Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This goes to all who have had experience with a short shifter....

when you put in the short shifter, did you find the gears grinding when you shifted? did the synchros still work?

I only ask, cause I have a friend that told me not to get the short shifter cause he had those problems in his supra.

Comptech is a reputable Honda aftermarket manufacture and it would surprise me if they made something for a Honda that wasn't good for it. Just wanted to see if you could shed some light on this. Thanks guys.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
5,350 Posts
spyguy said:

when you put in the short shifter, did you find the gears grinding when you shifted? did the synchros still work?

I only ask, cause I have a friend that told me not to get the short shifter cause he had those problems in his supra.

Comptech is a reputable Honda aftermarket manufacture and it would surprise me if they made something for a Honda that wasn't good for it. Just wanted to see if you could shed some light on this. Thanks guys.
lol, don't be surprise that comptech make sth for honda that is not good.
I had bad experience with them. Will never buy products from comptech again :thumbsdow

·
Registered
54 Posts
spyguy said:

I've never had any problems with Comptech in alll my years with their products, and their Customer Service has been great as well. Short shifters in general will not cause this, but you'll need to learn how to shift differently. Just make sure that you still have the clutch down while shifting as most people tend to release the clutch before it's in gear all the way.

-Jimmy

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
47 Posts
spyguy said:

It's difficult to comment on parts/mods on different cars as they all react differently. Although the philosophy is essentially the same i.e. an extension of one of the links in a chain, your mates' part could have been incompatible, poorly designed or fitted incorrectly.

I recently looked into buying a Comptech shifter and one of the guys here (studdly IIRC) had problems with the thing popping out of gear every now and then. A few others though have had no problems at all and a lot of peeps on ********* have had good results too. Given that the response was more good than bad I bought one, fitted it myself and my car has been fine.

Having installed one and seen what the shifter consists of, it is difficult to see how it could have a detrimental effect on the car as it's such a simplistic device. It is possible to get the installation wrong though or to have a car that is slightly different enough to cause a problem so this needs factoring in IMO.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
4,123 Posts
Grinding gears and synchros is not related to how the shifter's assembly/components. If you have a gear grind or synchro problem, it's more mechanically related to something in the actually clutch/gearing mechanism.

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
From a personal experience I have a Comptech Short Shifter in my car and I have had no problems whatsoever with Comptech. I have had some of their products on my 00 GSR and never had a problem. I love the Comptech SS in the TSX. Its shorter than the stock shifter and I havent had a problem with it coming out of gear, etc..

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JT2k4TSX said:
From a personal experience I have a Comptech Short Shifter in my car and I have had no problems whatsoever with Comptech. I have had some of their products on my 00 GSR and never had a problem. I love the Comptech SS in the TSX. Its shorter than the stock shifter and I havent had a problem with it coming out of gear, etc..
Thanks for your input JT2k4TSX. Did you find it hard to remove that white bushing a few people seem to be having problems removing?

Also, does anyone know if this voids warranty? Or better still, has anyone had experience with a short shifter installed and bringing it back to the dealer for whatever reason, and the dealer didnt' care about that mod?

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Hey spyguy I had a little problem with that...but once that was finished it was a piece of cake. That shouldnt void out your warranty b/c its a simple mod. The only way the dealership would ever tell if it was aftermarket would be for them to check it etc...but you shouldnt have any problems. You can buy it through the dealership and since its Comptech...it will have a warranty with it, etc... As far as I know the warranty should still be fine. If you have any other questions just let me know.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
spyguy said:
Thanks for your input JT2k4TSX. Did you find it hard to remove that white bushing a few people seem to be having problems removing?

Also, does anyone know if this voids warranty? Or better still, has anyone had experience with a short shifter installed and bringing it back to the dealer for whatever reason, and the dealer didnt' care about that mod?
If you had synchro problems, wether related to your short shift or not, the dealer could blame the SS for your problems and not cover it under warranty.

A short shift kit in itself won't cause problems, but shifting too fast, especially when cold, could cause grinding, so take it easy, especially on the 1st-2nd shift when cold, and you should be fine. And if you do have problems with the tranny down the road, pop the SS off before the trip to the dealer.......

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JT2k4TSX said:
You can buy it through the dealership and since its Comptech...it will have a warranty with it, etc... As far as I know the warranty should still be fine. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Acura has a short shifter kit available?????

Thanks guys. Great info for the newbie! I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhhhh

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
spyguy said:
Acura has a short shifter kit available?????

Thanks guys. Great info for the newbie! I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!!!ahhhhhhhhhh
No, but a lot of dealers sell aftermarket parts nowadays. The good thing about that is that if they sell it to you, they'll be much more likely to work with you on any issues that arise......

·
JT2k4TSX
172 Posts
Hey Spyguy what I was saying was Comptech and Acura have a contract for a partnership going to where Comptech will make products for Acuras and they can be sold at the Acura dealerships and would have a warranty with them so it wouldnt void out the actual warranty on the car. Acura itselt doesnt make the short shifter. They are made by Comptech but can be bought at the Acura dealerships.

·
2005 TSX 6MT Nav
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JT2k4TSX said:
Hey Spyguy what I was saying was Comptech and Acura have a contract for a partnership going to where Comptech will make products for Acuras and they can be sold at the Acura dealerships and would have a warranty with them so it wouldnt void out the actual warranty on the car. Acura itselt doesnt make the short shifter. They are made by Comptech but can be bought at the Acura dealerships.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts