Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i understand the basic diffrence between the two being that the cold air feeds from lower in the engine bay closer to the ground and the short ram feeds from inside the engine bay itself.

is there a reason why somone would want/ not want cold air as opposed to short ram because im torn between the K&N, Aem (short ram), and the Injen cold air.

could somone plz. gimme the pros/cons of eatch,

thanks, TJ

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Well you answered part of your own question.
The SRI draws warmer air from the engine bay, while the CAI draws cooler air from outside. In doing so (the CAI) generates a few more ponies with the cooler air.
The draw back to the CAI is that if you live where it rains a lot, it is possible to (submerge the air filter in water) hydro-lock.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Rains alot as in a couple feet...and the filter is completely submerged in water...

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Rains alot as in a couple feet...and the filter is completely submerged in water...
"The draw back to the CAI is that if you live where it rains a lot, it is possible to (submerge the air filter in water) hydro-lock." :thumbsup:

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
11 Posts
have the K&N CAI, big fan of it, Honestly I got mine for 180 + shipping, the AEM short Ram is more expensive w/ less bang for your buck, defenutly would go w/ the cold air, wasnt to much of a B***h to install, and easy to take back into short ram mode in the winter, K&N also has a filter cover that helps protect against wanter and dirt

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
Joker said:
"The draw back to the CAI is that if you live where it rains a lot, it is possible to (submerge the air filter in water) hydro-lock." :thumbsup:
you have to actually submurge it in water for it to hydro-lock we are talking the whole cone usually unless there is a flood it wont happen.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Ray said:
you have to actually submurge it in water for it to hydro-lock we are talking the whole cone usually unless there is a flood it wont happen.
As I stated, but this is also not always the case. A deep puddle, hit with speed can also cause you to hydro-lock.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks alot,

i live in westchester county, NY so the only thing i gotta worry about like you guys said is acutally submerging the air filter.

wich brings me to my next point, is the K&N/ Ingen changable from CAI to SRI, meaning can u de-tach a part that would interchange them, in effect giving you the versitilaty of both?

and lets say hydro-lock occours, does that mean new engine, or just a new filter, and wut is the best way to protect against hydro lock considering youy go with the full CAI

thanks, TJ

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
K&N and Injen's CAI can interchange between SRI and CAI.
If you are concerned about hydrolocking, you can get a bypass valve...

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
scratch-n-sniff said:
jus an fyi,

just orderd K&N typhoon kit.

does this in any way void warranty?
I asked my dealer about adding an intake...they told me that if anything gets in the engine..or if they can blame it on the intake (not those exact words :D), they won't warranty that repair. But everything else is still good.

But you may want to ask your dealership just in case.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
hmm... think I will add a little comment on this intake thing.
I tried AEM SR, AEM CAI v.1, AEM CAI v.2, Ingen CAI on my accord.
Ingen CAI and AEM CAI v.2 had the better gain it seemed....
but the response on all CAI is definitely slowly than SR....

·
Shift_ Poor
64 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
I asked my dealer about adding an intake...they told me that if anything gets in the engine..or if they can blame it on the intake (not those exact words :D), they won't warranty that repair. But everything else is still good.

But you may want to ask your dealership just in case.
Yep not all dealers are created equal, but that is the norm. If the aftermarket part is any way invovled with the problem they will use that against you.

Also, hydrolock is possible. But more than likely you will be hearing "My best friends neighbors girlfriends guy friend drove in a puddle and seized his motor"

Cold air intake, better performing intake when compared to short ram. But usually is more work involved in the install and slightly more costly.

So ask yourself, you want to save the extra money and possible extra time/trouble on short ram. Or spend a little more, take a little more time and get something that is going to preform better and more than likely respond better with other mods and heat soak :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts