Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted a clarification on a clutch fitment. I am planning on buying the competition clutch stage 1.5 for the rsx-s. This allows me to get the competition clutch 11lb flywheel for the rsx-s and they will fit correctly on my 04MT right?

Also what else should I replace while I'm doing the work, I have heard a lot about other parts that should be done?

Thanks for the help!!

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I too was looking at this kit, but also throwing out the possibility of running the exedy stage one and the competition flywheel...
I wanted a clutch that will last longer than OEM, so I'm hesitant on getting an OEM RSX-S one..

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
DO NOT i repeat DO NOT get the 1.5!!! there has been issues on that stage with Competition and i was one of the many that had problems with the disc springs! it cost me another kit i had to buy since i was out of my 90 day warantee and i'm just trying to help you out. either go with the stage 2 or 3 which i ended up having to use in the end.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
^Good to know. I'll probably stick with the exedy stage 1 + competition 11.5lb flywheel.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
^Good to know. I'll probably stick with the exedy stage 1 + competition 11.5lb flywheel.
i've used CC for about 10 years and never had an issue but my local shop said they had sold 12 of those kits and 12 came back defective. i have the stage 3 six puck and i love it, though it can get annoying in very heavy traffic but runs like a champ.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I dont need anything that aggressive for my use. I wanted something that will last me longer than an OEM clutch.. and Ive heard good things about the Exedy Stage 1 clutch.

Thanks for your input. I hope this info helps the OP out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I dont need anything that aggressive for my use. I wanted something that will last me longer than an OEM clutch.. and Ive heard good things about the Exedy Stage 1 clutch.

Thanks for your input. I hope this info helps the OP out.
You'll have a hard time finding anything that will last longer then OEM clutch (at least as consistently as in 10 out of 10 or 9 out of 10 units sold).
If OEM was reasonable for your needs, might be worth looking into as it is not that expensive either (under $300)...
Also going with lighter fly on a heavy car like TSX will have it's negatives, so if you have a chance to try one (someone's else TSX that has one already) before going this route, it might be ideal thing to do.
Once I put in 8.8 fly and didn't like it so much that I ended taking it out after few Ks, some people love it though, so it's a mixed bag.

Nino

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
I've driven in cars with lightened flywheels before, and the Competition weighs in at 11.5 lbs, which is what I've used on my previous car (h22a accord)

·
Registered
124 Posts
TSX DBW is a strange animal, I'd be curious to hear back from you once you get this fitted and worked in.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just installed the exedy stage 1 clutch kit, exedy 8.9lb flywheel and it drives pretty easily. Still getting used to it from a stop, but its really not thhhaaatt bad. I'll be ok with it

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,878 Posts
I have the CC Stage 4 6 puck in mine with the 11.5lb flywheel. I literally learned stick on an OEM TSX clutch in about 20hrs of seat time before switching to the Stage 4. Seems fine to me. Definitely is a work out in traffic though.

Below is the description on CC site.

Stage 4 Sprung - Strip Series 1620 Clutch Kit
This assembly, available with a double spring, six rivet carriage is good for ease of gear transition with higher horsepower. This disc complimented by a performance pressure plate provides up to 250% increase in torque capacity. 300 mile break-in recommended with this set-up.

The 1620 Series kit includes a performance pressure plate, a six puck high torque sprung disc with Ceramic buttons, all applicable bearings, and the appropriate alignment tool.
Probably over kill for most with just regular bolt ons but since I am make 348whp and 254ftlbs I needed something a little stronger. To me it drives very easy though. Still getting used to the shift from 1-2 though when pushing it hard.

·
Registered
427 Posts
hmm. just don't go under 10lbs flywheel. it sucks. i used a 8lbs... and i hated it... then i got a 13lb civic si flywheel and loved it =D paired it to a exedy stage 1. Had a stage 3 before... too much chatter.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
hmm. just don't go under 10lbs flywheel. it sucks. i used a 8lbs... and i hated it... then i got a 13lb civic si flywheel and loved it =D paired it to a exedy stage 1. Had a stage 3 before... too much chatter.
i agree here about the flywheel. I can feel the torque loss and only ended up with the 8lb because clubrsx made a mistake on my order and i couldn't afford down time. i will however switch it out soon when i decide to swap out my final gear.

·
WAT DO?
716 Posts
Just ordered the competition 2-800-st (11.5lb) flywheel and exedy stage one clutch. Should be here by the end of the week.

My clutch isnt exactly toast, but I'd rather order the parts now so when it finally gives out I won't be in a bind.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just ordered the competition 2-800-st (11.5lb) flywheel and exedy stage one clutch. Should be here by the end of the week.

My clutch isnt exactly toast, but I'd rather order the parts now so when it finally gives out I won't be in a bind.
went with the OEM package... Kinda wish I woulda got the Stage1+ lightweight. Oh well it is super smooth and I think I may be able to even teach the wifey.

^when RPMs go up and the car doesnt go faster foward... like slipping on snow but inside the tranny

·
From Nissan to Honda
2,170 Posts
sorry, it my first manual car.
how do you know if your clutch is needed to replace soon?
If you are moving and the rpms go up but the speed doesnt :). That means its slipping.

There are many tests, like trying to start from 3rd and seeing it if stalls, etc. but the simplest is to drive at 30mph and put it into 6th and go full throttle. If it accelerates (albeit, very slow) you are fine, if the rpms go up and the speed isn't, lol....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Yeah civic si is around 15 lbs.. Good oem upgrade. And you will enjoy the exedy clutch its quiet and smooth

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Yeah civic si is around 15 lbs.. Good oem upgrade. And you will enjoy the exedy clutch its quiet and smooth
Where can I shop for the Si flywheel? i really want to swap out this 8lb that i have.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts