-ACURA ABS
CODE 83-1 PERMANENT
ECM/PCM RELATION FAILURE,

CAN THIS BE FIX AND WHAT SHOULD I DO?
Light Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment

·
Registered
388 Posts
It can be fixed. The 83-1 code will go away when you fix the ECM/PCM failure. Unless you're a trained mechanic or very good at troubleshooting I would take it to a good mechanic or the dealer. ECM/PCM issues can be involving and costly, especially if you don't know what you are doing and cause more problems. This is not something I would recommend undertaking if you are not very confident in your mechanic skills.

·
-
1,695 Posts
If you clear that DTC does it come back right away? Any other DTC's?
Automatic or manual trans?

Has the Acura TSX ECM Recall been completed?

I would remove and examine the ECM circuit board anyway. It's easy to do.
You are looking for corrosion and mineral build up on the ECM circuit board.

Reactions: Litespeed08

·
Registered
81 Posts
ALOHA TC,

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ON THIS. WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED..,,,,

SO I GOT A 07 TSX AND I SCANNED IT AND GOT

-ACURA ABS
CODE 83-1 PERMANENT
ECM/PCM RELATION FAILURE,

CAN THIS BE FIX AND WHAT SHOULD I DO? View attachment 48750
Yeah I got same code as well but the only light lit is the TPMS and there are codes for that as well. Would be nice to finally see this light out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, about the only things I won't touch at home are trannies and ABS. I'd take it to the dealer unless you have a rock-star asian shop.
Yeah I got same code as well but the only light lit is the TPMS and there are codes for that as well. Would be nice to finally see this light out.
Clear the light on the DTS.. or check ur tpms .. im not a real mechanic

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It can be fixed. The 83-1 code will go away when you fix the ECM/PCM failure. Unless you're a trained mechanic or very good at troubleshooting I would take it to a good mechanic or the dealer. ECM/PCM issues can be involving and costly, especially if you don't know what you are doing and cause more problems. This is not something I would recommend undertaking if you are not very confident in your mechanic skills.
Whats the chances and how to get it fix,, where i live, thr are no big shops ,, i live in a remote island.. also i dont trust any of these mechanics at the shop, ive heard alot of bad news.. anyways lets get back to jow can i get it fix.. what should i do if i dont want to spend $$ on a mechanic or buying a new ecm/pcm and hate to reprogram it.. what is thr to do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you clear that DTC does it come back right away? Any other DTC's?
Automatic or manual trans?

Has the Acura TSX ECM Recall been completed?

I would remove and examine the ECM circuit board anyway. It's easy to do.
You are looking for corrosion and mineral build up on the ECM circuit board.
Never tried it YET, only DTC is just that (83-1) relation failure -abs-anti locking system oh and irs a automatic trans
Light Communication Device Gadget Font Audio equipment

Gadget Output device Communication Device Electronic instrument Portable communications device

·
Registered
186 Posts
When I get home this week I'll look at my shop manual, see what it says.

What Island you one? Being remote, you should probably try to get a copy of the OEM shop manual for your car. It's pretty detailed for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If you don't trust your local mechanics and don't want to pay for some parts then you should take the good advice given by CalgaryTSX and merlinj79. Definitely acquire an oem shop manual and troubleshoot it properly. That would be the cheapest given your other reservations. Of course this requires putting in effort but that depends on how committed you are to trying fix the issue. You can do it if you really are serious about fixing it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have cleared the 83-1 code with my scanner but it does pop back up a few days later but there is no light illuminated on my dash that relates to it. The car has been driving smooth with no issues. But definitely would like to know what exactly to tackle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have cleared the 83-1 code with my scanner but it does pop back up a few days later but there is no light illuminated on my dash that relates to it. The car has been driving smooth with no issues. But definitely would like to know what exactly to tackle.
I haven’t done it yet to clear on scan, now my problems is car wont start sometimes and dash cluster lights dims, been told its alternator, ill do the test tomarrow, battery pull out or multimeter test when car runs and if alternator charges battery

·
Registered
81 Posts
I haven’t done it yet to clear on scan, now my problems is car wont start sometimes and dash cluster lights dims, been told its alternator, ill do the test tomarrow, battery pull out or multimeter test when car runs and if alternator charges battery
I went through the battery issue. I was getting the "Check Charging System" flash on my cluster and then the battery icon would pop on and then go back out. Car would want shut off but doesnt. Lights go all wonky. For me it was the alternator. Swapped in a new refurbished one. Car is proper now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts