Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally gathered all my parts for my transmission refresh which include; DC5-R flywheel, Clutchmasters fx200 clutch, 5.06 final drive and Quaife LSD.
My friend is going to be installing this for me in about a week and I was wondering if there is anything I/he should know before starting.
I was also considering getting a carbon synchro set and rebuild kit because my car has 119k miles.

·
Registered
264 Posts
This is nice DIY and installation guide.

Also, you may want to check your clearances, especially on the differential backlash if you install a new final drive. Check also you shaft clearances or your transmission will whine accelerating or decelerating.

Shop Manual*(HONDA MOTOR Co.,Ltd.by Coxio)

Here is what you can follow for this work. You need to use Internet Explorer.

J~

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the links and tips! My friend will definitely measure all tolerances but unfortunately the shims are special order at the dealership so no returns. Guess we will have to measure then overnight ship the shims.

Regarding the shims, assuming I get the right sizes, how many different ones will I need for this project? For example, I know I need one for the LSD but I'm pretty sure I read that a couple more are required.

What would you recommend for purchasing a rebuild kit with syncros, gaskets, seals and bearings (OEM preferrably)? Also do I need additional bearings for the LSD? If so, should I just look them up and order from the dealership?

Thanks for the help guys, I usually do my own work on my car but this drivetrain stuff is overwhelming...

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Thank you for the links and tips! My friend will definitely measure all tolerances but unfortunately the shims are special order at the dealership so no returns. Guess we will have to measure then overnight ship the shims.

Regarding the shims, assuming I get the right sizes, how many different ones will I need for this project? For example, I know I need one for the LSD but I'm pretty sure I read that a couple more are required.

What would you recommend for purchasing a rebuild kit with syncros, gaskets, seals and bearings (OEM preferrably)? Also do I need additional bearings for the LSD? If so, should I just look them up and order from the dealership?

Thanks for the help guys, I usually do my own work on my car but this drivetrain stuff is overwhelming...
If this is not a built race car and makes less than 350whp OEM everything lol, you could even run a SI LSD if you wanted. My favorite LSD is mFactory. But thats personal preferance.

Yes order new bearings, there cheap and not worth it if it happens to fail.

Autofair Honda - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Autofair honda will hook up you PM on of those guys and they will get you EVERYthing you need for a killer price.
and of course all OEM

·
Registered
325 Posts
Can I ask what made you want to use the 5.06 CTR FD? It's great for K20's who can rev out and have lower torque, but its generally discouraged for the K24s.

What mods are running? Even if stock, you're just going to increase wheel hop/spin in first. Gear speeds are going to be lower throughout as I'm assuming you're still limited to the 7400-7600 range, although not by much.

To each is own, and its you're car, do as you wish! Just unsure why anyone with a DD TSX would want that high of a FD with the original 3.266 1st. IMO, you'd been better off keeping the 4.764 FD and changing your 2-5 for something shorter, and possibly even swapping out the 3.266 1st for the EP3 Si 3.062 - as our engines have the torque to compensate for the taller gearing. NTM the EP3 3.0 first would reduce wheel spin and help you have a closer 1-2 shift ratio.

5.06 FD with TSX gearing is awesome, but primarily in a higher-RPM, lower torque setups.

Personally my ideal trans is:

1 - 3.062 (EP3 Si Mainshaft)
2 - 2.13 (Any-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
3 - 1.517 (Any-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
4 - 1.147 (07+ CTR/Euro-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
5 - 0.921 (07+ CTR/Euro-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
6 - 0.659 (04-08 TSX)
4.764 FD (Stock)
LSD

Either way, congrats on your upgrades!!! Currently doing the above, but no EP3 mainshaft :( Let us know how you like your mods! :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya Autofair hooks it up. I just pm'd them, thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the FD for a few reasons; I like acceleration, I'm only planning on going medium NA (asp header, flashpro, rrc, oem cams), track days and I am opening up the trans anyway.

I only have suspension and brake mods so far so 1st gear issues were not really a concern. Didn't really see any big downsides so I picked it up.

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
Personally my ideal trans is:

1 - 3.062 (EP3 Si Mainshaft)
2 - 2.13 (Any-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)

3 - 1.517 (Any-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
4 - 1.147 (07+ CTR/Euro-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
5 - 0.921 (07+ CTR/Euro-R/RSX-S/06+ Si)
6 - 0.659 (04-08 TSX)
4.764 FD (Stock)
LSD

Either way, congrats on your upgrades!!! Currently doing the above, but no EP3 mainshaft :( Let us know how you like your mods! :)

Pretty sure that is not possible, All k series mainshafts contain 1st and 2nd gear. So you cannot swap them unless you go with a custom trans built by another company with custom gear ratios.

EDIT: Cant find where I read that, so not sure if its true or not thats pretty much the only thing I have not taken apart yet :/

·
Registered
325 Posts
Again if you want to run the 5.06 FD by all means do! Just realize its not going to help your acceleration through first at all, its going to hurt it, especially if you're modded/are going to mod further. As far as the rest of the gears it will help, but again very little, you would have improved your acceleration more by swapping out the gears and not the FD. Then again, you may not have access to alternate gears either. But hell, saying you have a 5.06 FD in a TSX is BALLER! :festive:

Just for kicks.

TSX 1-6 w/ 4.764 FD (Stock trans)

TSX 1-6 w/ 5.06 FD (Your trans)

06+ Si gearing into TSX Case w/ 4.764 FD [Euro-R + TSX 6th] (My trans)

Again if its what you want then I hope you do it :) Anyone seen the Gear-X 6.88 FD for K-Series??? Insane....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Pretty sure that is not possible, All k series mainshafts contain 1st and 2nd gear. So you cannot swap them unless you go with a custom trans built by another company with custom gear ratios.

EDIT: Cant find where I read that, so not sure if its true or not thats pretty much the only thing I have not taken apart yet :/
You're absolutely right, i forgot about that. I've been in too many different makes' trans lately :( Its a shame, that 1-2 would be amazing. You'd have to have a custom mainshaft made to accommodate whatever OEM 2nd ratio you wanted, everything else should be fine. Sad day....way to ruin my hopes and dreams Tottenham :'(

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
You're absolutely right, i forgot about that. I've been in too many different makes' trans lately :( Its a shame, that 1-2 would be amazing. You'd have to have a custom mainshaft made to accommodate whatever OEM 2nd ratio you wanted, everything else should be fine. Sad day....way to ruin my hopes and dreams Tottenham :'(
lmao, call mfactory ;) There gonna build my trans, probably running straight cut gears though.

But yes that would be a very nice line up. All in all the drag guys call the TSX 1-2 the god of all the gears, 2nd gear is perfect for launching on high hp motors. (besides the fact that the gear is really really weak lol)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.