Acura TSX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the audio system could play mp3, but i wonder could we play dvd, cdr, cdrw and vcd in the system.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
tsxclub said:
dont think so or else they would mention it..
yeah it's not something they NORAMLLY do.. but
there is a program or somethingthat can get around the thing stoping it from working.. hmm that makes no sense unless you understand what i'm saying :p

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hei... Thanks for the website. But then, will it damage the navi system if i install that TV-NAV tuner thingy in?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The company says Nav stays intact.

My question would be would it void the warranty? Especially after what I read about a few folks having Nav problems.

Tempting though :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that unit from avelectronic installed in my car, and the stock navi is perfect. there is no cutting of wires or anything.

this only allows for the video input to the screen, you would still need a stand alone dvd player, as the stock dvd only reads data.

btw the picture looks good on the screen.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
carbontsx01 said:
so where can I get the box to run dvd's on my screen
Especially with all the posts you're doing, I would hope we could come up with an answer.

(If he keeps it up, he's going to be ahead of me by next week.) :D

I don't know for sure, but does this site help? I think probably it does.....

http://www.avelectronic.com/PhotoGallery.htm

I think you'd still need a separate DVD player.

BTW this has been asked a lot on the TSX sites -- many people have been interested, but it doesn't seem like more than 1 or 2 people have done it. Maybe too hard, maybe too expensive (probably $500 or a little more), maybe too cumbersome.

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
Well, look what I found.....

On another site (not "the" other site), I saw a post from this guy who owns a company in New York City that does this. Seems like the cost is $700 or less, including installation I think.

MOBILE ELECTRONICS OF NY
e-mail: [email protected]

It seems also that they can add a back-up camera.

·
Registered
549 Posts
well - i had the avelectronic unit installed in my car... my suggestion is... if you have any problems with the screen... unhook the tuner and take it out... before you take it to the dealer...they will have no idea... :)

if you still want it... let me know... i will give you my personal experience and suggestions :)

·
, Moderator Emeritus
10,086 Posts
vp911 said:
well - i had the avelectronic unit installed in my car... my suggestion is... if you have any problems with the screen... unhook the tuner and take it out... before you take it to the dealer...they will have no idea... :)

if you still want it... let me know... i will give you my personal experience and suggestions :)
How about telling us how it is?

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
*** I found this at another forum please feel free to pm with where this is NOT MY ORIGINAL MATERIAL I AM JUST SHARING IT***
I quote:
"I recently made some progress with my computer install. There are some shots of the Windows desktop, but the main software used is MediaEngine, which can be selected as the default shell; meaning it boots up and shuts down the PC, so the desktop is never seen. The program functionality is controlled entirely with the credit card-sized remote and an infrared reciever (as shown).

I only use the IR/Touchpad for input. I am sure the Touchscreen hack could be done, but the Navi Touchscreen only has a finite amount of touchpoints that can be registered. so the mouse would be limited to move in "chunks" of about 1/2 inch.
The software is FREE! - Here is where i got it http://mediaengine.org/

the installation of the shutdown controller.
http://home.comcast.net/~bsomm22/

That box is the AVelectronics unit that allows and composite video source to be displayed on the Nav. It plugs into the back of the Nav DVD drive...I plan on hiding this behind the trunk lining. Just need the weather to get a little better...

And i didnt use a power inverter, it runs straight off 12V.

Yeah i think i played around with that software long ago...but MediaEngine has more functionality, and it is entirely controlled with the little remote...

Plus this software has an option where as soon as the home network is detected, it automatically synchronizes a designated folder on my home pc with the car pc. it will update any new songs, movies....etc automatically

·
, Moderator Emeritus
454 Posts
pART 2

How To:
The video on the nav screen uses the same unit as DVD player conversions. Its the TV Tuner bought from ww.avelectronic.com. The PC has onboard TV out (composite) and this goes into the Tv Tuner input with an RCA cable.

For sound i use the onboard soundcard and run directly to the head unit's aux input - i use the SHOND3 unit that others from this forum have used for their XM or IPOD installs.

The power supply is a DC-DC board that came with the case. This allows the computer to run directly off of the car battery (with voltage regulator), and also eliminates the aweful hum that most power inverters give off. However, i ended up buying a similar PSU called PW-70A from Ebay. This has a little more power then the original 60W PSU. I recommend getting this unit unless you have very little power requiremnts. Another suggestion is to buy one of the DC-DC units units here www.dc2dc.com

The input method used is a small IR remote with an IR reciever. The software (Media Engine) has built in IR commands and allows each button on the remote to be programmed to any keyboard function.

Hardware
Motherboard: Epia Mini-ITX M9000 933Mhz w/ 256 MB DDR PC 2700 RAM. This motherboard has all peripherals integrated on the motherboard, including onboard sound (with 5.1 available), ethernet, USB, firewire, video/TV out (VGA, Composite and S-Video), 1 PCI slot, mouse and keyboard, serial and parallell ports. Cost app. 160$.

www.mini-itx.com
Also I hung around the mp3car forum for a while to get a good understanding of what i would need. www.mp3car.com <---Lots of good ideas and info there, just read, read and read

60 GB Maxtor HD

Linksys PCI 802.11b wireless card. Great for random wireless access points like in a mall parking lot or in front of Barnes & Noble.

PC Case: Morex 2699R with 60W DC-DC power supply. This PSU takes 12V DC power with a 1/4" barrel connector. This allows the computer to run directly off of the car battery. WARNING: the voltage output fluctuates during normal operation of a vehicle. I use a 12V regulator to clean up the signal and ensure the Mobo wont get fried.

Boot up and Shut Down
I was lucky enough to have a friend build me a custom shutdown controller and 12V regulator all in one small circuit. This unit simulates the power button being pressed with the ignition switch. There is a 6 second delay so when the car is started, the PC waits 6 seconds before booting up, accounting for engine cranking power/voltage drop. Windows is set to suspend/hibernate upon the power button being pressed. This allows the computer to be fully functional in less than 10 seconds, instead of doing a full boot up everytime i take a trip to the gas station or store. There is slight power draw when the PC suspends to RAM, but it is negligable unless the car is off for over a week.

There is also a manual override function to turn off the ignition shutdown functionality. This is good if i dont want the pc to start everytime i take a drive.

Although i am sure they exist, i was unable to find a decent 12V regulator that i could buy, so my friend built me one.

Software
Default Shell: Media Engine. I believe this software uses an Access database to play and organize all media on the HD, using Windows Media Player.

This software has many useful features since it was desinged strickly for a car pc application. One clever feature is "autosync on network connection" option. All i have to do is specify a folder on my home PC, and link it to the media folder on the car pc. When i pull into the parking lot and the wireless signal is detected, the PC automatically compares the 2 folders and adds any new files from my home pc to the car.

Media Engine also supports IR remote button assignment used to emulate keyboard presses.

Other convienent features included are the "favorites" menu. As I scroll through my music directories and i see a song that i want to listen to, there is a shortcut on the IR remote that automatically queues the selection into the favorites list. Since the entire software is based on an Access Database, it automatically saves all playlist info as you navigate through the menus...etc. In fact, the software even remembers what song was playing and where it was before shut down. For example, if I am listening to NIN and am half way through a song, and i turn off the car, when i start back up it continues playing the song from the same spot it left off

the Nav runs in the background. The voice will still mute the speakers, etc and give directions.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i installed a computer... such as the one you found in the other forum...

as far as the install... i had circuit city do it... just because i dont know what im doing when it comes to power - although i am sure it is faily simple... besides i like to be able to hold somebody resposible if something gets screwed up :)

the unit from avelectronic is great... they have released a version with an S-VIDEO input... it is more expensive than the regular one; however, gives you a better picture quality. I would HIGHLY suggest getting that version

as far as the install... i suggest using zip ties and attaching it underneath the dvd drive in the trunk for the navi...

you need to unplug one cable from the dvd drive, hookup the pins from the tv tuner into that plug...and then hook the other plug from the tv tuner into the dvd drive... that takes all of 60 seconds

you need to get your power cables to the tv tuner - i dont know how circ city does it..but i believe you can get it from the same power going to the dvd drive

there is also a "brake" wire which you connect to your brake - this prevents you from using the dvd drive while driving - if you ground it and not hook it up to the brake, you can watch anything while driving (you cannot hold me responsible if you do this - it is probably illegal in most if not all states)

there is also the reverse wire - which connects to your reverse light - incase you decide to get the rear view camera.

there is a switch which allows you to turn off the tuner and go back to the navi - i have it mounted underneath the dash, however if i did this again, iw ould have them put it next to the sunroof and vsa buttons.

the IR rcvr for the remote is under the dash by the passangers feet...

the remote is basically the size of a credit card - VERY small... works great

if you are watching a movie, and have the navi on... the navi will mute the voice of the dvd and allow you to hear the directions...

the other thing is... there is an fm modulator built into the system... i am still trying to decide if i want to use theirs or use the aux input... ill probably end up using the fm modulator for now... (i just had the system installed two days ago)

i have spent all my time the last couple days using the system - it works great overall... no complaints - well except you might lose the remote..ha just keep it in your cubby hole and all is good...

i do not have a dvd player hooked up...instead i have a mini computer mounted in the trunk - computer was $400 - i built it from parts on newegg... and i can access the dvd drive on it from flipping down the back seat... works well for me at least... i am replacing the hard drive with a bigger one so i can rip dvds and save them on the hard drive so i do not have to switch dvds all the time... and prevents skipping

i use mediaengine ontop of windows xp pro.... allows me to use my mp3s and videos... works well.... i have a wireless card in the comp so when i pull in my garage - it will automatically sync with a folder on my computer at home - so if i have new mp3's or files or anything - it will be saved to the comp in the car

the navi screen works very well for displaying video... but dont bother trying to use your computer as a computer... the resolution on the screen is not good enough to support it...

a lot of people use third party remotes such as the creative remote to control the computer... i use the gyration mouse and keyboard - well i dont use the keyboard because i dont sit there and type any papers or anything :)..just the mouse to navigate...

umm i dont think im missing anything...but if i think of anything else ill post it...

if anybody wants the system... let me know... i am going to find out if i can get some sort of discount on the unit for people who i refer to them... afterall i need to give back to the tsx community somehow... and no i dont get any referral money from him...-- i only wish :)....

just to recap - if you are going to spend the money... spend the extra and get the s-video version ( it is NOT shown on their website yet... avelectronic.com)

i will post pictures after i put the new hard drive in and mount it back up in the trunk...

let me know if anybody has any questions

·
Registered
549 Posts
OOOH one other thing...with the computer... right now i have a power inverter hooked up to an APC battery backup - which automatically turns off the computer safely when you cut power to the inverter by turning off the car....

you have to manually turn it back on... i am waiting for the power supply from opussolutions.com and i can connect the power directly from the car to it..and it will automatically turn on and off when the car is turned on and off...

fun stuff :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts