimes even skip 2nd until it warms up. Then, slightly slower shifts will help with the grinding. My dealer told me there is no adjustment and everything is operating normal, so hopefully the tranny goes before my 75k warranty is up.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
jonpfive said:
I have had the same issues you guys describe with mine. I have found that you need to be very gentle and sometimes even skip 2nd until it warms up. Then, slightly slower shifts will help with the grinding. My dealer told me there is no adjustment and everything is operating normal, so hopefully the tranny goes before my 75k warranty is up.
You know, another thing that I've been doing is just skipping first altogether. If im at a stop light or stop sign, I just leave it in 2nd, bring the revs up (about 2K-2.5K or so) and go. Theirs plenty of bottom to get you going. Hell I even did it in third by mistake one time.

So, unless you feel you need to launch at every stop (which is hard to avoid sometimes, I'll admit :cool: ), try starting from 2nd.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
joerockt said:
?? Not on a TSX. If you understand a modern manual transmission you understand how you never need to rev-match or double-clutch an upshift.
I mentioned a can instead of a need in reflect of exactly that. The main design of the clutch/gearbox design of the CL9 matched with the specific 1st gear ratio can make it hard to do a smooth shift or launch without sufficient experience.

I run a reinforced single plate and lightened flywheel combination along with different transmission fluids based on application use. And that changes the perspective of how to take off appropriately also attributed to the 1st gear ratio.

·
Slickness...
971 Posts
Noel said:
I run a reinforced single plate and lightened flywheel combination along with different transmission fluids based on application use. And that changes the perspective of how to take off appropriately also attributed to the 1st gear ratio.
And this car is your daily driver? Dosent it get a bit monotonous changing your gear oil everytime you want to take it to the track?

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Maintenance is a high priority to me, no complains from me. It's cheaper and more cost effective when comparing to replacing components or failed parts.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Yes, it is my daily driver and I don't believe anyone uses the car like I do even when driven daily. This specific car isn't tuned for trackwork (I have other cars for that purpose). It's is instead used for winding roads and hillclimbs instead. It generally gets a fornightly intense shakedown along with serving my daily needs. Even when driven daily, the car will see 200KM/H at least once a day and gets redlined for the most good period of the time when I'm behind the wheel. So maintenance is high on the agenda and maintained like clockwork.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Unfortunately nope. Those are classified. Only a handful of images of our race cars are captured or kept for reference or development. It's a cutthroat arena with endless leeches. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts