Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Going for broke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I realize this is a basic question but I couldn't find the answer after 30+ pages of searching.

I'm planning to compression test my engine and wanted to know if there's a simple way to disable the fuel injectors. I have an Alldata DIY subscription and it says to use the HDS to turn the injectors off. Obviously I don't have an HDS (yet) and I wasn't sure if I could simply pull a relay or even just unplug the injectors.

·
-
1,560 Posts
I'm due for a compression test on our TSX & have thought a little about it.

To crank the engine with fuel & spark disabled, I was going to use a dummy key I had made for our TSX. It's a copy of the chip key with no chip. It opens the doors & cranks the engine but the engine will not start.
While cranking, you want to keep the accelerator pedal to the floor to keep the throttle body open so there is no vacuum to throw off the readings.

Other options would be to jumper the starter with a remote start test switch. Or to pull the fuel pump fuse or relay.
In either case, you still have to make sure the TB is open while cranking.

1. Pull all the coil packs & all the spark plugs.
2. Screw compression tester into sparkplug hole one at a time.
3. Crank the engine for about 20-30seconds until the reading maxes out. Repeat for all 4 cylinders.

·
Going for broke
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, those are both good places to start. I like the idea of a blank key with no chip, I had totally forgotten about that little chip (I'm sure I would have remembered when buying a new remote start...)

Edit: After a bit more searching on Alldata, I found the FI Relays in the passenger compartment fuse box. I'll probably just pull the relays and get on with the compression test. Thanks again for the help guys!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Sorry to bring back from the dead, but I didn't want to start another thread.

SO If I pull that fuel relay, I can jsut pull all the coil packs and plugs and do the compression test w/o worrying about fuel or spark?

Should I pull all the plugs at once or do it one at a time.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sorry to bring back from the dead, but I didn't want to start another thread.

SO If I pull that fuel relay, I can jsut pull all the coil packs and plugs and do the compression test w/o worrying about fuel or spark?

Should I pull all the plugs at once or do it one at a time.
Pull the fuel relay, and the you can disconnect the coils from the plug. They won't fire unless they are grounded.

Rule of thumb for a dry compression test is to let the car crank for 5 times in a row. Then the number you get is the final compression for that cylinder. The number of cranks can be different for the tsx.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts