Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are threads on this, guys cutting the slits out of the 04/05 foglight area for airflow to the intake, but I wanted to take the cutting a step further.. has anyone actually cut out the winglets aswell, sanded it down and made a smooth airduct into the bumper? I've seen the j's carbon fiber ones for other cars, and I'm installing an icebox probably this weekend so wanted another mini project. Thoughts anyone?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
281 Posts
When I installed my icebox I cut out the areas between the slits for more airflow and I used a dremel so there was no need to sand anything down. I didn't remove the actual slits because I wanted something to help deflect road debris from entering. I also wrapped that area with chicken-type wiring. Now that you mention it I guess I could have also removed the slits since the wire would help block the debris. Good idea to remove the slits.

I also mounted a channel/tube behind that area to aid airflow directly to the icebox. The tube stopped a few inches short of directly touching the bottom of the ice box port. This was intentional to let any incoming water have a way out and not be forced to go all the way into the icebox, wetting the filter. Airflow is still guided into the icebox so there is probably minimal impact and loss of airflow. Good luck with your installation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm yeah that makes sense, I was eventually wanting to have a straight tube from the "duct" up to the icebox but now that you mention water.. though do you think water could get that far up the tube? Also did you notice a noticiable difference after cutting out the back of the foglight cover?

·
Registered
281 Posts
The small gap between the fog light cover and the icebox was more of a preventive measure. Thinking about it I rationalized that it couldn't hurt. If there is a continuous path to the filter then it's 100% certain that with enough pressure anything will reach the filter unless it's given an out. I'm sure some water makes it but with a gap there's a chance that some will not. It couldn't hurt.

I cut the fog light cover at the same time that I installed the icebox so I can't verify the impact of the mod. But since one of the reasons we install an aftermarket intake is to improve the airflow then it stands to reason that improving the inlet improves the flow. Maybe someone that did the mod a time after their intake install can chime in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That makes sense. I was wrong though, I was under the impression that the winglets were solid..so my idea won't work. I just installed today and cut the backing of the foglight cover at the same time. I'm not too impressed with the icebox to be honest... I don't really feel a difference.. maybe I was just expecting more?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts