Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've never had this problem with my TSX until recently, it seems my car is starting to hate the really cold weather. It sometimes has a hard time turning over in the cold (my CR-V has a hard time turning over too).

I start my TSX and the RPM is hovering around 2,500-3,000 RPM....and I let it warm up for about 5 mins. After I start driving the "check engine" light comes on. I had this problem happen back in December when it was 14 degrees one morning, and I took it to the Acura dealer to fix it. Now the "check engine" light is back on again.

Someone told me to wait until the needle on the tach goes to about 1k RPM so the light doesn't come on. What is maybe causing this? Do I have to warm up my car longer than 5 mins?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
maybe time for you to get a block heater ? getting mine installed in 2 weeks

·
Registered
47 Posts
Do you change your own oil ? If so which oil/filter do you have ?

I've had a similar problem in the past with my Golf. When it got too cold a check engine light would come on. It turned out el-cheapo oil filter wasn't able to maintain the correct oil pressure. After that I started using VW oem filters (much more expensive) and the problems went away.

Only once I noticed my TSX had a problem turning the engine. That was on a very cold day after parking at work for the whole day (I have the luxury of parking in a garage at home :) )

By the way, the highest idle speed I noticed after starting was about 1800 rpm.
2500-3000 seems high, but then again, I park in a garage.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the Club sixspeed :wavey:

Joker - who has not had this problem *knocks on wood*

·
Mr. Dan
1,730 Posts
I have not experienced this problem thus far :knock on wood:
So i don't have a clue to your problem

However, idling for 5 mins is excessive, even if it is minus 20 C.... you are just wasting gas and your engine isn't warming any quicker.

The correct way of warming up the car is let it idle for about 30 sec, then drive SLOWLY, so that will allow the oil to circulate (and warming up) quicker, and also allow your transmission to warmup as well.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Agent_Chen said:
Someone told me to wait until the needle on the tach goes to about 1k RPM so the light doesn't come on. What is maybe causing this? Do I have to warm up my car longer than 5 mins?
That's pure BS, your car should be able to drive or take off from any RPM in any condition without having the CEL on. The best way to diagnoise what the CEL code indicates is to have an Acura or Honda dealer look at it, their PGM-FI device will tell exactly what is causing the CEL.

And yes, 5 minutes to warm-up on a road car is a bit excessive. The above remarks on basic warm-up is appropriate in most conditions.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I set up an appointment next Tuesday to bring in my TSX to the Acura dealer. I'll let you guys know what the problem is.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Joker said:
Hello, and welcome to the Club sixspeed :wavey:

Joker - who has not had this problem *knocks on wood*
Southern Cali weather helps. ;)

·
The Bay State
931 Posts
TSXDude said:
I have not experienced this problem thus far :knock on wood:
So i don't have a clue to your problem

However, idling for 5 mins is excessive, even if it is minus 20 C.... you are just wasting gas and your engine isn't warming any quicker.

The correct way of warming up the car is let it idle for about 30 sec, then drive SLOWLY, so that will allow the oil to circulate (and warming up) quicker, and also allow your transmission to warmup as well.
:sprint:

Welcome 6 speed!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Started my TSX this morning at 1 degree (-8 windchill) after not driving it for 2 days. It took a second longer to start than normal, but started fine. The thing I've noticed on cold days is that the LCD for the radio and audio does not light up right away. It takes a few seconds, then the numbers appear 1 at a time - It seems to happen below 10 or 15 degrees.

BTW, the owners manual (that book in the glove box that nobody reads) says there is no need to let you car sit on cold days after starting, instead, you should start driving right away. This will allow the car to warm up much quicker.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I can sure relate. My TSX definitely takes longer to start in the cold. At first I thought it was because I have a CAI (K&N) and maybe that changed computer setting on mixture,but from the sounds of it there are other having similar problem. I'm not worried avbout it. It just was surprising when it happened.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I almost forgot about this thread, and I took my TSX to the dealer last week and they looked at my car.....and they told me I had a bad O2 sensor in the car. It has been replaced and my car seems to be running just fine. Now the RPMs are lower, below 2,000....lets hope the check engine light doesn't come on again.

·
Registered
167 Posts
For better starts in Hondas/Acuras I've always found that it's best to let the fuel pump kick off before turning the key to the "start" position. Letting the fuel pump get primed and get the pressure up to spec allows it to start faster with less cranks on the starter.

As for the CEL, weird, hope the new O2 sensor helps

1 - 17 of 17 Posts