Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had an icebox sitting in the trunk of my car now for months, I'm still debating on what filter to use.

I'm not a fan of the K&N filter becuase of the oil it uses. I had one before and i'm just not sold out on it.I was thinking about running the icebox with the OEM filter, is anyone doing this? I might get the Spoon filter, but I still can't get over the price.

What are you guys running with your CT Iceboxes?

·
hangry
104 Posts
k&n for me

i got my icebox used without a filter so i just reused the k&n i bought when i first initially replaced my air filter

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
I used the CT filter but for some reason it didn't fit well. So I switched to K&N and it drops in with perfect fit. Other than that I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
can any of you guys running the K&N filter confirm that oil does not seep through the filter into the intake tube?

I would imagine that the oil would be visible on the walls of the tube after prolonged use of the K&N, if there were any oil to seep through to begin with.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I used the CT filter but for some reason it didn't fit well. So I switched to K&N and it drops in with perfect fit. Other than that I couldn't tell the difference between the two.
What? you sure? I've always thought the K&N with Icebox need some custom fitting/filling 'cause ice-box is bigger then OE box.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ha, google and you'll see a thread similar to this in the other azine forum and heeltoe marcus answered there as well. :)

·
Premium Member
8,413 Posts
K&n

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts
sorry to thread jack..how often do you guys clean the K&N filter? is it a pain to clean them?
Every other oil change. The part that takes long is letting it dry properly before putting on the oil and putting it back.

I'm using the K&N because I don't trust the foam on the CT filter. I can see it getting old then small pieces breaking off and going into the intake.:donno: Maybe I'm just paranoid.

·
, Chief SuperModerator, Info Center / Car Care & D
5,036 Posts
What? you sure? I've always thought the K&N with Icebox need some custom fitting/filling 'cause ice-box is bigger then OE box.
It's actually been a common problem and it's hardly consistent. Some people said that the K&N doesn't fit for them but the CT one fits perfectly, and vice versa. I'm still not sure on what the problem is.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's actually been a common problem and it's hardly consistent. Some people said that the K&N doesn't fit for them but the CT one fits perfectly, and vice versa. I'm still not sure on what the problem is.
I think it might be the mold of the CT Icebox itself. If you take a look at the lip where the top of the filter sits, it's not 100% perfect. Differences in molding could affect K&N fitment.

Thanks for the info guys!

Like I said before, I don't really want to run a K&N filter because of the oil (it's a long term engine concern for me). What I might do is buy a K&N and just use it as if it were disposable. I don't drive my car much anyway :)

I'm going to try to see how the OEM filter fits with the Icebox lid for those like me who would rather not run an oiled filter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I think it might be the mold of the CT Icebox itself. If you take a look at the lip where the top of the filter sits, it's not 100% perfect. Differences in molding could affect K&N fitment.

Thanks for the info guys!

Like I said before, I don't really want to run a K&N filter because of the oil (it's a long term engine concern for me). What I might do is buy a K&N and just use it as if it were disposable. I don't drive my car much anyway :)

I'm going to try to see how the OEM filter fits with the Icebox lid for those like me who would rather not run an oiled filter.
Just make sure you do not soak the foam in oil, it is a light mist, and you let it sit for 10 min or so to soak in. Unless you oil it incorrectly there is no long term concerns. K&N has sold these for quite some time. If the concept was damaging to your engine, they would not be selling them. Just follow the directions. And why would you throw away a $40 air filter? The point is to re-use it. Get the $10 recharge kit and clean it every year if you do not drive much.

·
Jeff
902 Posts
Just make sure you do not soak the foam in oil, it is a light mist, and you let it sit for 10 min or so to soak in. Unless you oil it incorrectly there is no long term concerns. K&N has sold these for quite some time. If the concept was damaging to your engine, they would not be selling them. Just follow the directions. And why would you throw away a $40 air filter? The point is to re-use it. Get the $10 recharge kit and clean it every year if you do not drive much.
i was plannin on getting a k&n filter, but i read some threads sayin that more stuff like silicon gets thru the cotton than oem paper, causing more damage to the engine in the long run? OEM paper filtering> k&n filtering or is that a myth

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have the recharge kit already, and like I said I had a K&N for a little bit when I first bought my TSX. I really just don't like the idea of an oiled filter, especially ones that have "increased flow". Increased flow means letting in more particles, correct?

That's why I would rather use a Spoon filter that has a similar design to OEM.

Just realized that is what kewlliljethro posted about. That's why I was asking if anyone has ever checked their intake tube to see what the long term effects of running a K&N filter were.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts