Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was getting quotes for the Spring Install, Last shop I was at, one of the mechanics had a Blue TSX, said he did the ebach pro kit w/ stock struts and blew the struts w/ in a week.... This was the first ive heard of a major problem, anyone on here have the comptech w/ stock struts, how's it doing, any problems?

Also concerned because LI roads arnt terrific, any other nyers w/ droped TSX's having problems?

·
Donating TSXCLUB Member
629 Posts
Isn't the Comptech drop very minor? Or am I thinking of H&R?

A lot of people have the Eibach Pro with stock shocks and I don't believe they've had this problem or I would of found a thread about it, LOL.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Comptech 110-155s are only a 1" drop. Comptech 110-160s are made by Eibach and are most likely identical to Pro-kit springs. Neither of these should blow out the stock shocks within a week. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the shock to really be blown is if the shop cut the bumpstop too much which would cause the shock to excessively bottom out. Without rubber bumpstop protection at the very end of the compression, a shock very well may just blow out.

I think what more likely happened is, the guy had a TSX w/ a fair amt of miles - say 15K+ miles on the stock shocks. Then, when paired with aftermarket springs, the car feels too wallowy and he thinks the stock shocks are blown out when they are simply worn and can't control the stiffer springs.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AlterZgo said:
I think what more likely happened is, the guy had a TSX w/ a fair amt of miles - say 15K+ miles on the stock shocks. Then, when paired with aftermarket springs, the car feels too wallowy and he thinks the stock shocks are blown out when they are simply worn and can't control the stiffer springs.
I have the 115's sitting in my garage right now, but I attcually do Have 15,000 Miles on the car currently, so does that meen my stock struts cant handle the stiffer springs at this point?...

lol feel like such a n00b asking questions like this :deezo:

·
, Moderator Emeritus
1,514 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
I have the 115's sitting in my garage right now, but I attcually do Have 15,000 Miles on the car currently, so does that meen my stock struts cant handle the stiffer springs at this point?...

lol feel like such a n00b asking questions like this :deezo:
The ProKit would be a more aggressive drop than the 155 Comptechs. Depending upon how hard you drive, or how bad your roads are, the 155s shouldn't cause a problem with 15k stock struts. And there's really nothing else in the market that would be better, or safer.

But, any aftermarket spring will stress the factory struts, and they will fail earlier than if you left the stock springs in. So at some point, you will need to explore Koni's, or some other option. AlterZgo is doing the Neuspeed Koni's with the 155s; should be a nice combo.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LannyM said:
The ProKit would be a more aggressive drop than the 155 Comptechs. Depending upon how hard you drive, or how bad your roads are, the 155s shouldn't cause a problem with 15k stock struts. And there's really nothing else in the market that would be better, or safer.

But, any aftermarket spring will stress the factory struts, and they will fail earlier than if you left the stock springs in. So at some point, you will need to explore Koni's, or some other option. AlterZgo is doing the Neuspeed Koni's with the 155s; should be a nice combo.

Long Island Roads suck, and I drive like a Kid I guess, but im really not that hard on the suspension, Didnt really think id have a problem, and im really not in the position right now to drop a the 400$ on Koni's...In all respects If the guy hadnt said hed put the new springs on the struts for free ( I have to do all the work myself, removing the suspension) , I couldnt afford this at all right now....

just need to decide if im gonna do this or not, the cars gonna look great an inch lower, and I was planning on using the camber kits to dial the camber out a little bit, to improve the way she handles... tough decision lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Don't bother installing springs without the Neuspeed/Koni.

Neuspeed is 20 mm shorter for shorter springs.
My comptech 110-160 installed on the shorter Neuspeeds without
a spring compressor! They would be rattling loose on stock struts.

The guys struts probably didn't blow out. The rebound damping is
way too weak for additional spring rate. Add increasing spring rate
of 18" tires, the car bounces all over the place. It feels like the
struts are blown.

I am running the front Neuspeeds at 1-5/8 turn, max 2 turn,
that's how much damping these springs take.

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,199 Posts
I heard that you have to take the back seats in order to add my H&R springs. Is there is sticky where it show how to install springs on my TSX. Thanks.

·
owned ur ass
200 Posts
Well, ive been riding on eibach pros with stock struts now and they blew somewhere around 5,000 miles later. Alot depends on your driving style and how the roads are. If there lots of potholes or say a million speed bumps a day that you encounter, chances are that they wont last as long. Now its time to get a pair of koni yellows and put em in.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
7,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah thanks guys, I cant afford the Struts too...so im thinking ill sell the comptech kit this spring, and use the money towards Hondata

Anyone interested btw...155's

·
TSX of the Month Winner
1,092 Posts
You selling the 155's Memphis?

Email me at [email protected] and let me know what you want for them. I might be interested. I'm debating between Aspec and comptech 155 + koni right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
MemphisRheins said:
yeah thanks guys, I cant afford the Struts too...so im thinking ill sell the comptech kit this spring, and use the money towards Hondata

Anyone interested btw...155's
IMO, you will have no problems with the 155s on stock shocks. The front springs are just slightly stiffer than stock and the rear springs are actually softer than stock. The drop is mild at btw 1" to 1 1/8".

When I was installing my 155s w/Neuspeed Koni shocks, I found that the stock shocks (at least mine with only about 3K miles) had a suprisingly high amt of both compression and rebound damping. It would have had no problem working with the 155s.

Unless, you just have no interest anymore in lowering your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts