Acura TSX Forum banner

Congrats Canada (WJC)!!!

3K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  Benz 
#1 ·
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (CP) - The Canadian junior men's hockey team put on a dominating display of hockey to win the gold medal at the world junior championship Tuesday with a 6-1 win over Russia.

#2 ·
More on the game...

After finishing a heartbreaking second the last three years in this tournament, Canada left nothing in doubt by scoring four times in the second period for a five-goal after heading into the final 20 minutes. The sellout crowd of 11,862 at the Ralph Engelstad Arena - the majority of them Canadian - began singing goodbye to the Russian team midway through the third period.

Russia had no answer for a Canadian defence that gave up only 19 shots on starter Jeff Glass.

It was the first world junior title for Canada since 1997, when the country capped a run of five straight gold medals.

Canada scored three power-play goals and its penalty killers held the vaunted Russian power-play to one lone goal in the first period.

The Canadian team played with controlled emotion and relentless determination.

Ryan Getzlaf, Danny Syvret, Jeff Carter, Patrice Bergeron, Anthony Stewart and Dion Phaneuf scored for Canada, which lost the 2002 and 2003 championship games to Russia.

Getzlaf, who was a standout in the game for Canada, and Andrew Ladd each had two assists.

Bergeron was named tournament MVP while Phaneuf was chosen the top defenceman. Both were named to the all-star team, too, along with Carter.

Russian defenceman Alexei Emelin scored a power-play goal for Russia in the first period.

Star Alexander Ovechkin was used sparingly in the second period and at the start of the third period, he was out of his skates and in his track pants on the Russian bench. He appeared to be favouring his right shoulder.

Canada put the boot on in the second period with four unanswered goals - two of them on the power play - and chased Russian goaltender Anton Khudobin at 3:33 after the Minnesota Wild draft pick gave up three goals on 15 shots. He was replaced by Andrei Kuznetsov.

Phaneuf's shot from the blue-line beat Kuznetsov's outstretched glove at 13:19 to make it 6-1 for Canada. Stewart tipped in a Nigel Dawes pass at 8:54.

Kuznetsov gave up a long rebound on a Sidney Crosby blast and Corey Perry chipped it over to Bergeron who had an open net at 7:53.

Carter whipped a sharp-angled shot from the boards by Khudobin to spark Canada's outburst and send the Russian goaltender to the bench.

Canadian goaltender Jeff Glass didn't face a lot of shots again behind a formidable defence, but he did make a glove same from close range on Enver Lisin after Carter's goal.

Canada had a five-minute man advantage late in the second period after Toronto Maple Leafs draft pick Dimitri Vorobiev put his stick in Dawes' face and was given a major and a game misconduct.

Emelin pulled Russia within a goal before the first period expired. His shot through traffic with 32 seconds remaining gave Russia a power-play goal.

Canada had taken a 2-0 lead on Syvret's power-play goal at eight minutes. Braydon Coburn's shot on net hit the end boards and Syvret collected it and banked it off Anton Khudobin.

Getzlaf scored 51 seconds into the game when he took a Carter drop pass and blasted it by Khudobin.

Canada killed off a 1:12 worth of a two-man Russian advantage early in the first period after Perry took an interference minor and Shea Weber hauled down Evgeni Malkin for a tripping penalty.

This Canadian junior team was the country's best in a long time and arguably the best ever. The NHL lockout combined with spike in talent in Canadian players born in 1985 made the 2005 team a formidable one. Players who might not have otherwise been available to the Canadian team from their NHL clubs were still playing in the junior ranks.

The closest team in depth and talent to this one may have been the team in 1995 - the last time there was an NHL labour disruption - and Canada dominated that tournament in Red Deer, Alta.

Canada outscored the opposition 32-5 during the round-robin portion of this tournament to finish first in Pool B. A 3-1 semifinal win over the Czech Republic, in which Glass faced only 11 shots and fewer quality scoring chances, sent Canada to the final of this tournament for the fourth straight year.

While the team's road to the final looked easy on paper, it wasn't without adversity as defence Cam Barker was sent home after three games with mononucleosis, forward Jeremy Colliton was able to play just over one period with a knee injury and defenceman Brent Seabrook played through a shoulder injury he suffered on the first day of selection camp.

Head coach Brent Sutter, a Stanley Cup winner during his 18-year NHL career and a former international player for Canada, guided the team with a firm, but intelligent hand.

This was Canada's oldest team at the world juniors and with a record number of returning players from last year's tournament in Helsinki, they knew the drill and what was at stake.

A dozen players on this squad played for Canada last year and suffered the disappointment of wasting a two-goal lead in the third period. The U.S. scored three times in the period to win 4-3.

Attendance at the 2005 tournament was 195,771, which fell short of the record set by Halifax in 2003 at 242,173. The hundreds of Canadians who made the trek to Grand Forks, two hours south of the Manitoba border, swelled the number of spectators in the stands.

Tuesday's gold-medal game was as close to a home game for the Canadian team as it could be without actually being in the country.

The 2006 world junior hockey championship will be held in Vancouver, Kamloops and Kelowna, B.C.

© The Canadian Press 2005

#10 ·
Stupid ESPN said they wouldn't put the gold medal game on 'cause US didn't make it.

What a bunch of crock. Show the entire series or don't show it at all.

Wish I got TSN down here.

#12 ·
NeoChaser said:
also i dono how to feel for Ovechkin, he was so cocky in the game vs us... and then
watch him cry like that in the finals...
I do not feel bad for him in the least!
It's like I said (karma), what comes around, goes around.
While watching that game here (US/Russia) even the announcer said that if he tries this stuff in the NHL, he will get his head taken off... You know the Canadian team was watching that game ;)
Joker - who couldn't believe the way the Russian team acted after beating up the US team.. Especially the Russian coach who (looking at the US coach) blew a kiss, winked, and pointed to the score board :thumbsdow

#13 ·
Revenent said:
Stupid ESPN said they wouldn't put the gold medal game on 'cause US didn't make it.

What a bunch of crock. Show the entire series or don't show it at all.

Wish I got TSN down here.

I watched it on TSN last night, what a great game!

#14 ·
Joker said:
I do not feel bad for him in the least!
It's like I said (karma), what comes around, goes around.
While watching that game here (US/Russia) even the announcer said that if he tries this stuff in the NHL, he will get his head taken off... You know the Canadian team was watching that game ;)
Joker - who couldn't believe the way the Russian team acted after beating up the US team.. Especially the Russian coach who (looking at the US coach) blew a kiss, winked, and pointed to the score board :thumbsdow

not very classy....

but then again.... maybe i should shut up but .. not to flame or anything...
let's go back to nagano Hotel: 0 - Team USA: 1

#15 ·
NeoChaser said:
let's go back to nagano Hotel: 0 - Team USA: 1
That was the worst ever! Sad thing is that it was pretty much known that it was Chris Chelios who did that, and do to him not excepting the blame, the whole team took the brunt of it :thumbsdow
He did send a check to repay them for the repairs, but that did not save face with the Japanese.. nor should it have

#18 ·
Joker said:
That was the worst ever! Sad thing is that it was pretty much known that it was Chris Chelios who did that, and do to him not excepting the blame, the whole team took the brunt of it :thumbsdow
He did send a check to repay them for the repairs, but that did not save face with the Japanese.. nor should it have

That i dind't know, i thought it was the whole team.... never liked detroit
very much... esp Chelios... oh well, it's history

#19 ·
Long story short (at the 1998 Olympics - Nagano Japan) the all-star USA hockey team got their ass handed to them, and then went back to their hotel room's and trashed them.
Chair's were broken, picture's ripped off the wall's, and a fire extinguisher was thrown threw a window, almost hitting people below.
At the time, the player's just left everything that way, and the Japanese people were PISSED to say the least.
Japan then asked that the USA team tell them who did it, and nobody would say who did it. All of the player's stuck together, as to not rat on the one who did it.
As I said above, Chelios sent a check, but Japan did not want it.. they wanted to know who was responsible.
The whole thing was just wrong.. A select few (Chelios) acted like babies for getting beat, and the least they could have done was be men, and own up to what was done!

Ironic that it is Chelios who comments in this article...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/artic...rchive/2001/11/25/SP108931.DTL&type=printable

#21 ·
johnej said:
that is a very interesting article, but I wonder, what is the 2006 olympic hockey team going to look lilke? More people from the 8 years before??
As of right now no.. Because the NHL has said it will not send NHL player's to the next Olympis if a new CBA is not in place soon (lockout ended).
Joker - who feels like we are being held hostage by the NHL :thumbsdow

#22 ·
can the jr's play? crosby can play..but wut about ppl like jeff carter and dion phaneuf
even tho they've been drafted are they sitll property of the NHL? my guess is not right?

even if those jr's can play, they are no match to the swedish elite's imo...

#23 ·
NeoChaser said:
can the jr's play? crosby can play..but wut about ppl like jeff carter and dion phaneuf
even tho they've been drafted are they sitll property of the NHL? my guess is not right?
This is a very good question, that I do not know the answer to :donno:
It will be very interesting to see how the next couple of weeks go. Gary Bettman is said to have an announcement on January 14th, that everyone expects to be the cancelation of the entire season :(
I guess we'll know more then about what is going to happen.

#24 · (Edited)
Go Canucks! Congrats! :)

What the heck happened to team USA (juniors)? :(

BTW, Nagano was stupid, but no need to bring it up...it's just bad history that we better not repeat.

#26 ·
Joker said:
Beat by Russia in the simi's, and lost in the bronze medal game in overtime to the Czech's
:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.