Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Already have Weapon-R, high flow cat, UR pulley, Hondata.

I know usually the Icebox adds maybe 6hp to a stock car which isn't much.

Given my existing mods is it reasonable to expect a 10-15hp gain from the icebox?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Not sure why you think it'd have more an effect due to other, unrelated mods than it would on its own.

It's an easy upgrade to the stock airbox, and is the one I went with because it's the quietest; I don't want a loud car, either exhaust or under the hood, though it does add a lower register kind of growl which is nice. And subjectively it feels like the engine pulls a little harder due to the improved airflow starting at around 3500 RPM.

You have basically the same set of bolt-on mods as I've got, except I have DC headers instead, and except for the UR pulleys - I got my car with them on from the previous owner and removed them, they caused me nothing but headaches with my belts and tensioners. Maybe they hadn't been installed or maintained well, I don't know, but a search will tell you I wasn't the only one for who all sorts of recurring belt, charging system, and alternator problems that plagued me for several months completely went away when I reverted from UR to OEM pulleys. (Note that the previous owner had been running them for at least 5 years.)

After going to OEM pulleys I did notice the engine no longer revved quite as freely as did with the UR pulleys, so they did have the intended effect. But that's fine for a DD and saving me all the maintenance headaches.

I will, however, admit that I added considerable load to the electrical system of the car from what the previous owner had done by significantly upgrading the audio system, and that it's possible the underdrive pulleys had been installed in such a way as to accomodate alternator/electrical use of the stock system's electrical draw and barely anything more. (I added an Alpine PDX-V9 amplifier driving four sets of component speakers and a 10" JL Audio subwoofer through an AudioControl EQS equalizer from the OEM head unit.) But I'll gladly take the audio upgrade over the pulley one any day!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
UR is probably unrelated, but i think Hondata and the header definitely play into it.

I've had the UR for close to 10 years, so far so good, my audio system is stock though, and i swapped every bulb possible with LEDs which probably lowers the load a tiny bit, i.e. at a traffic light when the brake bulbs are lit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Already have Weapon-R, high flow cat, UR pulley, Hondata.

I know usually the Icebox adds maybe 6hp to a stock car which isn't much.

Given my existing mods is it reasonable to expect a 10-15hp gain from the icebox?
I have only an icebox and reflash on my tsx, It feels 90% stock except maybe some more low end responsiveness and the lower vtec engagement from the reflash. The icebox is all I can hear from the car entirely bc the stock exhaust is so restrictive and trying to sound luxury or something lol. I think without a tune you wont feel much difference, maybe a nicer vtec kick but that probably it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts