Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a must read for anyone buying a new car!!!
It is a bit long, but well worth the read, and ultimately will save you a lot of money!
Please take the time to read it all :)

What really goes on in the back rooms of car dealerships across America?

What does the car salesman do when he leaves you sitting in a sales office and goes to talk with his boss?

What are the tricks salespeople use to increase their profit and how can consumers protect themselves from overpaying?

These were the questions we, the editors at Edmunds.com, wanted to answer for our readers. But how could they really know that our information was accurate and up-to-date? Finally, we came up with the idea of hiring an investigative reporter to work in the industry and experience, firsthand, the life of a car salesman.

We hired Chandler Phillips, a veteran journalist, to go undercover by working at two new car dealerships in the Los Angeles area. First, he would work at a high-volume, high-pressure dealership selling Japanese cars. Then, he'd change over to a smaller car lot that sold domestic cars at "no haggle" prices.

We invite you to read the following account of Phillips' day-to-day experience on the car lots. Doing so will broaden your understanding of the dealership sales process. It will also cast a new light on the role of the car salesman. And, finally, it will help you get a better deal — and avoid hidden charges — the next time you go to buy or lease a new car.

Read, learn and enjoy.

— The editors at Edmunds.com
http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html?tid=edmunds.a.landing.buying..4.*

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Yes. I read that a while ago. A long read but worth it.
Extremely interesting.

I remember that I disagreed with some of the things that are presented as fact. Like, that anybody who walks into a dealership is as much of a potential buyer as anyone else even if they say they're not; and that it's not good for a salesman to just leave a customer alone to look around, he needs to keep talking to him. (At least I think it says those things.) Neither of these things is a main point of the article, but I did notice that in passing it says a few things that are debatable at best.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
10,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, a great read indeed! In fact, I was up until 1:30am reading it, as I couldn't stop!!
The two situations you brought up were actually what they were taught as salesmen. Whether it is an actual fact or not, it is more of a tactic to get people into a new car.
As he stated, it can be very effective, yet also very annoying.

·
, Administrator Emeritus
2,496 Posts
I started reading it, so far very interesting. Hopefully will finish reading it later today. :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
GRAYTSX said:
.....Has anyone seen the movie "Suckers".
I never heard of it
but I think I should have.

Let's see.....

"How can you help but love a movie that starts with a title card reading, "This shit's true..."

Detailing the wacky misadventures over a month on the job at an auto dealership, apparently car sales is a far nuttier career choice than anyone had imagined. In fact, it's downright vicious, especially the way it's done at South Side, where bossman Daniel Benzali (channeling Alec Baldwin's Glengarry Glen Ross character) is the kind of megalomaniacal nightmare you run into only in politics and Hollywood.

The salesmen all have their own curious stories that follow them on and off the job. One salesman has sex with a woman on a test drive and she steals the ride. Another deals with racism as he tries to get his sister out of Afghanistan. But mostly the movie follows Bobby (Louis Mandylor), who's in debt to loan sharks and takes the car sales job to please his wife Donna (Lori Laughlin). The front of the movie is enjoyable enough because it's a comedy -- watching the salesmen screw one customer after another out of his money. And it's totally believable (co-writer Joe Yanetty was once a car salesman). But by the midpoint, the film has devolved into a mob/smuggling/drug story, which is not only unbelievable, it's not interesting."

Thinking of changing my sig a little so it'll be what that title card says. :D

·
Registered
102 Posts
The movie is kind of bizzare. But a salesman recently told me that old school dealers really do use tactics like they did in the movie.
No one has this movie for rent. I got an import version cheap from ebay.

Oh, and Larch, you SHOULD use that phrase in your sig.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Hey Gray, how do you like my new avatar? :jump:

Don't worry, won't keep it too long. Ultimately it has to be just GrayTSX's trademark.

·
Registered
102 Posts
larchmont said:
Hey Gray, how do you like my new avatar? :jump:

Don't worry, won't keep it too long. Ultimately it has to be just GrayTSX's trademark.
I haven't been on here in about a week. If you're talking about the whipping smilies you had before, I didn't mind. I share.

Now if you're talking about Beavis, here's another one for you....

Attachments

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
No no, Gray, not in the eye! In my nose would be cool, in my mouth and my ears, yeah yeah heh heh yeah that would be cool, even maybe in my..... :banned:

One of the best moments was when they were in Mr. Van Driesen's class, and the camera goes off them for a couple of seconds, and when it comes back to them, they have pencils in every imaginable facial orifice.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
8,663 Posts
Ah yes...Larchmont...the Great Cornholio...
TP For your bunghole? :D

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
TSX 'R' US said:
Ah yes...Larchmont...the Great Cornholio...
TP For your bunghole? :D

Yes, one of the all-time greats.

Some lines:

"How come we're going to Stewart's house?" "'Cuz I heard he's got diarrhea."

"Is Beavis having a problem that I should know about?"

"That's strange, I just read about a study that says sugar isn't supposed to cause hyperactivity."

"Señor Beavis! Donde esta tu hallpass?"

(Aren't you glad you asked?)

K

·
0 Posts
Im a car salesman if anyone needs advise let me know. (Im from fresno by the way california)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
KIYOSHIS_CL7 said:
Im a car salesman if anyone needs advise let me know. (Im from fresno by the way california)
Great to have you -- BTW is it Acuras that you sell?

P.S. If you feel like saying anything about some of the things in that story, it might be interesting........

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is an interesting story, I haven't finish reading yet but some of the things in it aren't true everywhere though!

I was a car salesman before in a Acura and a Honda store, now I'm a part owner of a dealership.

More comments later on!

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
rayyu882 said:
It is an interesting story, I haven't finish reading yet but some of the things in it aren't true everywhere though!
I was a car salesman before in a Acura and a Honda store, now I'm a part owner of a dealership.
More comments later on!
Looking forward to them!

Of course those things aren't true everywhere, and we're glad about it.
For one thing, I would have walked out of any dealership where it was like that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a very enjoyable article, it pointed out lots of good and bad things about car dealerships.

I must say that there are dealerships that are high pressure, which in their books there is no such thing as be-back customer, the moment you walk out of those dealership, they don't expect you to return, therefore they will hit you with all tricks that they know how before you leaves. Some of them even keep your trade-in car key and refuse to return it to you for a long while just to try to make a customer give up and make a deal happen.

However there are dealerships that are much more easy going, off course they still need to generate their profit, but the way that they do to get it will be so different, as the article pointed out, they have less management involved in the deal, it won't have that many processes a salesmen need to follow thru. The key to those dealership is referals and return customers, which many cases it works pretty well... If you have a wonderful car buying experience, you definitely will share that with your families & friends, and parhaps buy your next car from the salesman that you trusted the most.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts