Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 TSX woke up one morning to go to work and I couldn't shift into 1-3ed gear only 4-6th worked so I switched out the clutch master and slave and I did bleed out the air but it's worse now I can't shift into any of the gears it's just grinds any ideas

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you hear any high pitched squealing noises or any kind of noise when the car is running, turned on? It could be your throw out bearing. How many miles on the car? Are the clutch parts original? If so, could be your clutch throw out bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you hear any high pitched squealing noises or any kind of noise when the car is running, turned on? It could be your throw out bearing. How many miles on the car? Are the clutch parts original? If so, could be your clutch throw out bearing.

The parts are original as far as I know the car has 230k kilometers and there's no noise at all only the grinding when trying to put it into gear

·
Registered
707 Posts
Check your shift mechanism on top of the trans. The cables may be stretched, or there may be something getting in the way preventing the car from going in gear correctly.

When I added my system in my car my inline fuse and holder ended up getting in the way of my shift mechanism and wouldn't let me go into gear.

Is your clutch slave cylinder pushing the shift fork like it should be? If so I'm leaning towards throwout bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check your shift mechanism on top of the trans. The cables may be stretched, or there may be something getting in the way preventing the car from going in gear correctly.

When I added my system in my car my inline fuse and holder ended up getting in the way of my shift mechanism and wouldn't let me go into gear.

Is your clutch slave cylinder pushing the shift fork like it should be? If so I'm leaning towards throwout bearing.

I looked and nothing was in the way of the shifting mech and the slave is new and I used a vacuum pump to bleed it

And the clutch doesn't seem like it's slipping it just grinds when I try and put it in 2nd, 3ed and R

·
Registered
179 Posts
Can you select gears with the engine off? My thought is the clutch is not disengaging as it should. If you can select gears with the engine off but not on, this is the problem. At your mileage the stock clutch is likely at or near the end of it's life.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you select gears with the engine off? My thought is the clutch is not disengaging as it should. If you can select gears with the engine off but not on, this is the problem. At your mileage the stock clutch is likely at or near the end of it's life.

Yeah when the car is off I can easily move it into gear with no problem that was my worst fear. It was a clutch it's a lot of work to do in your driveway lol

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah when the car is off I can easily move it into gear with no problem that was my worst fear. It was a clutch it's a lot of work to do in your driveway lol
If the slave is pushing the clutch fork as it should, then sounds like your clutch is toast. That said, mine was worn down to the rivets and slipped like you wouldn't believe and it would still let me into each gear so it could very well be a throwout bearing issue too. Either way, trans has to come out so you might as well start budgeting for a clutch/fw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 06 TSX with 59k miles on it. I also get a weird noise with the clutch. 1st gear usually, but slightly in 2nd also. It goes into gear fine, but the noise happens as I'm letting the clutch pedal out. Its like a whiny, grinding noise. Doesn't happen all the time, but more often than I like. Throw-out bearing? Is that a common issue with the 1st gen TSX's?

Thanks for any help in advance...

- DM
(sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack :) )

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the similar issues. I changed my slave cylinder a few months ago, it was better for a while but now it is back. I have 138k miles on the car and I believe it is the original clutch, I have the car just over 4yrs now, got it with 97k miles. Anyways, I know for a fact now that my clutch is DONE. I have am getting clutch slippage in basically all the gears to the point now where it starts to disable my cruise control when I am cruising at highways speeds because the clutch slippage it interpreted as a clutch disengagement (at least that what I noticed). I also have the 'hard to get into gears' issue, expecially on colder mornings, I am fighting regularly with gears 1 and 5 to the point where sometimes I just skip them to avoid the 'argument'...lol

Anyways, I have parked it as of yesterday, I know the next step is that I will leave home one day and need to wrecker to get back so I rather avoid that expense. I will soon attempt the clutch change myself and post my learning experience to YouTube, current there are not videos of a TSX clutch, plan to be the first. Wish me luck.

My advice to you is to change all the clutch related parts - clutch disc, pilot bearing, Throw out bearing, Flywheel(or resurface) and while you are at it, change the axle seals and definitely the crankshaft main seal (preventative so you dont have to go back in later on).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Clutch job isn't terrible in the TSX. Myself and a few other members have all replaced transmissions in the last year - not a terrible job at all. Absolutely right tho with the rear main seal.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes definitely look up the transmission swap threads here. A member came up with a way to do it without dropping the subframe and several of us have done that recently (myself included) and added our own tips and notes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts