Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my wife a 06 TSX with an automatic transmission a few weeks ago and ive been driving it more than she has so far. My ride, a decently maintained stock 97 M3 that ive been driving for almost 10 years. if anyones ever been in a E36 M3 will tell you its a pretty harsh daily driver. Push the M3 to its limits and it will do things that will surprise and impress most people. With decent power coming from its smooth yet modest high revving engine and its uncompromising suspension its pretty much an all around winner in my book. Plus its rear wheel drive which is great for those special moments of power sliding out of a turn.

But ive been driving that car longer than most people can stand. its a pretty harsh, teeth chattering ride. If you driving it normally it can be an unpleasant ride. Feeling every bump on roads can get old when your tired or trying to relax home from work. Its great if you push it around a few times but ive done it for so long i dont bother to red line or toss it into a corner. So when i had the chance to test out My wifes TSX i took it out every chance i had.

First impressions is that its pretty plush. It was like a breath of fresh air. With its Light gray interior with its aluminum dash i knew I was in a car thats has that modern design. The sound system pretty much made me smile. Impressive all around sound, it pretty much made my cars stock speakers sound like its in a totally different league . Love the bass and midrange. Im not a sound junky but did enjoy turning the sound up to 30 on the TSX and was loving every minute. The automatic transmission was smooth as could be. Puttering around town it felt agile yet soft enough to feel cushy. the power was good enough to keep up with traffic. But i never came close to pushing it towards its limits untill a few days ago.

At work theres this kid who just finished up at some automotive school, UTI. His whole life is dedicated to 3 things:getting money,girls and Hondas. I told him i was shopping around for a TSX, he stated it was his favorite Honda. I tell him to check it out during lunch break. My parking lot is pretty sweet. Vast room to feel confident attacking corners and you can push the engine pretty nicely like you would at a local autocross. I would say it would be better equipped to handle the cars I took my car to my old local NY BMWCCA autocross. So he strapped himself into the passengers side and i took off like a bat out of hell. I put the automatic transmission and threw it into D2 and used it for most of the time.

First turn i took pretty smooth. Very little body roll, firm yet soft enough to made it a pretty clean quick event as i pushed the engine to redline as i entered my next 90 degree turn. I could tell i was in a lighter car with a smoother yet inspiring suspension as i powered out of the turn into a dip which i attack. with total confidence as i accelerated downhill as i came to the end of the track i made up in my head. I pushed it into 1st gear as i floored it to turn around. with not enough torque to produce and serious wheel spin it did a nice smooth job.

the TSX is a winner in my book as well. Daily driving i would take the TSX in a minute. Nice sound, smooth transmission, a firm yet forgiving suspension it would make a satisfyingly fun drive. It wont take down any serious car at a stop light but once its up to speed it would outhandle most normal everyday cars.

the final verdict is that i would take the TSX as my daily driver to replace my beloved M3. But there would be times where im lined up at a stop light against another i would wish i was in the M3 every time. If i had my way id drive the M3 only on fun weekends and for everything else id take the TSX.

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
Sounds nice, I guess it could get tiring driving the same car for ten+ years even if you love it so I understand the breath of fresh air feeling. Maybe you should start shopping around for yourself. Look for a 6MT, maybe you'll like it even more :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
id miss the power too much and to be honest id miss the bad ass feeling i get when tearing it up around town. The engine while capable to keep up with traffic, wont win many street light battles. even with the manual the numbers ive been seeing havent been impressive.

·
TarmacTSX
1,589 Posts
Keep em both, use the M on the weekends.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I burn people on a daily basis, maybe its the driver and the traffic. Mainly the driver. 2cents

·
Let me...help you!
1,335 Posts
If you save the races (street light battles) for the track, then you wouldn't miss the power that much. ;-)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
easier said than done :)
I get a lot of people trying to take me down. They see an older M3 and they want to see how their newer cars stack up. I rarely pass up that chance. not to say im a terror on the streets but i do love testing my car against all new comers. ive been taken down a few times but my car can still prove to be a decent stop light performer.

If you save the races (street light battles) for the track, then you wouldn't miss the power that much. ;-)

·
Registered
585 Posts
the final verdict is that i would take the TSX as my daily driver to replace my beloved M3. But there would be times where im lined up at a stop light against another i would wish i was in the M3 every time. If i had my way id drive the M3 only on fun weekends and for everything else id take the TSX.
Thanks for the review :)

Is the above a hypothetical statement, or are you really considering a replacement? I agree with the other posters; considering the sentimental value and the joy your M3 gives you, it's probably not worth it to sell or replace.

If you can afford it, have the parking space available, and most importantly, the OK from the wife, keep it as a weekend car and pick up a third vehicle.

At work theres this kid who just finished up at some automotive school, UTI. His whole life is dedicated to 3 things:getting money,girls and Hondas.
Sounds like a nice kid :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with the OP, the TSX is a great 4-door all round DD. Lots of fun maintaining speed and attacking backroads. I think it feels best (at least with the auto) in the mid rpms, i think despite the extra power up top near redline the car feels a little flat as the tq drops off.

My opinion might be worthless though, I have the C6 Z06 has my fun car so a back to back comparison isn't fair to the TSX ;) I do appreciate what the TSX bring to the table though in it's roominess and handling abilities.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
stuff that lS7(?) into that tsx and make it rwd and you would have the worlds most perfect mid compact sedan!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Maybe you should upgrade to the E46 M3 SMG, one of my friend had one and let me drive that breast. Luxury (smooth) & a Killer on the street!

·
-
1,560 Posts
stuff that lS7(?) into that tsx and make it rwd and you would have the worlds most perfect mid compact sedan!

I wasn't going to say anything since I'm no BMW expert but since you brought it up.

The E36 M3 is a very good car but the North American version got the very low performing 3.0/3.2L in-line 6 cylinder with very mild variable cam timing (VANO's). It was rated at 240HP or so while the Euro version was 300HP or so.
I'm sure the OP will correct me here. :)

Hence... BMW E36 E36 LS1 Swap - High Performance and Racing Parts - Vorshlag LLC

Pricey but bolt-in swap. Light, solid, excellent handling chassis. V8, manual trans, RWD.

Years ago a couple younger guys I worked with did some engine swaps on the basic older E30's. They yanked out the really lame 2.7L in-line 6 & swapped in a newer, more powerful 2.5L in line 6.
The parts were pricey but those cars were easy to work on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the E36 M3 S50/52 we got in the states is nothing but a worked over M50 2.5/ 2.8 liter engine found on 325/328's. we also get dicked out of the euro floating rotors. but over all its a great sleeper car sedan. enough power to power slide out of a curve and while having 4 passengers in there to enjoy the ride.

I wasn't going to say anything since I'm no BMW expert but since you brought it up.

The E36 M3 is a very good car but the North American version got the very low performing 3.0/3.2L in-line 6 cylinder with very mild variable cam timing (VANO's). It was rated at 240HP or so while the Euro version was 300HP or so.
I'm sure the OP will correct me here. :)

Hence... BMW E36 E36 LS1 Swap - High Performance and Racing Parts - Vorshlag LLC

Pricey but bolt-in swap. Light, solid, excellent handling chassis. V8, manual trans, RWD.

Years ago a couple younger guys I worked with did some engine swaps on the basic older E30's. They yanked out the really lame 2.7L in-line 6 & swapped in a newer, more powerful 2.5L in line 6.
The parts were pricey but those cars were easy to work on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts