Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 20,000 mile service done at my dealership last week. The cost was about $160 including tax. Unfortunately, there are a few problems:

1. The steering wheel shakes as if it is going to literally detach itself from the steering column whenever the car goes above 70 mph OR whenever you apply heavy breaks at a high speed (i.e., a short off-ramp from the interstate). The dealer said that it was probably alignment. They aligned my car at the 20k service, but it is still doing it a week later.

2. The transmission seems to "hesitate" when it shifts. It used to be precisely on the dot, but passengers almost seem to lunge forward ahead of the vehicle for a brief microsecond before the car shifts. This does not happen when accelerating quickly.

3. Three times in the past month, when I have started going down a hill with a bit of a grade, the car downshifts from fifth gear into third, sending the car from somewhere arond 1800 rpms to 4300 rpms (that's where it went today). This, of course, makes it seem as though the engine is being revved and it creates a lunge feeling similar to that described above but for a longer period of time.

Any insights? Similar problems? Let me know!

-- 2004 Acura TSX Base Automatic
-- Satin Silver Metallic / Ebony Leather

·
Registered
64 Posts
Regarding the vibrating steering wheel, it could be worn tires or unevenly worn tires. 20,000 miles seems pretty early for new tires, though.

That's all I got.

·
Registered
162 Posts
1, Steering wheel shakes is not the alignment's problem! Most common reason is your wheels aren't balanced or you have tire problem (uneven wear or shifted line). A 4 wheel Balance is around 80 dollars in Toronto. :) Some rear cases you could find that bad brake rotor could cause shake.

2.For the tranny...I would sugguest you do trans flush...although I think it should be done around 50000kilos.

3.Downshift when you go down the hill is not a problem. Actually that's a shift logic program. It's using engine brake to help your brakes from overheating.

·
The Voice of Reason
1,481 Posts
acuradude said:
I just had my 20,000 mile service done at my dealership last week. The cost was about $160 including tax.
My 20,000 mile service should cost me about $20, plus $24 for a case of Mobil-1 synthetic at Costco, plus $6 for the Honda filter and aluminum crush washer, plus either a bag of bagels or a box of doughnuts for the guys at the garage.

I'd do it myself but I'm getting too old to crawl aroung under my car, and besides it's a pain to get rid of the old oil. For $20 the garage is warm and they have lifts, so it's well worth it to save the wear and tear on my back.

If you get a vibration that's NOT the ABS through the pedal when you brake hard, it's probably the rotors (and Honda rotors tend to warp) but at high speed without braking it's probably a wheel balance or worn suspension part. I don't know exactly what you're feeling because I haven't driven your car. I use an indy Porsche racing shop for wheel balance and alignment issues. Experience has taught me that the most dealer junior techs, the ones doing the simple oil change and routine stuff at most dealers just don't have any idea of what they're doing when it comes to alignments and wheel balancing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts