Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm posting this story on all of the Acura sites I belong to.

This post is probably going to be pretty long so I will bold the key parts for those of you who don't care to read all of the details.
This Complaint about Hillside Acura. Located in Bay Shore, NY

I bought my TSX in April 2003 from Rallye Acura. I have had my car serviced by them from that time until June 2004. In June 04 I went with my uncle to buy his tsx. He wanted to buy it from Hillside Acura. While there we were talking to the manager and got to talking about how I have a tsx and don't have it serviced there because they only give loaners to customers who bought from them. So he tells me he will put me in the computer as a customer so I can get a loaner and will even give me a free oil change to try out their service dept. I thought this was really nice and it would be great that I could get a loaner from them since they are 5 miles from my house.

In July of 04 I made an appt to have a 30k mile service with Hillside Acura and to get a loaner car. I get there before 9am and start filling out the loaner car forms when the guy tells me he can't give me a loaner because I am under 25 and there insurance doesn't allow them go give loaners to people under 25. At this point I was getting annoyed because I always get one at Rallye Acura and I view not getting a loaner due to age as age discrimination. So I proceed to tell him that in NY you can't deny someone a rental if they are over 18. So he says ok, I will call enterprise and rent you a car. Enterprise came and picked me up and when they found out I was under 25 they told me "I'm sorry sir, we can't rent you a car today. We need 24 hours notice so that we can check your driving record before hand." Enterprise took my back to Hillside Acura. I told the guy I would wait for the service to be finished if he deducted the cost of what they would have had to pay off for a rental from my service. He said he couldn't do that, but when I said I would take my car to Rallye Acura where I would get my loaner he quickly changed his mind. So I wait around until 11:30am when they are done with my car. The advisor tells me he ordered a replacement leather cover for my drivers seat and it would be in soon (the leather wore to quickly). I take my keys and thank the service advisor for attempting to work with me to make the situation right. As I headed home I kept hearing funny noises coming from my engine. I went home looked under the hood went for another drive. I heard the noise again a few minutes later so I drove back to Hillside Acura. It was now 12:30pm and EVERYONE in the service dept was out for lunch until 1:30pm. So I took my car for a drive as I wait for them to return. During this drive I was able to pin point that the noise started when I kept the engine between 3000 and 3500rpms. 1:30pm rolls around and the service advisor returns from lunch and I explain the problem. He said that's impossible but would go for a ride with me. I showed him when I reached 3000rpms the noise started. He confirmed he certainly heard a problem and we returned to Hillside Acura where a service tech started looking at my car. An hour later at 2:30pm the advisor returns and tells me the previous tech who did my 30k service didn't properly tighten the bolts/screws that hold the cover to the engines air filter and it was rattling under the hood. I said fine and thanked him for correcting this and left.

At this point I am very annoyed but figured I was just having a bad day. Later that same day I look under my hood and notice a lot of antifreeze all over. The reserve tank was down to low. I am assuming someone at hillside didn't tighten it when they replaced the antifreeze as part of my 30k service. I cleaned up some of it but left it on the areas I couldn't reach like the fans.

2 weeks later I get a call from the parts dept at Hillside Acura and they tell me my part is in. I ask if I could wait a few weeks until I need an oil change and they tell me no problem.

6 weeks later I call up for an appt and was told the first appt was in 3 weeks. I make an appt and ask if I can drop off the car at 11am. I was told no because it would take a while to work on the seat so they need it there by 9am.

3 weeks later I go in for my appt. I drop the car off at 8:40am. At 2:30pm I get a call from lojack alerting me my car was moved (I have lojack with early warning and didn't give the dealer by key fob) I get another call around 3pm from Hillside Acura,they need to keep my car overnight. I asked why and was told they didn't get to finish my car. I said no I want my car back today I need it for tomorrow. I asked if they could work until they closed and the service advisor told me he would see what they could get done and would call me back later to tell me what they couldn't get done and when to pick it up. After the call I started to think back to when I called to make my appt and was told the car needs to be there before 9am. I started getting annoyed so I decided to drive over to Hillside Acura to discuss it with them.

When I got there i started discussing things with the advisor. He tells me they didn't have time to work on my seat. I asked what time they started working on the car. He replied he didn't know but it was after 10:30-11 because that was when it was dropped off. I told him it was here before 9am. He told me he didn't want to argue about it because he wasn't 100% sure when it came in. I asked how long they worked on the car. He again didn't have an answer. I told him I wasn't happy with this situation and that when an appt is made mainly for a seat replacement wouldn't that be the first thing you work on? I also explained to him that I wrote a note to the service advisor the car was dropped off with reminding him of my day of hell from the last time I had a service done there and that I hoped this service would be better. I explained that doesn't common sense tell you that when you piss a customer off one time you should make it a point not to piss them off a second time. He explained that people are on vacation and that people who wait for service take priority over drop offs. I said well just let me pay for this oil change and that I am never coming here again. He then listed every other Acura dealer in the area that I could go to if I wasn't happy with them. I paid and then left.

When I reached my car I decided this was complete BS. I spent 30k on a car. Where is my "Total Luxury Care" like it says on the window. So I call American Honda. I tell the guy my whole story and he says he will file a complaint. I tell him fine but I also want to talk to the district manager or a manager from the corporate office. He said I would get a call back within 48hrs.

Today I get a voice mail from a case mgr. at Honda. By the time I got back to her she left for the day so I will call her back tomorrow. Today I also went to Rallye Acura to have them order me a new leather cover for my seat. Later, I open my trunk and here the hinge scraping against something in the trunk. I look and notice that Hillside Acura some clips that hold on the trunk lining and it is just hanging off. The service tech from hillside was in the trunk performing the recall work that involved the tail lights and rear wire harness.

Now I am even more pissed. I bought a car from Hondas "luxury" division If I wanted to get jerked around by a dealer and have them cause even more problems to my car I would have bought a damn KIA.

Well, that is the end of my story for now. I don't recommend this dealer. If I am unsuccessful with my complaints to America Honda I will move on to the BBB and anyone else who will listen.

Any suggestions on who to complain to and how?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
OK I have entered Hillside Acura into my list of dealers to stay away from.
Along with Devan Acura, Norwalk, CT

So you going back to Rallye , huh ?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I already went there yesterday (2 days after I left hillside). They are ordering me a new leather seat cover and a heated seat button. Now I just need to ask them if they can fix my trunk lining.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I just got a call from a case manager at American Honda. She documented the complaint and spoke with the service manager at Hillside Acura. All he said was he confirmed he spoke with me and that I said I would never set foot in there dealership again. She is going to call Rallye Acura to make sure when I go in for my service that everything is perfect and see if there is anything she can do for me...

She is calling me back next week after my parts come in.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Looks like you might get some meaningful response and result -- which doesn't mean total confession and rolling heads, of course. As these things go, JUST ABOUT ANYTHING AT ALL will be a meaningful response and result, however partial it might be. And it won't change the fact that they sucked, and I doubt it will make them suck less in the future. But hopefully you'll be able to take at least a little amount of satisfaction from it.

It won't change the fact that Acura's approach to customers, not only in the service departments but also at the dealers, is far from uniformly good; in fact, we've heard all too many stories of how it sucks. My own experience in Acura service has been very good; not as perfect lately as I might have liked (I thought it was in the past), but real good. I've had very good buying experiences twice out of the three places where I've bought from, including at my current dealer.

But taking all the reports into account, the overall situation just isn't up to the level that one would expect of a "luxury" brand. If Acura wants to truly rise to the top in the public's eye, it has work to do. And it would seem that it has to come from above -- like American Honda. Dealers and service departments have to have it made known to them that there are standards they must follow if they are to be allowed to keep being Acura.

That's not asking too much, is it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Larch - As I mention in the past I have had my car serviced by Rallye Acura who has been great. They always give me a loaner and do this right the first time. But, they are 50 minutes away from me and probably one of the most expensive acura dealers (they have a rallye maybach dealer nextdoor). But I guess you get what you pay for. I want good quality service so I guess I will be driving 50 mins and paying their prices to get my car serviced correctly.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
That's just it -- it varies so much from one Acura place to another. That's been my own experience, and that's what we gather from these sites. I suspect that the bad experiences are somewhat overrepresented in what we see on these sites, because people are less motivated to post about positive things. But however you slice it, the negative experiences are far too many. And yes indeed, it varies according to the particular place.

And that's where you'd think the corporate headquarters might want to take more of an interest in this, because the rotten apples are holding back the whole barrel.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
Larch, where you got your TSX and where you taking it for service ?

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
The advisor tells me he ordered a replacement leather cover for my drivers seat and it would be in soon (the leather wore to quickly).
Briny I am curious about this.
I'd love to get something like this done down the road.
So this makes your seat(s) look brand-new huh ?

More detail about this plz - what was so bad about your seat cover ? Just driver seat or more ?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,352 Posts
Thanks for the heads up for the NY people.

For the record my Acura buying experience was excellent and I got very good service for my recent 1st oil change. So, I have nothing but positive things to say so far. BTW, that's Baranco Acura in Morrow, GA.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
I to have nothing but good things to say about MacChurchill Acura in Ftw

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
My service experience with several Acura dealers have been subpar to down right terrible! McGrath Acura of Morton Grove, Woodfield Acura, and Frank Leta Acura in St. Louis both are terrible. Frank Leta Acura scratched my car's passenger side mirror driving into the service area to get my TSX an oil change. I even saw this happen! They said it wasn't their fault.

I filed a complaint with them. A week later they sent me a letter of apology, a box of cookies, and a voucher for free maintenance/service....but I will not be going to them again.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
5,757 Posts
I say contact the BBB, though I don't know if they can do much. If American Honda documented the conversation, request them forward to the BBB, they may need some proof/reasons for the complaint. As for Enterprise, I don't understand how they want to see driving records and such. I never had problems getting a car from them and I am only 23. It may be just that location.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
robert_tsxgeek said:

More detail about this plz - what was so bad about your seat cover ? Just driver seat or more ?
I haven't actually seen it BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE TIME TO INSTALL IT!!!! But a friend of mine who is a honda tech tells me the seat itself w/ the power motor is seperate from the leather part.So they are just replacing the leather part. I believe the cost to buy it would be a few hundred.

My problem with it was the vinyl part that you go over as you go in and out is exteremly worn. As if the car was 5+yrs old. My car might have a lot of miles but those are from road trips not from getting in and out hundreds of times. It started looking worn last yr when I reached 15k but now at 37k its extremely worn. I was told by Rallye Acura it technically isn't covered under warranty because it is a wear item. But that honda does cover it under warranty once...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
robert_tsxgeek said:

It was just the drivers seat. The passanger seat is worn but not that bad. Yes it will make it look brand new.

How does your seat look.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
robert_tsxgeek said:
Larch, where you got your TSX and where you taking it for service ?
Acura of Westchester, which is located (where else) :D in Larchmont.

My experience there has been very good.

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
briny319 said:
--snip--My problem with it was the vinyl part that you go over as you go in and out is exteremly worn. As if the car was 5+yrs old. My car might have a lot of miles but those are from road trips not from getting in and out hundreds of times. It started looking worn last yr when I reached 15k but now at 37k its extremely worn. I was told by Rallye Acura it technically isn't covered under warranty because it is a wear item. But that honda does cover it under warranty once...
Xactly. you see you were actually lucky that the dealer offered to replace that.
At 37K...regardless of HOW you drive the car...it is quite used.
If there is one interior area that shows a cars wear & usage it's that area (called side-bolster) of the seat (pretty sure it's actually leather).

it's definitely "a wear item".
I seriously wonder how Hillside was gonna get reimbursed for doing that job.

GM of my dealer told me this: "Honda is VERY strict, VERY precise on what dealer can do & get reimbursed for warranty works"

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
robert_tsxgeek said:
Xactly. you see you were actually lucky that the dealer offered to replace that.
At 37K...regardless of HOW you drive the car...it is quite used.
If there is one interior area that shows a cars wear & usage it's that area (called side-bolster) of the seat (pretty sure it's actually leather).

it's definitely "a wear item".
I seriously wonder how Hillside was gonna get reimbursed for doing that job.

GM of my dealer told me this: "Honda is VERY strict, VERY precise on what dealer can do & get reimbursed for warranty works"
They way I look at it is I was lucky that American Honda offered to replace the leather. The dealer needs approval from honda before doing warranty work. Now if Hillside had said Honda won't replace it I would take it up with Honda. But the issue wasn't what they were replacing it was the poor service in general.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I don't think the Honda dealers here in Australia are that bad, but I am sure there are still dodgy ones around. My dealer is ok, I mean my service woman seems to be ok and is nice enough, although I have noticed a problem with my tint which I will be getting adressed at my 10,000k service. It appears there is a fine scratch appearing on my driver and passenger side windows on the inside which I noticed after having the front windows down and putting them back up! The scratch is getting worse and goes down the full length of the windows like something is scraping against the tint when the window is lowered and raised! Anyone have any idea what could be causing the scratch? I raised this issue at the 1K service and my dealer tried telling me that it is join mark in the tint... I mean what a load of BS, for starters the scratch is getting worse and it has actually seperated into 2 scratches, so either the seam is moving or there is something on the door trim which is scratching my tint on my windows! I am thinking that they just didn't want to fork out the $'s to retint the front windows, and if they don't find the cause then it will just do it again anyhow !

·
whatever
4,377 Posts
briny319 said:
--snip--
Now if Hillside had said Honda won't replace it I would take it up with Honda. But the issue wasn't what they were replacing it was the poor service in general.
Woa, man I think you're really pushing it.
It sounds to me it's like you're bitching to a shoe maker company
after wearing the shoes for a year about the deep creases in the middle of the shoe top. or complaining to tire makers about threads wearing thin.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts