Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Blakura
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok on my 6MT tsx....i'm seeming to notice this: going to second gear from first..it feels like second gear is not grabbing (its grabbing, but doesn't feel smooth....more of a grinding feel). It feels as if you aren't pressing down the clutch enough for second gear to grab....thats exactly how it feels like everytime i go to second from first gear, even when i press the clutch in enough...anyone have this similar experience or know wats going on ? When the engine is off or car's just standing still, i can shift through 2nd gear smoothly, but going out of first gear to second, it doesn't feel smooth.

·
Blakura
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well when i drove the RSX and new TL before, it was smooth on all 6 gears.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
my gears do feel a bit stiff to change - it almost makes a small noise like if you were switching on and off something.

What I do not like much is that the throttle does not seem to be very linear - it is hard to explain but it seems like there are some hesitations - holes - when I accelerate. Kinda like a spring like behavior especially in 2nd gear.

not sure if I explained that well.

Is this a problem with the clutch or just the way the car is made ?

·
Registered
294 Posts
i have a comptech S shifter in my car. going from 1 to 2 going fast sometimes it wont even go into gear, just grinds and fights back. i even experiment making the gear easier to go in by regulating the revs. and down shifting 3 to 2, it grinds breifly most of the time. kind of a piss off
its cuz if you look at your shifters internals. its some dumbass wire hooked onto the end of the shift knob. i think that i would prefer a more mechanically stable shifting mechanism. i dont know what other types there are , but i know they arent all hooked onto 1 cable stretching into the engine area..

·
Blakura
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man i knew i should have waited for the 05 model....just another 2 weeks and i would have an 05 ordered........

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The type of transmission fluid used can dictate how the way a gearbox shifts and can make it from notchy to smooth and vice-versa. I find Honda/Acura fluids for transmissions not capable of standing up to spirited/hard driving without a doubt.

Give Motul or Redline a try, these are competition fluids that'll have a much shorter lifetime but would improve shifting through gears a more impressive touch. Not to mention, they can operate under higher temperatures and increased tolerance.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I read through the other thread and could only conclude that a small number out of the people polled raised this concern (Not exactly "everyone"). Like the AP1, DC2 and DC5 gearboxes through my experience, 1st - 2nd gearing is or was constantly a concern by owners. But Honda issue TSBs to both the S2000 and DC5 not including DC2 to help improve the situation, in short this also often came down to maintenance/care and fluid application to improvise on the shift/gearing feel even with TSBs don't fix the on-going concern.

Out of the responses made on the other thread, here are the common types affecting shift/gearing feel with my appropriate recommendations. Note, I have never applied any TSBs to any of the following 4 types of cars owned and currently still own over the years - AP1, DC2, DC5, CL9. I hope this helps to give you an understanding.

- Weather/Temperature | Like I've mentioned above about OEM tranmission fluid chracteristics and behavior, the selective use of speciality transmission fluid can reduce/remove this problem but pricing premium and more constant interval changes will be required to maintain the same level of consistency moving forward.

- Shifting/Driving Methodology | Also related not directed at RPM change level, this seems to be the most common reply although most practices I would not condone (Ala clutch dumping, "shifting with authority?" etc), period. My suggestion is to do one of the following - Rev Match or Double Clutch when shifting, you'd find that shifting will be more precise and accurate not only to reduce gearbox/transmission synchro wear.

If you need further information on fluid application to match what is available to you locally, let me know.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts