Acura TSX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've managed to breeze through the trim without any issues or breaking, and I've finally figure out how to get the shifter mechanism out. The right cable is held to the shifter mechanism with a plastic retainer, which needs to be rotated 90 degrees to pop it out. The center cable is held in place by a metal clip, which needs to be pried up from the bottom. You cannot pull it up from the top-at least I couldn't.

I am currently waiting for the loctite to dry, and I will go pop everything back together and go for a midnight run to test it out. I also am installing the aluminum shifter bushings while I'm at it.

I will post some pics tomorrow if there is any interest.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
I'm interested. Post pics please, thanks!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got back from my test drive.

It's everything I expected it to be. The shifts are much crisper, and a fair amount shorter. It really clicks through the gears now.

I can't say how exactly much the bushings helped. I figured while I have it apart, might as well do it. It was only $20.00 and about an extra 2 minutes to do the bushings.

If you've already done the S/S, I would say give it a whirl anyway. You already know how the console comes apart, and since the car was already apart, it will much easier than the first time. You don't have to deal with any of the shifter mechanicals- I could probably do it in 20 minutes now that I've done one.

Everyone that has done this job seems to get hung up on something different. For some, the panel around the shifter is hard, or the upper storage compartment. Some have had trouble with the clip that holds the shifter ball to the cable. For me, it was the big clip that holds the cable to the shifter mechanism, and the plastic retainer that holds the right cable.

You can see them both in this pic from xizor:

The trick is to pry the hell out of the metal clip from the bottom. Even when it was half way up, I could not pull it off. I had to pry almost all the way. Getting it back on proved much easier than I thought. I was able to push it 1/2 down, and the bang it down with my trusty prybar and hammer. The plastic clip is very easy; just turn it 90 degrees and it pops right out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That blasted metal clip did my head in :mad: Easily took the most time during the install. Otherwise it went ok but I'm now interested in the metal bushing idea. Have you got any specific sizes. I take it they're made out of aluminium.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, here goes.........

Shifter is AWESOME! Now that I've spent a day behind the wheel, I'm in love with it all over again. It has very close to the throw of my S2000, and also clicks more positively than before, also like the S2K......

I find that by extending the top of the storage bin, I can rest my whole arm there and just shift with a couple of fingers-the throw is that short.

It has not introduced any odd behavior into the tranny, no grinds or other issues.

The install is not difficult, once you have done it. I could do another one in 1/2 hour easy. But as it was my first time through, there were a few issues. Here is what I think will help someone who hasn't done it before.

First, start with the Comptech directions; the Neuspeed directions have you leave the shifter in the car, but I can't imagine how hard it would be to get the plastic socket off the bottom of the shifter while it's still in the car.

So anyway, on with the steps.

1.) Remove the shift knob. Put some tape or a cloth on the locknut to keep from scratching it.

2.)Pull up center console panel. The following pic shows the location of the clips. If you pull hard from the front, right where the "not an ashtray" is, you'll get it started, then just work your way back. The heated seat switches need to be unplugged.

3.) Remove upper pocket. Four clips hold this in. Pull hard on the bottom, once you get those to pop, the tops are pretty easy. Do not pull by the door. There's a light that you unplug, and the harness is clipped to the back of it. Here's a pic of the clips.

4.) Remove lower pocket. This one's easy; you can see all four screws. The accessory socket needs to be unplugged, and the harness is clipped.

5.) Pop the mat out of the console, and remove the two screws in the bottom. Then remove the two screws right behind the shifter and two more in front of the shifter-these are hard to see. Once these are out, you need to unhook the harness that goes to the second accessory socket, and also unhook the ebrake boot, and then it will pop right out.

I would also remove the metal bracket that the console screws to right behind the shifter-makes it easy to get the shifter out.

Removing the shifter is easy at this point, if you know the tricks. First, there are several wires that have been clipped into on the shifter, just for wire routing purposes. It would help to have a clip puller for audio installs. The four bolts that hold the shifter down come right out. There's big metal clip that holds down the center cable; it can be seen in this pic. Just pry it up from the bottom; pulling on it useless. The plastic retainer on the right cable just turns 90 degrees and lifts right out. Remove the cotter pin that holds the right cable to the shifter-be careful, it's thin. Then, turn the shifter over and pop the plastic ball out of the clip-you don't take the clip off, just spread it, it's very easy.

And you're left with this:

Popping this plastic ball off proved somewhat harder than it looks, but Comptech provides a tool to help you do it. Put it in a vice and pop it off. Then pop it onto the bottom of the Comptech S/S adapter. Next, place some loctite, also provided, on the bottom of the stock shifter rod, and also inside the S/S adapter. Push it on as far as it will go, and then tighten the set screws.

Putting it all back together is cake; couldn't have taken me more than 5 minutes. The only tip is to bang down that clip that holds the center cable with a flat head screwdriver and a hammer. I was able to push it halfway down.

Oh yeah, shifter bushings. Pull the rubber bushing out, put one new aluminum bushing below, and one above. Here's what one looks like.

I didn't take any pics of it put back together; it looks exactly as stock. It does not lower the height of the shifter at all, only the throw. I don't run the locknut, though, which allows the knob to go lower.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Excellent write up!, make a sticky!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice write up lannyM I decided going your way to pry out that middle clip was way to hard for me. I just did Neuspeeds install and took a 13mm wrench and yanked that little white ball off the stock shifter. I felt like the car was going to break, but it did come off without any problems. Other than that I broke the little light holding for the green light that shines in the removable tray.

Shifterbushings? I can't tell the difference honestly. I had them in first with my stock shifter then drove around. maybe they go better with the short shifter? Oh well, either way I was wondering if it was okay if i drove around without letting the Loctite cure for 24 hours?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Excellent write-up and pictures - thanks Lanny :thumbsup:

PixelHarmony said:
... Other than that I broke the little light holding for the green light that shines in the removable tray...
I could have sworn that all the lights in my TSX (including this one) are blue :donno:

·
Registered
328 Posts
can anyone give me some advice on getting the console around the shifter ?? i got it half ways out but it seems to be stuck right where the cup holder starts. if it helps in any way i have a 08 tsx. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found this write up to be a great help - thanks for posting. I removed the troublesome clip for the center cable (step 5) in a different manner as I had trouble prying it off - I removed the black metal box (amp?) located behind the "not an ashtray" pocket. This was held on by two screws - once removed, it gave me enough room to get my vice grips in there and remove the clip by pulling from above.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I referenced this during my own install yesterday. It was alittle harder then I thought because I ran into trouble almost anywhere you could and I have a bunch of wounded hands to prove it. In the end though it was worth it and reminds me of driving my old s2k which I miss. I also installed the Maven shift knob which feels great and looks good in our car and not tacky. I did take a few pictures of stuff that was not shown in this guide. I feel as though when I try and do something myself I want as many pictures as possible even if they are common sense.

I didn't have much trouble taking off the center console because I had already taken it to Acura to have the seat heater lights replaced. I started in the front and moved to the back and I wasn't able to get the back off so I used what I had heard somewhere and used a long rubber handle from one of my plyers to push up the back of the console from the parking break area:

When pulling out the top tray I almost forgot about the plastic harness in the back. Also the light comes out by rotating it 90 degrees. I pulled from the bottom and it just came right out:

When unscrewing the "Not an astray" I had trouble for second trying to unplug the lighter. Press where my thumb is and it will come right off:

This is what it looks like with the trays out of it:

When removing the armrest I didn't see the clip that connects the brake to the armrest:

The only way I was able to get the metal bracket off was by doing what PatsTSX said and using vicegrips. I also had to use long needle nose plyers to get the other plastic piece 90 degrees. I also ended up getting fed up with all those stupid plastic harness around the shifter so I just cut all of them and bought new ones at Honda. It saved me tons of headaches. I then had hell of a time getting the plastic ball off the bottom of the old shifter. I ended up finally getting it by pulling it towards me and I had just pryed it enough to be able to pull it off with my fingers. After that everything went smoothly. It took me all of a day to do but it was worth it. Here is a picture with the Maven knob installed and everything back together.

I referenced this picture gallery for removing the interior:
Tsx center console removal pictures from cars photos on webshots

I also used the Neuspeed install guide for other pictures:
http://www.neuspeed.com/data/installs/66.20.86.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread. I just installed this kit in my car yesterday and I absolutely love it. The pictures and instructions here helped a ton and I can't thank you guys enough.

Now to just replace the stock shift knob and I'll be good to go.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Ok I'm stuck where I need to remove the side panel because it's blocking my way to the shifter and I can't get to the last 2 bolts holding down the shifter up front

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,748 Posts
Never mind I figured it out and hope all this crap was really worth the time, going to reinstall everything in a few.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.