Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i wanted to get rid of that useless restrictive resonator that our cars had and i wanted a design just like the comptech airbox but since my car is a lease i really didnt want to spend as much money as possible but i wanted the same results as the comptech. also i wanted to make the car unmodified as possible.

first thing i went to my local pep boys store i found a $10 45 degree 3 in elbow and a$20 3 in velocity stack just as the comptech airbox. i bought a k&n filter $45

i removed the bumper and resonator and i will let the pictures keep talking:

as far as performance goes, it feels much better than before nothing crazy though but makes the car more responsive specially on the low rpms. the sound is very nice though not loud at all just perfect.
i bought the pieces chrome because they didnt had black but hey it will be covered by the bumper so u cant see it anyways.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
well technically if you add a bigger air box you should see even more gains.. i see that as taking out the resonator and making a funnel to get cold air..

Somehow get a bigger airbox and you should see even more gains!

·
Sicilian Cracker
113 Posts
Just out of curiosity are you going to be putting some kind of filter over the end of that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you make a bracket of some sort? I don't see it in the picture, but I'm curious what keeps the velocity stack and elbow from rattling against the sheet metal.
Looks good - think I'll go to pepboys tonight!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Very nice, I did a similar thing with my brothers Honda Accord, using my OEM Airbox and some other things... one question though is did you also Debaffle the stock airbox when you dropped in the filter? If you didnt I'd recomend it, youll get even better gains, pretty close actually to my K&N CAI in terms of performance.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
Very nice, I did a similar thing with my brothers Honda Accord, using my OEM Airbox and some other things... one question though is did you also Debaffle the stock airbox when you dropped in the filter? If you didnt I'd recomend it, youll get even better gains, pretty close actually to my K&N CAI in terms of performance.
:sprint:

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts

This mod looks very interesting. I have a couple of questions.

Is this a picture the tube at the bottom of the OEM air filter box?
Does the resonator come off cleanly or did you have to cut it off?
Why did you change to a K&N filter? Is it that much better than the OEM filter?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Age said:
Is this a picture the tube at the bottom of the OEM air filter box?
The rubber tube he uses as a 90* Elbow is part of what connects the resonator to the OEM Airbox.

Age said:
Does the resonator come off cleanly or did you have to cut it off?
Resonator comes off cleanly and fairly easily... Look up the DIY I wrote up on how to Install a Cold Air Intake, it covers Resonator Removal.

Age said:
Why did you change to a K&N filter? Is it that much better than the OEM filter?
The K&N Filter is a better designed, longer lasting and better flowing airfilter then the paper airfilter orginally placed in there by honda. K&N's Filters are designed with overall performance (meaning both Speed and Economy) in mind. Where as The original air filter is designed with price in mind, Hondas making tens of thousands of k24 engines a year (Accord Euro, Inspire, USDM Accord, TSX, Element) which all share the same filter, its made to be as cheap as possible and easy to replace.

Spoon also makes a great drop-in filter that Id recomend, which little more Performance oriented then the K&N, a little pricer as well.

Also if your going to do this id recomend "Debaffiling" the OEM airbox as i mentioned above, it will really make one hell of a difference. What Debaffiling is, would be sanding down the "Checkerboard" like pattern inside the lids of the OEM airbox, the Checkerboard has the effect of making air flow more chaotic and reducing performance.

Reactions: zhieson and Age

·
What to put here?
1,990 Posts
Thanks for the reply Memphis.

I read somewhere in here that the Comptech icebox is relatively quiet. So my guess is that debaffling the OEM air box will not make a big difference in sound compared to leaving it as is. Does this sound right?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Well its absolutly nothing when compared to a CAI in noise levels, though it is somewhat louder under load (read: when revved higher and the car is moving), but overall its not that much louder then stock, sounds really good in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did this for myself yesterday afternoon. Already had the K&N so just removed the resonator and added the PepBoys pieces. Generally I am pleased. Pretty sure I can feel the response - seems just a bit more "on". I Have to say that there is a reason AEM, Comptech and others are $150 + I am sure the tubing is high quality. Probably mandrel bent too to maintain ID and thus nice air flow. For $35 the pepBoy pieces are MARGINAL. Chrome PLASTIC, very thin wall thickness, and although it looks smooth on the outside the 45 angle is quite sharp and distinct on the inside. When I opened the packages and saw what I bought I almost did not continue. Did not really trust the plastic clamp provided so I added a bead of silicone sealant to the slip joint.
Also - Totoally my fault as I did not use my head - the stainless clamps WRUSSI uses are not there already you have to buy them also. Had to wait for the wife to return home to run down to the hardware store!
As for sound? Well I really have to say it is very difficult to hear the difference. Not at all like a friends short ram I tried on the TSX for a day. That was raspy and boomy and not a consitant sound throughout the rev range. This is mellow, consitant, and very much the same as with the resonator.
If I had not seen the resonator with my own eyes I would have questioned whether I accomplished anything - but looking at that octapus I know I have made it easier for air to get into the engine.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who already has an OEM style K&N. This is the next step - relatively easy and definitely cheap.

·
Bork Bork Bork
3,317 Posts
Only a dyno will tell for sure. But heresay tells me that you shouldn't lose that much power if any. The comptech airbox, which is similar keeps most your low end torque (which is very practical). I'm only assuming this would too. Someone also mentioned they felt more response in the low end.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This mod is highly recommended,I did it over the weekend.
The car is very responsive,there's a big gain on the low end range.
It pulls hard through every gear.
Its sounds great too,not loud but perfect.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
2,851 Posts
Hmm I want to bump this up!

I just got me a K&N filter right. And it's kind of noticeable in terms of "oomph." But thats not enough. I was thinking of de-baffling it today. I'm going to get to borrow a dremel from school later and then try it out at home. Then maybe next month I'm going to remove the res-box.

Any tips of de-baffling it?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Well, removing the resonator will give you more results then just debaffiling it... I'd do that first

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.