Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I would find someone else with a similar issue so I searched a little bit.
2011 170k - oil level is good.
Only on cold startup (like overnight) the engine noise is kind of loud like VERY loose valves in other cars.
This lasts for all of one second. I am not familiar with this engine at all, but I am guessing the valves need to be adjusted. Finding a bit more, seems like a possible bad VTC actuator?
Maybe this is a possibly timing chain / guides replacement, but it looks like the pressure is not oil pressure fed, it is stand-alone pressure.
TIA
Nick

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize this is the 2nd gen forum, but I've begun to have the exact same experience with my 07 TSX as of a couple of weeks ago. The rattling noise happens for about a second, and quickly goes away. I've noticed that it doesn't happen every time following a cold startup -- after resting overnight -- but it does most times, and seems more likely to do it after the outside temperature has gotten low enough.

I've found a couple of videos on Youtube, where people with other K24 engines have documented the identical brief rattle, and have indicated that it's a VTC actuator problem. Without cracking open the valve cover on my car just yet, I'm thinking it is likely the same thing.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's a VTC actuator failure. Most (including myself) don't bother replacing it because it's a faulty part from factory, and others have replaced it only for the noise to persist. As long as you keep your oil topped up (it may consume a bit, it's a known symptom), you'll be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's a VTC actuator failure. Most (including myself) don't bother replacing it because it's a faulty part from factory, and others have replaced it only for the noise to persist. As long as you keep your oil topped up (it may consume a bit, it's a known symptom), you'll be fine.
It does just seem like a noisy piece at startup. Thank you.
I do also seem to have a noisier than usual engine. I can hear “engine noises” on acceleration. Seems like loose valves or like a (plastic” chain guide is broken. I’ll probably take it to someone who knows how these engines are supposed to sound.
thanks again!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, can't comment much on that without a video. 170k miles without a valve adjustment would possibly make some noise but there's no definitely way of knowing without looking.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, can't comment much on that without a video. 170k miles without a valve adjustment would possibly make some noise but there's no definitely way of knowing without looking.
Exactly. It’s probably a combination of valve adjustment and VCT. Ugh. At least the trans was replaced 1k miles ago.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Valve adjustments are cheap. I got mine done myself in under 2 hours. They’re easy too if you feel up to doing it yourself. VTC actuator noise is just part of the car at this point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts