Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
computech, had me lookin at some new product.
COMPTECH shortshift is fine. i have one in my car, i like the short shift, it was popping out of gear on very rare occasions, but hasnt happened in a while.
i say its a good product, i probably wouldve gone for the spoon short shifter if it had been out. id say any company that has one is good enough
TSX Cman

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
TSX Cman said:
i probably wouldve gone for the spoon short shifter if it had been out. id say any company that has one is good enough
Don't you know that Spoon and Phase has short shifter replacements available? And no, the following blanket statement is highly untrue. Just because someone sells something ... Doesn't necessarily mean it's good enough especially when compared to OEM standards.

·
Registered
294 Posts
how is oem and shortshifting related?
i think that nuespeed/comptech should be near identical to any human. and ive had it for a while. the spoon was out a while after, and its expensive. i havnt heard of the phase one yet. but that about covers my statement of all companies.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
I'm talking about the quality of the shifter stroke. Yes, it is definitely related. I wouldn't put a substandard part into my car knowingly. Short shifters are basically a reduced stroke ...

It's not hard to manufacture or copy one anothers' design/styles/specifications, but I've seen short shifters that break, fail due to poor manufacturing standards covering materials used or basic constructed nature.

Spoon is unique? How so?

·
Registered
294 Posts
i like the one on one due to your quick responses. hah
i dont know what the 2 comptech/nuespeed are made of, but they look similar in design and application.
buyt the spoon is interesting because they replace the whole shift housing compared to just extending the shaft/rod. and it sits striaght upward, the rod is striaght compared to stock where is has a slight bend, then srtightens in the middle.

its unique, but not necassary. kind of a way to say your unique and add 250$ onto it

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
The straight stroke is designed to prevent mis-shift/engaging wrong gears when racing. Whether that's an improvement or not, that's up to one's personal intepretion.

·
Registered
157 Posts
02-Type-S, I currently have a short-shifter in my car. It's 2-days old
and am going to have it replaced over the weekend since I prefer the throw without it. it's a Comptech short shifter for 2004 Acura TSX. If interested, let me know and I can sell it to you.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
studdly said:
and am going to have it replaced over the weekend since I prefer the throw without it. it's a Comptech short shifter for 2004 Acura TSX. If interested, let me know and I can sell it to you.
Thanks for the offer studdly but I'm located in the UK. As I'm after a CAI I'm ideally trying to purchase both items from a store in order to simplify the shipping etc.

If I can find a CAI here for a reasonable price though I'll get back to you. Just out of interest how much would you be selling it for ?

Cheers

Darren

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
hey 02-Type-S! I'm from UK too..glad to see another one from UK!...just in the process of fitting the comptech shortshift to my Type-S......has probs with getting the silly white bushing off the end of the stick..will try again soon, your silver car looks good in that pic, did you get the A-spec for it? I've got some pics of my arctic blue with A-spec on here as well, where are you from in UK?

·
Vancouver, B.C.
255 Posts
studdly said:
it's 2 days old and u want to sell it? i just don't get why u want to do that..

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
i think he probably doesn't like the feel of it...either way if the guy wants to sell it why can't he???

·
Registered
294 Posts
2 things.
1) it takes a little to get used to the new throw. but youll learn it well.
2) its gonna be alot of fun getting the piece off your shift rod now that its glued the hell on

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
I FINALLY got the sucker on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeeze that white bushing takes a beating i had to use a ghetto rig wrench to do the job. I used a 13mm wrench on the bushing, then on the end of the 13mm wrench i hooked a 17mm wrench to get extra leverage...it still took a bit of force after that to get that bushing off!!!!!!!!!

02-Type-S...This was the comptech short shift...I am also in UK, gives the shifter a more mechanical feel and i like it! must also have to say that you need a bit more energy to get it to engage but boy it feels good!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alnug said:
I FINALLY got the sucker on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeeze that white bushing takes a beating i had to use a ghetto rig wrench to do the job. I used a 13mm wrench on the bushing, then on the end of the 13mm wrench i hooked a 17mm wrench to get extra leverage...it still took a bit of force after that to get that bushing off!!!!!!!!!

02-Type-S...This was the comptech short shift...I am also in UK, gives the shifter a more mechanical feel and i like it! must also have to say that you need a bit more energy to get it to engage but boy it feels good!
Hi alnug

Yeah, it's nice to see another Type-S from the UK. I'm based in Bucks at present. What about you ??

Haven't got the A-spec yet but am planning on it after I sort the short shifter and CAI out. I'm having to go through Comptech direct but will be shafted by the shipping I reckon so am thinking about the Icebox too. I don't think it has quite as good gains as the Injen but it'll make the shipping easier and the kit is some $40 cheaper too. I've not seen many reviews of the Icebox but I used to own a CTR and many have raved over them so they must be ok (similar engines and that).

Just out of interest where did you get your shifter from ??

·
UK Accord Type-S
109 Posts
hi 02-Type-s

I got mine from ebay!..there is a vendor on there who is an Acura dealer goes by the name of aofeparts....very reasonable shipping rates, I would ask them first instead of going direct to comptech.......it only took 4 days for me to get my parts! the short shifter is very good...but a pain to get that white bushing off!!

The A-spec is very good...on mine it improves every mile...gettting better each day..much more settled now..I'm in Newcastle by the way

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I finally got it on this afternoon (unfortunately not with the wife I might add :naughty: ) and I like the result !!

As alnug says it takes a little more effort to slot each gear in but it feels really short just like me old Type-R.

Not sure if many have this mod on but I can highly recommend it and fitting was straightforward too (about 1.5 hours with a tea break in between ;)). Managed to pop the white bushing off by clamping the lever in a workbench, sliding the supplied tool under the bushing and then using a heavy duty screwdriver (about 12" long) to lever the tool up.

I found AofE parts to be pretty good too (Acura of Escondido, CA). They originally quoted me $36 for an icebox and shifter whereas Comptech quoted me $115 :eek: . They were also cheaper on the parts too although I didn't end up getting the Icebox (Injen is calling my name).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts