Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i need help from you fellas that pulled out your lower control arms already. I'm having trouble loosening the bolt that actually goes through the compliance bushing. it turns but stops at a certain point as if the bushing is melted on to the bolt. as i tug on it more, i can see the bushing just cracking more and more, but still haven't been able to spin completely yet. i feel stupid because this is supposed to be the easy part considering i already have a press.

can anyone offer me some advice on what the hell i should do?

also, when you guys did your bushings, did you swap out the stabilizer links and balls joints as well?

thanks

if anyone wants to help me pull these out for some extra cash in the central nj area, you can pm. thanks again guys

· Registered
312 Posts
hey guys, i need help from you fellas that pulled out your lower control arms already. I'm having trouble loosening the bolt that actually goes through the compliance bushing. it turns but stops at a certain point as if the bushing is melted on to the bolt. as i tug on it more, i can see the bushing just cracking more and more, but still haven't been able to spin completely yet. i feel stupid because this is supposed to be the easy part considering i already have a press.

can anyone offer me some advice on what the hell i should do?

also, when you guys did your bushings, did you swap out the stabilizer links and balls joints as well?

thanks

if anyone wants to help me pull these out for some extra cash in the central nj area, you can pm. thanks again guys
I'm extremely sorry that you have to deal with this too. The bolt has fused with the inner metal sleeve of your compliance bushing!

you have three options:

1. Heat. ALOT of heat, excuse my language but melt the **** out of the sleeve. I used this method and cooked the mother with 2 torches and working the bolt back and forth for a couple of hours until FINALLY it broke free.

2. Cut the bolt off on top and under the sleeve so the bushing can slide out. I couldn't wedge any cutting instrument in between thats why i didn't go this route and i don't know how well it will work...

3. Bring it to a local garage and let them deal with it lol

Good luck I know what you're feeling right now :squint:

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok fellas, got em out. i came up with a pretty good system without using a torch or any weird things. i'll list em step by step. I wish i took pictures, but here we go.

1) remove the ball joint castle nut, and break the ball joint. I just used my ball joint fork and a hammer.

2) remove the strut bolt located right by the ball joint. slide the strut bracket out of the way when your done so you can access the sway bar links easily. You'll need to stick an allen key in the sway bar link so u can turn the bolt without spinning the whole thing.

3) detach sway bar link

4) loosen rear inner bushing bolt

5) now for the last bolt, the actual compliance bolt, get up and walk around until you muster the mental energy to attack it. my bolt was fused to the inside of the bushing, so things got real exciting. i put vise grips on the bushing so when i turned the bolt. the vise grips would push against the subframe, preventing the bushing from spinning and causing resistance. i threw a nice long piece of pipe at the end of my breaker bar, and put on some diapers incase i shat myself pulling too hard. i put one leg on the control arm, one on the ground, and used my legs together to pull that sucker free.

5) wiggle the control arm out

6) crack open a beer

· Registered
312 Posts
good job glad you got it out without too much headache!

Just for a second opinion, I did try that vice grip method but to no avail, it kept slipping off and after a few tries the vice grips had no more grip on the metal sleeve since it was all mashed up at this point.

Once my bolt came out you should've seen what it looked like, it was actually thinner all the way around and had divets all over where it ran through the bushing sleeve.. it some of the bolt was still attached to the inner sleeve lol I guess it depends how fused it is whether or not the vice grip method would work..

But do definitely try the vice grip method first ( as i did as well) before bringing out the grinders and torches!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.