Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
, Regional Meet Leader, Chicago
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up fellow TSX'ers?!

SO lately in the FREEZING cold climate of Michigan... i've come across a few issues with my car.

1) My Ingalls ETD is stiff and squeeks alot
2) Coolant temp sensor is failing, the code/light has gone away for the time being...

My biggest worry right now...
3) Clutch is making a noise that sounds like "hoooooo-ngggggg" ... not a creaking and not coming from inside the cabin or from the pedal. Think of the noise as a rusted steel cylinder rotating inside of another steel cylinder and rubbing against it.
It happens mostly when i'm at slow speeds - 1st / reverse... when i'm near the end of letting the clutch out completely.

I've done some research and it seems it could be a TOB (throw out bearing) but my issue doesn't happen everyday or all the time, mainly on cold starts in the morning.

Any thoughts?

TIA!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Finally, I'm not alone! I think I have a similiar noise when mostly cold and popping into 1st (never reverse). Not sure with your hooo-ng description :) but it's definitely a very loud screech with potentially rubbery sound to it with some hard metal-on-metal sound in it. Not high pitched at all and only happens once during a drive.
Took it to Acura a year ago and they said it could be accessory belt but were not 100% sure as they couldn't replicate the noise. Since the belts in the USA are 60% cheaper than at Canadian stealerships, I picked one from Acura of Peoria oem parts site. Installed the accessory belt myself and was happy until the sound came back. So it was NOT an accessory belt (thanks acura).
when I took it in I asked the guy if it was a clutch since it was so profound and only occurs ones and on clutch release in 1st, but he said probably not as I don't feel any vibration through the clutch pedal and they usually don't make noise. But then again, he is just a service advisor. So no idea where this is coming from :donno:

·
I </3 NY ROADS
4,046 Posts
I'm not sure if this is the same sound I get in cold weather when taking off in 1st at around 5mph. Like yours I only get it sometimes and could never replicate it. It's been like that since around 20k miles I'm at 79k now. Clutch still grabs fine, no sign of slippage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ya, that's it!
Impossible to consistently replicate and only happens when cold, popping into 1st gear, releasing the clutch and is gone by the time the pedal is completely released.

Clutch does grab fine with no issues and no vibration coming through the pedal at all. And yeah, my gut was telling it was not the drive (accessory) belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.